Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Single Ram Trim

I have a single ram clamp off an early 80's bass 2.0. I have three questions:

Is this the same as the later hi-po 20" single rams?

I know this clamp can be upgraded to the "fat" tiller. Anybody know the part number I need for this?

Will this be better than the 3 ram that I have now?

I know that this setup is supposed to be a little heavier than the 3 ram but I am going to be swapping to a Mod VP cowl and ditching my hydraulic jack plate in favor of a manual at the same time. Should be a wash weight wise if not slightly lighter.

I already have a Bob's pump in the boat that is currently running the jack plate, so that part should be a slam dunk, just need to score new hoses at the hydraulic shop.
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no where close to tha same as hi perf....

what boat and how do ya use it?.. is current "3" ram got tha fat arm?.. if replacein' tha arm be sure ta check "shoulder" for size to fit to whatever clamp you have/use.. there are differences but can't recall which is which... its tha "saddle" that makes tha difference best i remember... but maybe not!... gotta lot a "burnt" brain cells now days........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    normal three ram is big enough for the big 3.0 motors which have a ton of torque and hold up very well im no fan of the pump in the boat or the one speed trim system tiller change is no big deal but very pricey new . im not sure what the difference is in the old single ram consumer mid versus hipo? ive have a couple 260 mids and a Bridgeport mid that been laying around here for ever they look the same as a 80 model i just tore up and scrapped must be hidden or my 260 clamps were old fishing motor clamps too How you feeling Tommy that leg get better

4. Thanks nitro_rat thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tiller arm difference is hipo fat rams have no shoulder on the bottom but consumer does so it raised up. i have several no shoulder hipo tillers

6. Thanks nitro_rat thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    leg kinda leveled off to being tolerable without many drugs.. still searchin' on what tha problem is!.. think i'll finda "voodoo which doctor"........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was going to try to do this in one post but my devices and intenet connection are not cooperating.

Quote Originally Posted by tlwjkw View Post
    no where close to tha same as hi perf....

what boat and how do ya use it?.. is current "3" ram got tha fat arm?.. if replacein' tha arm be sure ta check "shoulder" for size to fit to whatever clamp you have/use.. there are differences but can't recall which is which... its tha "saddle" that makes tha difference best i remember... but maybe not!... gotta lot a "burnt" brain cells now days........
    Hydrostream Varmint, '79 1750 on 3 ram clamp. River use, take the kids to the sand bar and some solo or passenger speed runs. I have 3 mids, one 3 ram on the boat, another 3 ram off an XR2, and the early 80's single ram bass clamp. No fat arms on any of my mids.
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    normal three ram is big enough for the big 3.0 motors which have a ton of torque and hold up very well im no fan of the pump in the boat or the one speed trim system tiller change is no big deal but very pricey new . im not sure what the difference is in the old single ram consumer mid versus hipo? ive have a couple 260 mids and a Bridgeport mid that been laying around here for ever they look the same as a 80 model i just tore up and scrapped must be hidden or my 260 clamps were old fishing motor clamps too How you feeling Tommy that leg get better
    Can anybody shed some light on what the actual differences are? One vote for "Not even close" and one for "they look the same." Maybe two votes for "they look the same," because they look the same to me too although I've never had the chance to study an actual hi-po clamp.
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya gotta do some measurin'... not only tha "shoulder" is different but tha "sadle" is different also.. sorry can't remember 'xactly what tha differences are.. with tha three ram you may be able ta jus use a later production wide body.. ya gotta measure tha saddles to be sure... they have gotta be tha same.

jus me but for regular boatin' stuff like ya describe, i like tha three ram junk... gets it all outta tha boat, weight, eliminates any "messes" that might happen..
    Last edited by tlwjkw; 03-14-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"Offshore" is the same as single ram "bass"

This is a pic from another user's thread http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...rim-ram-please about removing the ram from an offshore clamp. His ram has casting #79610A1 on it. So does my bass ram. The image doesn't show in the thread but I found it via a google search and linked to the fotoflexer account below.

Comparing other photos on screamandfly to my clamp, there is no difference other than the "fat" steering arm.

If anyone knows of any other differences, I would like to know!
    Josh Peterson

12. Thanks David - WI thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    i have several no shoulder hipo tillers
    PM sent
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tha cyl. may be tha same but ya might wanna check tha saddles for length (where tha tiller goes thru it).... thats what has to be right.
    Last edited by tlwjkw; 03-14-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Comparing photos, the two side "transom bracket" castings are identical. The "spacer" between the two transom brackets is identical. Also, the "swivel bracket" looks identical. The trim cylinder is identical. Below are some pics from the screamandfly archives of offshore parts, and one of my "bass" stuff. I will get some better shots this weekend when I get back home.

If somebody wants to measure the length of the swivel bracket and length of the swivel pin (or "tiller arm") on an offshore, I will be glad to measure mine when I get home to compare.

Offshore clamp:

My bass clamp:

And finally, to quote Fujimo in a post from 2014:

Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    The single-ram clamp bracket was standard fair on all V-6's, no matter the horsepower,(Hi-Perf Offshore motors included) from 1979 through 1983, so this would be period correct for that engine. Everyone later tagged it the "offshore" clamp bracket, because the newer "intregal trim" clamp bracket, which became standard on all production V-6's in 1984, was still coming on all the Hi-Perf. Division "Offshore" motors.
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "swivel bracket" is right.. ya not old enough ta no that "saddle" (1960's slang) is same thing...... sorry.

think 90.5 jus went thru this... he had one of each.. said he found some subtle differences but didn't say what?
    Last edited by tlwjkw; 03-14-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I call the ones with the area just above the lower yoke that looks like you should put a hose clamp there a 2.4 model . The late model stuff is more of a big square at the bottom. Only other real difference is those have the small tiller and no plastic side wear plates . You can machine the pockets and install them and the big tiller will go right in .
    I do think they were made out of better material back then . The new-new stuff seems to be made out of Alka-Seltzer .. plop-plop fizz fizz ...
    In my eyes , the late model 3.0L tiller arm / pin is the best way to go . You have to separate the two , turn the arm down to one inch tall , clip the steering stop nub off and shorten the pin and then put it back together . But that one will never- ever turn orange and leave a stain on your driveway ...

18. Thanks nitro_rat thanked for this post
    Likes nitro_rat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwjkw View Post
    "swivel bracket" is right.. ya not old enough ta no that "saddle" (1960's slang) is same thing...... sorry.

think 90.5 jus went thru this... he had one of each.. said he found some subtle differences but didn't say what?
    Yeah, I know what you meant, I tried to use the part names from the parts list for clarity. I can't find a parts list for the Mercury Racing stuff. Might be interesting to compare. I would think the offshore would have maybe a stainless tilt pin where the bass is probably regular steel?

If I can get my hands on a hi-po tiller I'm going to try it out. The bass tiller is going to be real close to my mod-vp cowl. I think the hi-po may have the boss machined down so it's lower to the transom for more clearance for the steering arm there.
    Josh Peterson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast