Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1994 Evinrude 200 - Just started surging under load

1994 Evinrude 200 E200CXER on 21' Paramount-copy center console. I installed this engine about a month ago. It ran fine when I water tested for 15 minutes on previous owners boat. I have taken it to the lake twice on my boat and engine ran fine for about 15 - 20 minutes each trip. Will run over 6000 rpm when fully trimmed but I have not stretched it out past that. 15 to 20 psi water pressure.

Today it ran fine for first 10 minutes. Then it started surging - if I was running 5500 RPM it would drop to about 5000 for a second, then back up. From a dead stop it would accelerate fine for a few seconds - then fall off - then continue to accelerate but only get up to ~5500. Then surge faster and slower. This behavior continued for 5 -10 minutes at almost any speed until I put on the trailer.

Before I ran it for the first time on my boat, I replaced spin-on water separating fuel filter, fuel line from tank to engine & primer bulb. It has VRO system. The VRO warning buzzer sounded when I first connected the oil tank, but has not sounded since the oil line was primed before first water test. My old `98 225 did not have VRO, so there is 50:1 oil in the fuel tank. I have read somewhere that this is recommended when troubleshooting VRO system to prevent burning up the engine.

Good compression on all cylinders - about 110 psi.

Previous owner had this done in July:epoxy 1 loose magnet back on flywheel, replace timer base, replace stator, replace power pack, replace plug wires.

I have read several posts on several forums and replies seem evenly split between fuel and electrical. Maybe my particular symptoms will jog someones memory.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try pushing the choke or pumping the primer bulb to see if it was fuel. Not a fan of silly VRO but biggest problem with VRO is pulse line from pump to block leak.
    Last edited by perfmarine1; 10-03-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perfmarine1 View Post
    Did you try pushing the choke or pumping the primer bulb to see if it was fuel. Not a fan of silly VRO but biggest problem with VRO is pulse line from pump to block leak.
    Thanks - I need to go back to the lake with a helper & try this. Someone else suggested hooking a timing light to each plug cable to see if spark is dropping out.