Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SportMaster Speedi-Sleeves

Mercury SportMaster Gear Case, Worn driveshaft repair

Thought I would share this.

My SportMaster gear case was taking on a lot of water. When I removed the water pump base from the lower unit, the seals stayed on the shaft. This definitely explains how the water got in oil. As seems typical for these lower units, the drive shaft was corroded and pitted right where the seals go. I decided to repair the shaft using Speedi-Sleeves. A big advantage of this approach is that it was easy to do. Other than machining a brass tube, no special tools were required. Here are a few thoughts:

1) I found that the Speedi-Sleeves (99087) were a little hard to track down in Canada. Also the price varied quite a bit between suppliers. The lowest price I was quoted was about $28 Canadian each. Two of them were required (one for each seal).

2) It turned out that it was much cheaper to buy a new water pump base instead of just replacing the seals. The pump base came with both seals installed and included the oring and pump gaskets for about $40 Canadian.

3) I cleaned up the drive shaft with some wet sand paper. Care was taken to avoid getting grit into the bearings.

4) To minimise creasing the sleeves, it helped to file the sharp edges off the end of the drive shaft splines. Note that the sleeves still creased a bit. Time will tell if this matters.

5) To ensure a good seal between the sleeves and driveshaft, I applied a small amount of marine epoxy to the pitted area just before positioning each sleeve. The sleeves and driveshaft were cleaned with alcohol before installation. Be aware that some epoxies are not meant for continuous water contact and would a poor choice.

6) It was necessary to make a tool to install the sleeves over the long driveshaft. I had a machinist lathe a short brass tube for me. This slid onto the driveshaft after the Speedi-Sleeve tool. A box-end wrench went over the driveshaft after the brass tube to give something to hit with a hammer. Gentle taps with a hammer were used to avoid damage to the bearing and housing.

7) The Speedi-Sleeves have a flange that is needed during installation. The flange can remain on the lower sleeve. However, this flange must be removed from the upper sleeve. It is necessary to cut a slot into the flange in order to remove it. Very important: this is much easier to do before installing the sleeve. The sleeves are made from an incredibly tough material: I found that an abrasive cutter (Dremel Tool) works well for this. If you screw up and install the upper sleeve before cutting the slot (like I did), you can make the slot with a very small abrasive in a Dremel Tool. However, this requires a magnifying light and a great deal of patience to avoid damaging the sleeves or driveshaft.

8) The hardest part of the installation was determining the location of the sleeves. The sleeves are short and their positions are critical. The driveshaft had multiple grooves in it and the seal locations were not obvious. In hindsight, I recommend cutting a big groove out of an old water pump base. This would enable easily visualisation of the proper location of the seals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 bad driveshaft seals.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	385520

Name:	2 worn driveshaft.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	385519

Name:	3 installing sleeve.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	385521

Name:	4 with speedi sleeves.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	385522

2. Likes phillnjack, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great first post fellow Winnipegger
    Allison XB02, 22ft Tritoon 225 4 stroke, two seadoo sparks

Past rides 2001 STV EURO, Allison Grandsport, STV RiverRocket, STV Euro, STV ProComp, Hydrostream V-King
    RIP RPM RACING
    RIP GTS1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah good job man, welcome to Scream and Fly !

Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tried speedi sleeve burned up seals real quick ,got shafts redone