Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Non performance boat performance questions...

So I have my 19' seaswirl up and running. 1989 150 Evinrude xp on the back. Took the carbs off it and made sure they were clean, not a spec of dirt in them. Changed pickup, supply hose and sending unit. Took it out the first time the other night for a test run. 3 adults and 3 small kids, 10 gal of fuel 17 pitch aluminum prop. Ran no prob right up to 5500 rpm and 40+ mph. Swapped to a 19 pitch prop and took it out the next day, seemed ok for a bit, then couldn't get it above 4k rpm. Swapped it out at the sandbar for the 17, had what felt like power loss on the way back. Got home and realized inline fuel filters were clogged with what looked sand type gunk from the tank. Cleaned/replaced them and ran it with the 19 back on it. Still won't go over 4k rpm, can 2 inch of pitch cause that much rpm loss? I thought it was about 200rpm per inch of pitch. the tank has crap in it so the filters are clogged again but I'll figure that out. Unfortunately the 17 pitch prop got chewed up on a shoal. So until I get another the.19 is what I have. Soon I hope to swap to my 3.0 Johnson but for now I wanted this one to run.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla0178 View Post
    So I have my 19' seaswirl up and running. 1989 150 Evinrude xp on the back. Took the carbs off it and made sure they were clean, not a spec of dirt in them. Changed pickup, supply hose and sending unit. Took it out the first time the other night for a test run. 3 adults and 3 small kids, 10 gal of fuel 17 pitch aluminum prop. Ran no prob right up to 5500 rpm and 40+ mph. Swapped to a 19 pitch prop and took it out the next day, seemed ok for a bit, then couldn't get it above 4k rpm. Swapped it out at the sandbar for the 17, had what felt like power loss on the way back. Got home and realized inline fuel filters were clogged with what looked sand type gunk from the tank. Cleaned/replaced them and ran it with the 19 back on it. Still won't go over 4k rpm, can 2 inch of pitch cause that much rpm loss? I thought it was about 200rpm per inch of pitch. the tank has crap in it so the filters are clogged again but I'll figure that out. Unfortunately the 17 pitch prop got chewed up on a shoal. So until I get another the.19 is what I have. Soon I hope to swap to my 3.0 Johnson but for now I wanted this one to run.
    Sounds like you burnt a piston. Do a compression test. Clogged the filter and leaned it out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    compression test it is. I was afraid of that. I forgot to mention that when the filters clogged the second time it was enough to set off the alarm. If I tries to go above about 3k the alarm would sound. Check the primer ball and its soft, pump it up alarm goes off. Tried to run while pumping the ball but the filters wouldn't let enough fuel through to keep up and the ball kept going soft. Any thoughts?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    let me guess, prob #1 piston?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok, maybe some more help. I did a comp test and all were at 100 psi on all six. none of the spark plugs looked bad and nothing out of the ordinary found. I forgot to mention that both props were 20+ years old so maybe spun hub too. I still need to clean the tank or replace it.