Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Top left under articles is {new posts}. All the most recent posts is were I like to go when just browsing looking for interesting topice. Also if your looking for more specific go to Descution forum above that. that has all the main areas of interest and just go to were your looking. Sales stuff is near the bottom of that page. Once youve done it a few times its easy to navigate. A lot of the other pages is fluff to me but some really dig it.

There is lots of Hydrostream info on hear LOTS!!! Use the search also top right. Just put Hydrostream and there will be tons of reading. haha The fastest hydrostream Viking guys on earth are on hear so you can get the best advise possible for sure. Ronnie is a wealth of knowledge and alot of other guys. Enjoy and welcome. You might also want to get at least a Team Membership when your comfortable with that. Its what helps keep this massive site running. Im guilty of not having one from time to time but i feel guilty with all the knowledge on hear and not contributing some thing. .

4. Thanks Timothy Hoffman thanked for this post
    Likes W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ,thanks for some positive direction on the site
    Last edited by Timothy Hoffman; 03-21-2017 at 06:16 AM.

6. Likes whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was checking out your pictures on your Profile. Sweet project!! You got a nice one it looks like. Some are way farther gone yours is ripe for a little tlc then as good as new hopefully, Add-Tech or some others might advise a few more products for fixing the bottom scuffs. Looks like he used some and never sanded it smooth in that one spot? haha Seats might come out with Magic eraser? Clear i have no idea. Taraler punks no sweet. Get a moisture meter and check the transom and builge for water or rot. The guys an hear no the normal spots to check. Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Best and most informative boating forum...IMHO

There is a wealth of people here with tons of knowledge and willing to help....Have Fun !!

What year is your V-King?

Whipper is 100% correct. The older the Hydrostream the more likely it has a weakening floor, core and transom. NOT always the case, but likely needs some reworking. I do see some stress cracks in your transom....

The core if never replaced is an end-grain balsa wood material, the transom is layered plywood, and the floor is plywood as well. Worth investigating the condition of all these areas before use...again, IMHO.

I am rebuilding one myself right now. Replacing all the wood, as it was all rotted out. Mine is a 79 V-King.

Here are a couple links to restore threads:

This one is a Vector redone really well. The Vector and V-king are built very similar and this owner did a knock out great job building his...It's almost ready to ride. http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...r-Resurrection

Here is a V-King that was restored and modified cosmetically, and also another knock out great job done by the owner & friends.
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...78-My-79-vking

Again, Welcome to S&F !!!!
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the great info,im lifting the motor now,seats gas tank ect all removed,should be cutting rivets to split hull,obvious bow in trans,just going to go ahead and do floor,core and trans,did the same last year to my hydrodyne 17.6,no core in that thanks again pics at the end of the day,should be well into floor by then

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey James,
    it a 87
    my original plan was to do the floor-core and transom.
    pulled the motor and everything out this morning, having lunch then im back at it
    theres foam under the floor have not seen the core yet,do i need to remove the foam boxes port and starboard all the way up both sides ?
    im going to seoerate the hull tonight or tomorrow, more pics at the end of the day

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've got about 90% of the floor up, I've opened up several test areas to check the core, I do have moisture, but I have not yet found any rot , The areas with moisture still have good structure in the balsa. i'm currently looking for threads that contain information about core removal, I'm going to slow things down a little bit because I don't want to cut through the bottom of my boat :-)I think I'm going to try and split the hull todayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	397.7 KB 
ID:	370162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1006.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	397.5 KB 
ID:	370163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1005.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	403.6 KB 
ID:	370164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1004.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	370165

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to tell from the pictures, but at first glance to me it "looks" like the core is coming apart?
    If it chips out easy, it's done. Core in good condition is tough to get up.

You will have to be careful splitting the deck from the hull. It's a time consuming process to get it apart with out damaging either the deck or hull. The rub rail is riveted from the bottom and rolled and crimped to the deck, with some glass that must have oozed into place when it was crimped on from the wet glass bonding the two hulls together at the time of assembly.... Some were able to reuse the rail, mine was beat up enough that I didn't even try. There are several choices for replacement rub rails.

The deck and hull are bonded together with glass and what looked like csm, AND it has about a 4-6" belt of csm bonding the inner seam to each other which runs the length of that rub rail seam on the inside.

"Most" guys threads that I have read (many) leave the deck on, and work around it, although doing that means replacing the transom from the front, (inside) and that will mean motor well removal. Some put it back, most do the "motor well delete" and build the rear deck flat over the old cut out motor well. Ti does look great if done right.

Some, cut the hull from the back side and work through the back to replace it.

I chose to keep the motor well, and separate the deck from the hull. It really opens up the boat for easier access...JMO.

