Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scawd the dog View Post
    TRY A Merc Promax 28 . I think that may help you.
    Tried that 28 promax the other day. Was an act of Congress to get on a plane. Every time I would take off it would blow out and fall back. Finally I stayed in it for a good 15 seconds of chaos until it caught. Once on a plane it ran ok. Mid 70's and 6100. I like the fact that those blades look like they could take a beating. Too bad I can't get it to come out of the hole.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is interesting. I have heard of that problem with promax props, not sure what the fix is.

I sold my 200 and picked up a 1992 135 to run for a few weeks as an interim motor. It ran 60 mph with a 25 Tempest and half fuel. I am sure 62 was in there somewhere. I was running and blew the hub on the prop so that ended my testing pretty quick.

I have a 2.5 200 I need to put together, it is sitting in the garage. I am hoping for 75 mph. But I really like the tempest on this hull.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scawd the dog View Post
    TRY A Merc Promax 28 . I think that may help you.
    Tried one of these recently. It was an act of Congress to get it on a plain. It would bite for a split second, then cavitate like crazy every time no matter the circumstance. Finally got it it and it ran ok. Still at 6k 76+mph. Been eyeballing a trophy plus to try. So far the best all around prop I've ran is the 26p fury 4 with tons of cup. Rich at leading edge has been working on it for me but it seems like no matter what we do, we can't get the rpms to drop below 6100. Well besides let out of it and we all know that's dumb. As far as the chine walk goes, I found that if I jack it up until I start dropping water pressure without overheating, it stays on the pad much easier.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot I'd already commented about this...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem I've had with every 3 blade is hole shot. It seems like it wants to dig, then right before it levels out it cavitates to where I have to fall back down or let out of it. The situations I find myself in a lot of times are either face the fact that I'll have to idle out to 2.5' of water, risk damaging a prop in shallower water, or run my fury 4 that pops up without hesitation and eats oysters for breakfast, craps out pearls, and is never worse for wear. I'm hard on my stuff.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you drop the motor a hole on the jackplate? I find that my tempest will do the same if I am not all the way down and motor tucked in. It doesn't want to grip when I am about to break over and get on plane. It runs nice once I am on plane though.

My problem now is I have a 2.5 200 with drilled exhaust, and the holeshot is very slow, like 5+ seconds to plane. There is basiclly no exhaust gasses going down to the prop. I think I may need to try an over hub prop to get some holeshot.

I would like to try a pro max because of that in-between design that lets some gasses pass over the blades. Or a trophy plus.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
    Can you drop the motor a hole on the jackplate? I find that my tempest will do the same if I am not all the way down and motor tucked in. It doesn't want to grip when I am about to break over and get on plane. It runs nice once I am on plane though.

My problem now is I have a 2.5 200 with drilled exhaust, and the holeshot is very slow, like 5+ seconds to plane. There is basiclly no exhaust gasses going down to the prop. I think I may need to try an over hub prop to get some holeshot.

I would like to try a pro max because of that in-between design that lets some gasses pass over the blades. Or a trophy plus.
    I probably could but that would be contradictive I think to the main objective for me. Above all else I need to get up and gone in 1.5' of water. You get up fishing a tournament North of Crystal River and you could find yourself idling miles to find enough water to take off. To get up in that depth I have to Jack it to the sky, then drop the plate as I plain out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was able to get up and plane off with a Big Ear Chopper. I could plane off with the plate all the way up and run it that high if I wanted. That prop held at any height on the jackplate. But it did slip a lot on takeoff cause that was what it was designed to do. Need a low water pickup though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
    I was able to get up and plane off with a Big Ear Chopper. I could plane off with the plate all the way up and run it that high if I wanted. That prop held at any height on the jackplate. But it did slip a lot on takeoff cause that was what it was designed to do. Need a low water pickup though.
    Yeah, I ran a BBLADES chopper once, the problem I found with it is that if it so much as feels the warmth of the bottom, it dings up. The fury I have is a friggin champ when it comes to bumping bottom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A lot of people will take a Bravo and cut off the flare at the end of the hub, and drill more vent voles. This is s pretty standard setup for a lake and bay that’s looking for an all around prop. In stock form they’re not great, but with the work to them, they run great and carry a load well

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might try to do that if I can find one to tear apart!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only prop I have ever had that would plane off jacked to the sky without spinning out was a predator prop. Blades are fairly robust too. Here's one...https://www.ebay.com/i/392267035306?...hoCBXcQAvD_BwE

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Only prop I have ever had that would plane off jacked to the sky without spinning out was a predator prop. Blades are fairly robust too. Here's one...https://www.ebay.com/i/392267035306?...hoCBXcQAvD_BwE

When you ran these hulls with the 2.5s, did you run nose cones?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did try a bobs off my V-King but it got me nothing but the ability to raise the motor for shallow water. If your not doing 80 a long pointy gearcase slows you down. I am back to a 200 EFI 2.5 merc on my flats boat now and am running a 24p 4 blade predator. 66 mph at 6000r's. Regular gearcase. About 10% slip. I can raise my paralift and bring the motor above the bottom and come up in 2' of water and not touch the bottom. Also have lenco tabs, and a set of transom wedges. Fairly light boat with a blueprinted bottom.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is good to hear. I am running a standard case on my 2.5 200, but I had a nose cone before on my 2.4 200. Still testing things out. But I went out the other day, first time with the motor and ran 66 with two people at 5700 rpm. 25 tempest. It had more but my passenger was ready for me to slow down. I still had the jackplate all the way down. I have the top 3 holes on the lower plugged so I'll start playing with height. I have a carbed motor so I don't have a limiter to deal with.

The tempest is a solid prop for when I am alone, but like I mentioned before, the holeshot is terrible with the drilled exhaust. I loaded the boat this past weekend and ran 60 miles with 4 people, a cooler full of beer, and 60 gallons of fuel. The boat still hit 59 mph but at 5200 rpm. I am wanting to try a trophy (plus) with the small barrel and see if I can get any ventilation on the holeshot. Or, on my 2.4 I ran a 22 chopper that carried loads pretty well. That motor also had drilled exhaust, so the over hub design of the chopper really let it spin up and get into the powerband.

I definitely want a couple different props to be able to dial in the boat for what I am doing that day

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast