User Tag List

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pics by Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3351.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	393.8 KB 
ID:	378536

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a 2.5 mid with a 3.0 case? Sounds like a winning combo, Will you be testing in sarasota on friday and saturday?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this also the coming out/test of the Porta 3L to 2.5 mid adapter?
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Unfortunately with all the work that has been done to get the boat ready to run, Scotts adapter program has taken a back seat, however he finally got the Exhaust plates completed and ready to go, so testing will resume shortly, we set one up a few months ago but it was too efficient and the engine ran too cool, robbing some power. A redesign and water passage changes should let it carry more heat and get the powerhead back in the proper temperature range !! We are going to set these up on Scotts raceboat and do some testing soon !!

5. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the assist Noli !!

7. Likes noli liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately with all the work that has been done to get the boat ready to run, Scotts adapter program has taken a back seat, however he finally got the Exhaust plates completed and ready to go, so testing will resume shortly, we set one up a few months ago but it was too efficient and the engine ran too cool, robbing some power. A redesign and water passage changes should let it carry more heat and get the powerhead back in the proper temperature range !! We are going to set these up on Scotts raceboat and do some testing soon !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    T-stats and diverter control the temp. and water flow rate being dropped. It was the tuner that Scott is making additional changes to. Sounds like these guys will be testing in the next few days with shortened 3L clamp assembles from Charlie and exhaust cans from Todd. There are a lot of trick one off hand made pieces being put into this project that make it stand apart from anything else. No question that they are throwing everything possible at this boat. You have to admire the effort, expense and dedication of their innovations.

Joe

10. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No better way to do R&D than the real world.
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please educate me...and I know this project is in the back burner now...

are you saying that the 300XS 3.2L powerhead can be placed on a 2.5 mid via an adapter plate that's currently being developed?

or did I totally miss the boat here...where 3L is like the 300X powerhead?

13. Likes whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noli View Post

Please educate me...and I know this project is in the back burner now...

are you saying that the 300XS 3.2L powerhead can be placed on a 2.5 mid via an adapter plate that's currently being developed?

or did I totally miss the boat here...where 3L is like the 300X powerhead?

Noli,

Scott has been working on this for the last couple years. He even took night classes to learn the cad program from the base roots of this thing so that it would be presented properly for all of the future machinist involved. The start of this was when the racers in stock outboard voted to accept the 300XS as a legal power option. Scott wanted to make an adapter plate so that guys could retain their stock 280 clamp assy., midsection, and steering (trying to make it as economical as possible for the conversion). It has now evolved to Scott actually purchasing the 280 offshore midsection molds and he has them set up to accept 2.5 or 3L gear cases. He will be offering full conversion kits including 300 promax pan/cowl, cowl top pin kits, exhaust plates with tuner, midsection exhaust housings (which merc. no longer offers), hardware for installation etc. Scott looks at things from a different angle then most of us-he is really part engineer, part genius, and part racer. I have no idea what these kits will cost but they are not to far away from being a reality and the time and money that he has put into bringing this to life is a bunch. You will be able to adapt any Merc. 3L to this plate but it has been designed 100% around the 300XS. He has a couple of them that were CNC milled but will be producing them in cast. He won't offer them for sale until they are 100% perfect in production form-that is how he rolls.

Joe

15. Likes NICE PAIR, noli, AZMIDLYF, Hot Shot Merc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that is a major undertaking

Thanks for the clarification and looking forward to hearing more about this project

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Joe. This is going to be interesting! Will the 300SX steering components work with this set-up, i.e., wingplates and rams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been waiting to hear about this project. Think it was Colabella that I first heard it from a year or so ago. Very cool idea, especially for us little boat guys that want the short mids but go fuel efficient with the 300xs.

Can't wait to see this boat next week in Sarasota!

Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Noli,

Scott has been working on this for the last couple years. He even took night classes to learn the cad program from the base roots of this thing so that it would be presented properly for all of the future machinist involved. The start of this was when the racers in stock outboard voted to accept the 300XS as a legal power option. Scott wanted to make an adapter plate so that guys could retain their stock 280 clamp assy., midsection, and steering (trying to make it as economical as possible for the conversion). It has now evolved to Scott actually purchasing the 280 offshore midsection molds and he has them set up to accept 2.5 or 3L gear cases. He will be offering full conversion kits including 300 promax pan/cowl, cowl top pin kits, exhaust plates with tuner, midsection exhaust housings (which merc. no longer offers), hardware for installation etc. Scott looks at things from a different angle then most of us-he is really part engineer, part genius, and part racer. I have no idea what these kits will cost but they are not to far away from being a reality and the time and money that he has put into bringing this to life is a bunch. You will be able to adapt any Merc. 3L to this plate but it has been designed 100% around the 300XS. He has a couple of them that were CNC milled but will be producing them in cast. He won't offer them for sale until they are 100% perfect in production form-that is how he rolls.

Joe
    2006 Spectre 24' SCS
    2020 Mercury 300 ProXS

2001 Allison XB2003
    2006 Mercury 250XS

1988 22' Velocity (sold)

1995 Allison Grand Sport (sold)
    1998 Mercury Stock 2.5-260 SS

1990 Velocity 30' - 502's (sold)

Go Daddy Go! Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeCapnDave View Post
    ... Gary's boat is running strong with Scotts Gen 1 bottom ...

I'd like to share a different point of view from what I've heard and been told. I've heard and been told that each iteration of the DW 32 Race is different from the previous one. IF the racer request the hull to have a specific characteristic and its within DW's bounds of safety and performance, DW shall build the race hull that way. Otherwise, DW shall put his special "juice" into the hull that he thinks would make it perform better. Now that doesn't mean the boat will actually run better, it all depends on how good the driver is, and luck, etc. The hull shall perform better if it's in the appropriate hands.

Now with reference to Gary's race boat, only Gary and DW know what went into his race hull and no-one else. So we really can't say Gary's is Gen1 because it's not. Each build is different. Different in what DW will change and/or what the racer/owner requests the hull to have built into it.

just my .02c

P.S. the changes that I've seen over the years are...
    * tapering of the two rear outer quarters
    * flatter hull-bottom at the rear sponsons
    * shark's tooth
    * wider tunnel
    * tunnel height
    * less rear deck bump
    * removal of outboard well in the rear
    * roundness of canopy

there are plenty more which I am not privy to know

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Noli,

You are 100% correct. Scotts first hull mods are on his boat only. Gary doesn't have what he refers to as (the rocket rails). Dave is referring to the strake modifications and recent running surface extension on Garys race. Gary and Doug have worked together on numerous changes and improvements over the years (Gary has been very observant racing X-Cat and those guys are always changing things up over there so he gets to see what works first hand). Nick's new hull has everything that Scott has wanted to do for the last 5 years but knew that it wouldn't make sense to apply all of it to his 2005 due to the existing weight. He would have had to really cut the boat down and it would have been a ton of work. Now he did come close to converting his brand new 32DW pleasure boat at a couple of points and this boat of Nick's is what it was slated to look like. The earlier mention that the deck extension was added as a tribute to "Doug's love of Porsche" is not the case either. It was added to help control the air release from the tunnel at a slower rate more controlled rate and add to the overall compression and lift. I wanted Rick to put it on the DW28 deck but it would have been a water scoop to fill the cockpit anytime you were in reverse. Doug doesn't add weight to anything without purpose.

Joe

21. Likes noli liked this post
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast