Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bearing carrier stuck bigtime

This thread is my last resort before I destroy a coned case... Driveshaft seized in lower unit while running over 2 weeks ago...was going to rebuild it but have spent the better part of 2 weeks trying to get the carrier removed and it will not budge. Here's a list of all the things I have tried already:

1. Puller has been on it since day one (2 weeks) and in a serious bind...afraid to turn it anymore or something will break, snap or strip.
    2. Soaked in vinegar for 6 days straight.
    3. Then soaked in Marvel Mystery oil for 7 days straight.
    4. Torch/heat cycles are somewhere between 20-25 by now since I have been heating it up to 2 times per day for 2 weeks straight .
    5. Mini sledge taps on the bullet have turned into mini sledge smacks in between each heat cycle.
    6. Have rigged up a slide hammer to hook to my puller and have been slide hammering the puller which remains in a serious bind.
    7. Been hitting the end of the bearing carrier rim inside the bullet with a large punch and mini sledge.
    8. Have invented so many new and very colorful curse words.

I've never seen anything stuck like this in my life before...except for maybe some married guys. I'm about a day away from buying another case and cutting this thing in half to salvage whatever hard parts I can...and the cone of course. Unless you guys have some suggestions I haven't tried yet. It's a Bob's coned lefty Yamaha case off a 300 HPDI that has been cut down from 25" to 20" shaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower...it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

02 Dodge Cummins 2500 reg cab 4x4, converted long to short bed, up a foot, twins, injectors, fully built auto, dyno'd 582hp/1015tq

99 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe, 8.0L V-10, lowered 1", Corsa pipes/no cats, 450hp/500tq

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went thru the same issue a couple weeks ago with same results, ended up busting the case open. I didn't heat mine much as I figured it would weaken the case even if I got it apart.

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try a 50 50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid and let it soak.

4. Likes Bullet 20cc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleCharger View Post
    Went thru the same issue a couple weeks ago with same results, ended up busting the case open. I didn't heat mine much as I figured it would weaken the case even if I got it apart.
    I was thinking that too...how much more heat can this thing take before it snaps like peanut brittle. I remember we were just talking about past gearcase misfortunes and then this happens right after that...lol!
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower...it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

02 Dodge Cummins 2500 reg cab 4x4, converted long to short bed, up a foot, twins, injectors, fully built auto, dyno'd 582hp/1015tq

99 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe, 8.0L V-10, lowered 1", Corsa pipes/no cats, 450hp/500tq

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vnemous View Post
    Try a 50 50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid and let it soak.
    Thanks vnemous for the suggestion...I will do that on the next one for sure right from the start. But don't have the patience for another week of soaking on this one.

Sweet Cobra btw...I have it's baby brother that was designed and built to resemble the Cobra...also designed by Shelby. It's a hell of a handfull to drive fast too...just like the Cobra!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170209_175104.jpg  

7. Likes wtsjr66 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one that the rear "ring" of carrier was still froze after much work,i drilled and broke off rear ring thus reducing friction and drilled/tapped" front" of carrier using threaded rod and old omc flywheel puller plate.good luck .the big salty strikes again !-th

9. Likes Bullet 20cc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mn808gade View Post
    I had one that the rear "ring" of carrier was still froze after much work,i drilled and broke off rear ring thus reducing friction and drilled/tapped" front" of carrier using threaded rod and old omc flywheel puller plate.good luck .the big salty strikes again !-th
    Thanks for that info...yes big salty is a biotch for sure! Someone else suggested by PM the destruction of the carrier instead of the case as well. They advised to destroy the rear of it exactly like you said to do and then pound the prop shaft side to side and top to bottom with a softer faced deadblow type hammer until the front of the carrier wiggles...then pull it out with puller. That suggestion is definitely on the table as of now. Put another heat cycle on it this morning and I thought I could hear it laughing at me...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used this method on a stuck OMC carrier a few times. Put the oil plugs back in, except for the fill plug. Put your air gun rubber tip to the fill hole and pressurize the case. Only took about 20psi to blow the OMC carrier out. Put a rag around the back OD of the case as it will blow any oil out and make a big mess (ask me how I know). Good luck.
    Keith-

12. Likes Bullet 20cc, MattGreen liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STV_Keith View Post
    Used this method on a stuck OMC carrier a few times. Put the oil plugs back in, except for the fill plug. Put your air gun rubber tip to the fill hole and pressurize the case. Only took about 20psi to blow the OMC carrier out. Put a rag around the back OD of the case as it will blow any oil out and make a big mess (ask me how I know). Good luck.
    Haha...I bet it was a mess! Thanks for that info...I haven't tried air pressure in the case yet but I will give it a shot before I start destroying stuff. This one seems like it might take more than 20 psi to move...but we'll find out!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    always wanted to see how much pressure the seals would take to fail,let us know-th

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 20cc View Post
    Haha...I bet it was a mess! Thanks for that info...I haven't tried air pressure in the case yet but I will give it a shot before I start destroying stuff. This one seems like it might take more than 20 psi to move...but we'll find out!
    It's the little bit at the bottom that sprays out in a fine(r) mist of that nasty gear oil that's the issue. The case we "blew apart" had been sitting for 2 days with the plugs out, so it was as drained as we could get it. There is a good bit of surface area to the carrier, so it gets a lot of force from the air pressure.
    Keith-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather spend a day cleaning up a mess rather than 2 weeks messing with this thing. Talk about a total waste of time... I'll stuff it full of rags and give the pressure and we'll see how she goes...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mn808gade View Post
    always wanted to see how much pressure the seals would take to fail,let us know-th
    Lol...well you're gonna find out. Of course my seals may be how I got here in the first place...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rig up a slide hammer to pull it off, a puller v a slide hammer is no contest, a slide hammer will shock it open and get past the corrosion where a puller wont.

even rig the slide up and use impact gun, air hammer to keep bashing it fast.

would bother using the heat as that will just cause the corrosion to take hold even more, got to be worth a shot.

19. Likes Bullet 20cc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    rig up a slide hammer to pull it off, a puller v a slide hammer is no contest, a slide hammer will shock it open and get past the corrosion where a puller wont.

even rig the slide up and use impact gun, air hammer to keep bashing it fast.

would bother using the heat as that will just cause the corrosion to take hold even more, got to be worth a shot.
    Thanks philnjack...will take some rigging to make that but worth it not to have to start destroying stuff. Like you said it's definitely worth a shot.

Gonna give the air pressure a go while it's torqued up on the puller and then plan B the homemade slide hammer directly on the carrier. If I ever get this SOB off you guys will be the first to hear about it...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast