Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LMBRC 1960s/70s Update - Terry Knowles - RIP

Hello

I am Steven Knowles, Terry Knowles' son.

I don't know how many of his vintage are still around (I can see that Jackie Wilson is still posting ;-))

Unfortunately I have to report that Terry passed away late on Friday evening after a 7-year battle with prostate cancer.

Terry raced at LMBRC at Iver from the late 1950s to the very early 1970s, starting on hydros and then on to much faster bits of plywood. He invented the reverse-picklefork configuration "The Claw" - which never caught on for some reason (mainly no steering I am led to believe....)

He gave up in 1971 after a spectacular crash whilst my mother was pregnant with my twin sisters (now 46!), and I believe that 2 of his engines still reside at the bottom of what is left of the lake.

My aunt Joan Baird (d. 1998) was also a racer in the 1960s, and was married to Jimmy Baird (d. 1971-ish) and then later to Derek Coom (d. 1994) who was crew on the rescue boat in the late 70s/early 80s.

My godfather David Minty also died relatively recently (2013) so I really don't know how many more are left from those days.

I remember the LMBRC with a smile - particularly the Boat Club Christmas party (Johnny Hulme as Father Christmas!) in the early 1970s.

If I can dig out any LMBRC photos from those times I will scan them and post them here.

Anyway, I am going on a bit, but thanks for reading this far!

Steve
    Last edited by Steven Knowles - LMBRC; 02-01-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Correct dates

2. Thanks powerabout, Mark75H, Bob V thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H, CNC_Guy, Bob V liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Knowles - LMBRC View Post
    Hello

I am Steven Knowles, Terry Knowles' son.

I don't know how many of his vintage are still around (I can see that Jackie Wilson is still posting ;-))

Unfortunately I have to report that Terry passed away late on Friday evening after a 7-year battle with prostate cancer.

Terry raced at LMBRC at Iver in the mid to late 1960s and very early 1970s, starting on hydros and then on to much faster bits of plywood. He invented the reverse-picklefork configuration "The Claw" - which never caught on for some reason (mainly no steering I am led to believe....)

He gave up in 1971 after a spectacular crash whilst my mother was pregnant with my twin sisters (now 46!), and I believe that 2 of his engines still reside at the bottom of what is left of the lake.

My aunt Joan Baird (d. 1998) was also a racer in the 1960s, and was married to Jimmy Baird (d. 1971-ish) and then later to Derek Coom (d. 1994) who was crew on the rescue boat in the late 70s/early 80s.

My godfather David Minty also died relatively recently (2013) so I really don't know how many more are left from those days.

I remember the LMBRC with a smile - particularly the Boat Club Christmas party (Johnny Hulme as Father Christmas!) in the early 1970s.

If I can dig out any LMBRC photos from those times I will scan them and post them here.

Anyway, I am going on a bit, but thanks for reading this far!

Steve
    Really sorry to hear the sad news of Terry's demise--------with "Minters" gone, that just leaves one of the Three Cabaleros, Dougie Bruce-------he was the one who mainly paid for the exploits of the trio---- I once tried the "Claw" ------with the Konig, it was super quick in a straight line------end of story-----it handled like a rodeo bull, told them it would hurt somebody before long, but nobody listened !
    Of course I knew each and every one of the people you mentioned---------trouble is----there all dead and buried-----------just wish you hadn't mentioned me Steve ?
    Theres a good saga to be told of Terry's sister Joan Baird-------she raced with Bob May in "ORINGEORROR" and MAIS OUE but it's forty winks time and I'm cream crackered.

4. Thanks Steven Knowles - LMBRC thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jackie

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I have dug out a couple of old pictures, but Mum assures me that there are many more awaiting! I hope that there are some of Joan there and maybe some others too.

Here are a couple from approx. 1957/58 with Terry crewing for Ernie Absalom (No.23) and possibly David Minty (guessing by the beard only! - don't know if he had one in the late 1950s!)

http://www.screamandfly.com/gallery/...hp?photo=18933

http://www.screamandfly.com/gallery/...hp?photo=18934

I'd love to hear the saga about (Aunty) Joan when you get the chance

Thanks

Steve
    Last edited by Steven Knowles - LMBRC; 01-30-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Knowles - LMBRC View Post
    Hi Jackie

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I have dug out a couple of old pictures, but Mum assures me that there are many more awaiting! I hope that there are some of Joan there and maybe some others too.

Here are a couple from approx. 1957/58 with Terry crewing for Ernie Absalom (No.23) and possibly David Minty (guessing by the beard only! - don't know if he had one in the late 1950s!)

http://www.screamandfly.com/gallery/...hp?photo=18933

http://www.screamandfly.com/gallery/...hp?photo=18934

I'd love to hear the saga about (Aunty) Joan when you get the chance

Thanks

Steve
    Terry, that is possibly the only picture in existence of my younger brother NIPPER—— he bought the blue fin from Jock Geddes called LOOKY LOU.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can do a higher resolution scan if you would like

Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Terry, that is possibly the only picture in existence of my younger brother NIPPER—— he bought the blue fin from Jock Geddes called LOOKY LOU.
    I can do a higher-resolution scan of it if you would like - the original pic is not the best quality but is approx A3 in size although I cropped it to get the boat in more detail.

I hope to get some more pics soon to scan so there may be some related ones.

Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be great if you could post as many piccies as is possible from the London club days Steve, I knew every single perso that ever raced there———- you must have some pictures of Terrys sister Joan and Bob May. Priceless !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jackie

Hope you are keeping well!

Apologies for the delay but I have just uploaded some pictures to https://www.screamandfly.com/album.php?albumid=2907.

There may even be one or 2 related to you by the look of it!

Any additional context/names you can give to the pictures will be gratefully received.

If you want high-resolution copies of any of them then do please let me know and I can send them to you.

One other thing that you might be able to corroborate from the LMBRC days - Dad told me a story about someone's grandmother unfortunately dying whilst on a racing trip to France (Paris 6-hour?). Apparently said Granny was stowed on the caravan roof for the trip back. The caravan was stolen and recovered, but no sign of Granny. Do you recall that trip/story?

Steve
    Last edited by Steven Knowles - LMBRC; 07-19-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now that story, takes the cake. wow.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    now that story, takes the cake. wow.
    Oh, it doesn’t end there Fuji—— apparently it was in the south of France, Cannes to be exact—- Granny was a bit ripe after two days in the back of camper, so they bought a carpet and rolled her up in it and put her on the roof rack !!!
    no way were they going to bury in Frog country!
    Thats when somebody stole the whole outfit, Camper—- Boat and trailer—- and a whiffs Granny rolled up in a carpet on the roof rack!

12. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H, Greg G liked this post
    Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    National Lampoons Vaction come to life

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    National Lampoons Vaction come to life
    Most tales start with “once upon a time”——- boating stories always start with —- “You ain’t never going to believe this”.

15. Likes Greg G, Mark75H liked this post
    Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Most tales start with “once upon a time”——- RACE boating stories always start with —- “You ain’t never going to believe this”.
    Fixed it for you