Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that story and even after all these years I never tire of hearing it. I`m certainly glad your Dad did that. Has your Dad ever told you about me sinking a Laser copy in Mississippi with The Bull? I inadvertently made him proud that day. I had um all covered so I was assing around letting them have the inside then going by down the shoots. When you drive like that you loose concentration and make mistakes. I did in turn one after about 4 laps. A boat had hooked and I didn`t see the big roller he left. When I was committed in the turn I hit the roller and it turned me into the copy. My bow took out his whole starboard side and some of the transom. The Bull suffered only a basketball size hole under the rub rail near the bow. I went flying over the deck and into the water like superman. When I came up I saw the nose of the nose of the copy going under and the ole Bull floating right side up. After checking on the driver and he was ok I swam to my boat and climbed in. When I got to the bank Your Dad was among many people at my trailer. He patted me on my back and said it wouldn`t cost me a dime for repairs. He was proud that the boat he built held up so well and the copy didn`t. Good times.

DB
    Last edited by Da Bull; 11-30-2017 at 07:23 PM.

2. Likes 89LASER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He built the best race boats out there, period, not a question about it. I don't give a damn what anyone has to say. If they hadn't molested the rules of the class the 380 would have never been touched, then the LTV did the same thing. The build quality of them while my old man was building them was just the best. Over built, but still fast and light enough to be better than everyone else. I wish I could get him to build them again with modern materials and techniques, can you imagine!!

4. Likes 89LASER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedOne View Post
    Had to fix this, nice ride
    Hey thanks! Couldn’t figure it out lol
    Laser 380 Ray - sold
    Allison SS2000 comp x 15" 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And great stories guys love hearing that stuff! A lot of history behind this stuff that no one knows about.
    Laser 380 Ray - sold

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok then I have another one involving Mr Tackel. David took great pride in Laser Boats and when yet another builder copied the 380 it pissed him off. In one of our races here in Shreveport David walked by the copy and the owner was standing by the boat when David pounded on the deck with his fist and loudly stated " Man these Lasers sure make good race boats". It was funny as hell.

DB

8. Likes 89LASER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull View Post
    Ok then I have another one involving Mr Tackel. David took great pride in Laser Boats and when yet another builder copied the 380 it pissed him off. In one of our races here in Shreveport David walked by the copy and the owner was standing by the boat when David pounded on the deck with his fist and loudly stated " Man these Lasers sure make good race boats". It was funny as hell.

DB
    Sounds about right! He's never had much time, or respect for people that just buy a mold or pop a mold off something else and sell it. I feel the same way. Be original, think of something new or find something else to do with your time. Anyone can throw some glass, resin and wood in a mold, but who can do it best? Who can design, and refine a hull that stands the test of time, that's what is cool, and that's what they did at Laser.

10. Likes wing nut, 89LASER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyja, again, sorry to keep derailing your post but I figured you might like a few of these pics. These are a couple of my favorites.

The two in this post are leaving the dock headed to turn one. This is the first official Mod VP race Laser ever entered, everyone said the Laser would out handle the 'streams, but the 'streams would kill it in the drag race to the first turn (it was a HUGE course)... they never stood a chance.

The late Joe Burgess was driving for Laser at that time, it wasn't even fair, he lapped the field atleast once. The events of that weekend are on youtube if you search my name, or MOD VP Palestine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe Palestine 2.jpg   Joe Palestine.jpg  

12. Likes kyja95, 89LASER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictured below, on the port side of the blue boat (in the short shorts) is Mr. Summerford himself.

Second picture I'm not sure who that is, maybe Bobby will know. It is a great looking boat though! That was either St. Louis or Palestine

Third picture is Chris Bush driving one of the first 2 LTVs built down in the Bahamas. Gary Tuttle drove the first one built that same weekend at that race and blew it over and destroyed it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0091.jpg   scan0097.jpg   scan0047-2.jpg  

14. Likes kyja95, 89LASER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Yeah that’s awesome. Thanks for sharing! My dad has a vking so that’s kind of funny
    Laser 380 Ray - sold

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Burns View Post
    Pictured below, on the port side of the blue boat (in the short shorts) is Mr. Summerford himself.

Second picture I'm not sure who that is, maybe Bobby will know. It is a great looking boat though! That was either St. Louis or Palestine

Third picture is Chris Bush driving one of the first 2 LTVs built down in the Bahamas. Gary Tuttle drove the first one built that same weekend at that race and blew it over and destroyed it.

First pic your right about Roark but who`s blue boat behind him? Why it`s Louis Collins 380. They were ready for action. I don`t know who`s in the second pic but the boat looks like an LTV.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked Dad who's the blue one was, he didn't remember. I like that baby blue!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Mirage was in Krum, Tx that Blue boat was sitting in the corner. It was a comp boat that Louis had turned into a ski boat to sell. I kinda liked the color to.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull View Post
    When Mirage was in Krum, Tx that Blue boat was sitting in the corner. It was a comp boat that Louis had turned into a ski boat to sell. I kinda liked the color to.

DB
    I never knew Mirage was in Krum at any time, that's crazy! That is just a few miles from where Laser was. Dad told me that the Collins boys tried to get him to come over there and be a part of their deal when he left Laser, makes sense now knowing that they were just up the road a bit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there several times but no way I could drive there now. I would get lost. It looked more like a long barn rather than a race boat manufacturing plant. I don`t know how long they stayed there before moving to Kaufman.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 89LASER View Post
    My pictures of my 21' Laser was in the catalog in 1988-89. The one with the Evinrude 200XP was me. I'd love to find one of those catalogs since my ex threw out all of my personal belongings.
    My first pad bottom v was a 1988 21ft 420 Laser. It too was a factory brochure boat.
    Mine came with a Johnson 200 GT. I played around with the set up but with the need for speed eventually refitted with a V8.
    Ive had several boats over the years but that Laser was a definite favorite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180110_151145_kindlephoto-9062917.jpg   IMG_20180110_151318.jpg   IMG_20180110_151353.jpg  
    Last edited by davidmercury; 01-11-2018 at 07:17 AM.

22. Likes 89LASER liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast