Customer failed by Jay Smith at JSRE
I contacted Jay Smith by telephone several times to discuss a complete re-build of a Mercury 200 EFI Powerhead. We discussed everything from balancing the crankshaft to the connecting rods in detail. I explained to Jay that I had a Mercury mechanic remove and replace the powerhead from my boat motor with a new re-built Quicksilver powered. I sent him the below picture to make sure he saw the powerhead and that it qualified for his rebuild. The below e-mail was sent to him to list exactly what was to be done. I requested he reply in writing to confirm what I thought he said he was going to do and you can see he replied and corrected what he was doing with the pistons.
I paid for shipping there and to return the powerhead. When Jay received the power head he called me to tell me, and I quote “I can’t do anything with this motor because it is not complete” He told me I sent him a long block not a powerhead. Anyone can go online and look for Mercury Powerheads and see and buy what Jay calls a long block listed as powerheads on every listing. Yet Jay claims I do not know what I am doing, to the point that he refused to accept the job. He claimed all other Mercury mechanics are “Yahoos” and he does not trust them with his superior work. Jay cost me hundreds of lost dollars in shipping cost for no reason.
So, if you want to do business with Jay Smith,

“ It is Jay’s way or the highway”
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/czvosec/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]

Above is the picture I sent to Jay top confirm he can work on my Power Head. He never replied accept to tell me where to ship to. AS is easy to see there are no accessories like ignition, starter etc. in the picture.

Jay Smith <hitman6563@yahoo.com>
Revised address for Jordan Marine 22250 I 10
Vidor , Texas
Top pin Pistons is to Edmonton out existing side pins replacing with top pin welded ones
Sent from my iPhone
On May 12, 2017, at 8:11 AM, Chuck Zvosec
Hello Jay,
You and I talked this Tuesday morning about my powerhead that has one scored cylinder. I want to rebuild the powerhead to top quality condition. Please receive it in and tear it down enough to make an inspection so we can discuss options. I am interested in increasing the HP and maximum RPM up to 6,000 if possible. I also want to increase the dependability so it does not fail so easily in future.
If the model I have does not qualify to achieve everything on my list, we can discuss what can be done so that it is a dependable backup to the one I have now.
You listed the following service and prices during our call.
1. Labor to tear down and re-assemble complete $1,250.00
2. New bearings high performance version $450.00
3. Gasket set $250.00
4. New Special Pistons $665.00
5. Tap Pins ? $300.00
6. Clean all injectors $450.00
7. Special Reeds $140.00

You said I should ship the powerhead well packaged to JSRE Jordan Marine 2250 Interstate 10, Vidor Texas 77662.

Please reply to this e-mail and confirm the information I list. Then we can talk some more and decide what to do next. I attach a picture of my boat and the powerhead section so you can see what I am working on. I am running a Mercury factory rebuilt Quick Silver Powerhead that runs good but nothing like the 200 XRI that came with the boat. I blew it up at 6,000 RPM with pistons and rods coming apart.

Chuck Zvosec