Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Save your pennies there are really good things to come out of this 3.4. Mercury is well aware of the gear case issue and hydrodynamic downfalls for many applications and the corrections are coming soon. Its like what we went through with two stroke bikes, pwcs, and snowmobiles (the first ones were a disappointment) but most would never go back to two strokes if they were available today. There will be a high hp, higher torque, good case, and strong offshore mid. motor coming out of this 3.4 platform. The only unknown is going to be gearing and or propellers that will keep it off of the limiter for our applications.

I will be willing to jump ship "at least for one" when they come out based on what I was told.

Joe
    Last edited by JPEROG; 02-19-2018 at 12:25 PM.

2. Likes noli liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what mother mercs plan is but... They already make a verado 300,350,400r for the big boats, now they have a lighter v6 for bass and mid size fishing boats.. Bass tournaments are hp limited, most fishing boats that use 225 or 250s will have some benefit with the weight savings but for anything bigger the verado will be fine on. Sooo...why would they pump the new v6 up past 250 when the verado will fit the bill for that application, why put a sporty on it when they quit selling cleavers which proves they could care less about our little world.. I'm sure a hp version will come from the platform but I doubt it will do anything spectacular for our boats, if they supercharge it and put it on a shorter mid with the .544 sporty it will probably gain weight so what would it be a fit for that the short 400 doesn't work on. Just an observation.. Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    I disagree, getting 250 - 300 hp from a 3.4L NA motor isn’t difficult at all..
    Heck no, it isn’t difficult..... It’s so easy, Mercury did it over 3 decades ago, but it was 2-stroke, and called a Cosworth....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPERF View Post
    I have no idea what mother mercs plan is but... They already make a verado 300,350,400r for the big boats, now they have a lighter v6 for bass and mid size fishing boats.. Bass tournaments are hp limited, most fishing boats that use 225 or 250s will have some benefit with the weight savings but for anything bigger the verado will be fine on. Sooo...why would they pump the new v6 up past 250 when the verado will fit the bill for that application, why put a sporty on it when they quit selling cleavers which proves they could care less about our little world.. I'm sure a hp version will come from the platform but I doubt it will do anything spectacular for our boats, if they supercharge it and put it on a shorter mid with the .544 sporty it will probably gain weight so what would it be a fit for that the short 400 doesn't work on. Just an observation.. Dave
    Why? Platform consolidation and competition. Verado’s are big, heavy and expensive to build and buy, a smaller, lighter, less expensive 250 and 300 takes sales from Yamaha and Evinrude and there are plenty of mid sized boats that need more than a single but don’t like 1340lbs hanging off the transom.

As for stopping production of cleavers, that’s really simple, people stopped buying them. It has nothing to do with “caring” about anyone. Luckily it’s not that expensive for them to create the sporty lower, they still sell enough to make it worth doing and it also steals sales from the others since it’s something they can’t offer.

Bottom line, Mercury will build what they can sell and if it doesn’t sell it goes away.
    Mark

6. Likes JPEROG liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it hard to believe they sell more ETs than 3 blade cleavers but who knows.. Being a 3.4 they definitely have allot to work with and time will tell..I hope they do keep a small case sporty in production if not were screwed..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would like to know what allowed the reduction in weight and the increase in available power. As of now it seems to be just smoke in a box. Any body know what is in the box? (cowling).

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    250 HP is what tournament bassboats run. Professionals and most weekend anglers. It is the the HP that goes on every flagship bassboat. Bassboats are weight sensitive. To succeed in that market they need a 505 lbs or less 250. I am sure that Merucry has a solution here.

I was hoping that this 475 lbs motor had some more displacement and made 250/300 HP. My 2009 250 XS dynos at 275 ish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Newer Pro XS's not as strong as the older merc racing 250 XS....Be lucky to have 255hp imo.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think if Mercury makes a 250 pro xs version that is quicker and lighter than a 250 pro xs opti, they'll have a homerun. Yamaha did it with the 250 SHO and that motor is extremely popular. I guess time will tell

12. Likes tux974 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
    I think if Mercury makes a 250 pro xs version that is quicker and lighter than a 250 pro xs opti, they'll have a homerun. Yamaha did it with the 250 SHO and that motor is extremely popular. I guess time will tell
    This is the one everyone is hoping for in the bassboat community.
    [IMG][/IMG]

14. Likes tux974 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additional information including preliminary pricing and Mercury Racing futures (opinion as far as I can ascertain)

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2018...mercury-marine
    Mark

16. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Embrace the new technology. As far as the lower, 1.85:1 gears and it has low water pickups, and the engine is capable of decent high speed handling, similar to semi solid mounts. It doesn't use a traditional compressed rubber mount, but a integrated clamp style mount. The engine is so smooth and silent, it's ridiculous.

There will be ProXS versions. And there will be more from Mercury Racing, not necessarily based on this, I am not allowed to say. But, just think about what the older platforms are, what is a good selling category and I am sure you can do the math.

Lower of the 3.4

Cutaway

Rigged, with a Bob's plate and Uflex steering

Last edited by WavetoWave; 02-20-2018 at 03:12 PM.

18. Likes mjw930, Headless Hula, tux974 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GC bolt pattern looks like 3l, That plastic cap in the front of the GC sealing water from the oil looks like it could be a PIA, electric shift actuator down in the water too.?

20. Likes powerabout liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4