My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James thanks once again, yeah those pictures are pretty poor, actually in the four places I cut a test patch through the glass into the core, only one was wet, and it had not yet started to rot, the boss I still had structure, I've managed to get the rub rail off, I also would like to keep my splash well, so what you're saying is they tabbed the top and bottom of the hull together,from the inside?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hoffman View Post
    James thanks once again, yeah those pictures are pretty poor, actually in the four places I cut a test patch through the glass into the core, only one was wet, and it had not yet started to rot, the boss I still had structure, I've managed to get the rub rail off, I also would like to keep my splash well, so what you're saying is they tabbed the top and bottom of the hull together,from the inside?
    Yes, from the inside. You will inevitably cut through it when you cut the seam between the deck and hull. I mentioned it because I believe it needs to be re-bonded just like it was when it was made. Another member here pointed this out to me, and I value his opinion. His boat runs triple digits.

Best done by hand because there isn't much room for error. I did mine with a saws all and went real slow with a high tooth count blade. A nice wide one to help keep you on a flat, straight cut.

Got to warn you too about the motor well where it is ( or should be ) attached to the transom, top side of the transom up under the deck, and front side of the transom against the back side of the motor well... or splash well... It's the best, strongest bond I found on the boat....It's not fun. This is part of the reason I want to keep it. I believe it is an integral part of the structure adding support and strength to the back of the boat as well as the transom ( IMHO ).

This is where some add knee braces attaching the two center stringers to the transom. I am doing this as well as tying the knee braces into the bottom of the motor well.

I used an oscillating saw to do most of my demolition work. The half moon blades made safe, short work of the core and tight corner cutting. Also a round grinding bit on an angle grinder is great for removing bulky areas of ANY unwanted glass, or bedding compound, etc.....

I've been meaning to start a thread here but there are so many of these threads.....

I do have a thread on the Hydrostreamforums.com need to up date it some, I have made some changes in my stringer support system since those pictures were added.

http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

HTH

Oh, yes I did remove the foam flotation boxes on mine. They were wet down along the bottom. And they are not going back in.
    Last edited by W2F a V-King; 03-21-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added link

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate all this information from you so much, I did see that the transom was tabbed to the wow, I really appreciate the heads up on the saws all , Yacht seems like I go to the Hydro stream form and there's nobody there? Thanks so much for all the great information, just received another contact person from the guy I bought the boat from his east coast I think Boatworks or some like that , He supposed to have a lot of good info also, I take everything you say to heart, I'm old enough to know what I know and what I don't know, thanks again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hoffman View Post
    seems like I go to the Hydro stream form and there's nobody there?
    Thats cause everyone has seemed to have jumped ship for the likes of Facebook now days.

A LOT, and I mean A LOT of members that were a huge part of the forum have stopped going on there and are busy posting all day every day to the hydrostream groups on Facebook. It sucks but what can ya do when somethis as big as FB makes it way to easy to just post something with one or two clicks and bam, done, instant gratification. Guess we just need a new group of people there to pick up where they left off. I hate to kill the place but sadly its heading in that direction sooner than later at this rate.

Anyways, great looking project ya got there. Cant wait to see the progress.
    -Kevin
    Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project CobraJet
    1977 Hydrostream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project.
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen
    1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
    199? Glastron - aka Boat Anchor
    1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippie459MN View Post
    Thats cause everyone has seemed to have jumped ship for the likes of Facebook now days.

A LOT, and I mean A LOT of members that were a huge part of the forum have stopped going on there and are busy posting all day every day to the hydrostream groups on Facebook. It sucks but what can ya do when somethis as big as FB makes it way to easy to just post something with one or two clicks and bam, done, instant gratification. Guess we just need a new group of people there to pick up where they left off. I hate to kill the place but sadly its heading in that direction sooner than later at this rate.

Anyways, great looking project ya got there. Cant wait to see the progress.

Could the FB page be set up so when you click on a picture or almost anything it hot links you right back to your website?
    That seems to be how S&F has their FB page set up. Clicking on just about anything brings you right back to this site.

https://www.facebook.com/screamandfly/?ref=py_c

18. Thanks Hippie459MN thanked for this post
    Likes Hippie459MN liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W2F a V-King View Post
    Could the FB page be set up so when you click on a picture or almost anything it hot links you right back to your website?
    That seems to be how S&F has their FB page set up. Clicking on just about anything brings you right back to this site.

https://www.facebook.com/screamandfly/?ref=py_c
    That is the fan page and not a group. I am going to shut down the HydrostreamForums FB group soon and just have the fan page like Gregg has for S&F. The intent for the group was not to take away from the web site but it has done just that so time for it to go I think. Also, he is just posting links back to he site. I'll get it figured out. I can see that once I stopped allowing things for sale in the group, it has pretty much dies already. Oh well... lol
    Last edited by Hippie459MN; 03-22-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    -Kevin
    Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project CobraJet
    1977 Hydrostream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project.
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen
    1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
    199? Glastron - aka Boat Anchor
    1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

20. Likes Timothy Hoffman liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast