Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hear the promax is a good prop to try. That might be your ticket. Looking forward to doing all the prop testing when I get mine on the water.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ran the boat with the old Merc High 5 and it was not great. Still trying to dial in the motor. But I got up to 40 mph and it kept lifting the stern. Felt like it was pushing the bow down no matter what i did with the trim. My boat has the tank up front. So I need a prop that will give me as much bow lift as possible.

What should I start with? 200 merc with a bob's cone with about 12" of setback

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the tempest on my flats boat. Plenty of bow lift. Prob a 23 pitch would work on your rig.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have finally dialed in the motor. Needed a new fuel pump. The boat ran 52 mph with the Merc High Five. It had 40 gallons up front and 3 people. Not a fan of the prop, it would slip a lot in the turns. Unfortunately my tach was working intermittently. The prop slipped a lot maybe because of my motor height. Does anyone know if these props like to run low on the pad? I may just go ahead and trade it in for a tempest.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi fives are ski props and work well on tunnel flats rigs, like texas scooters etc...Some one, some where wants that hi five, they are fairly rare to find used. Tempest or a trophy 4 blade is the ticket...

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is a pretty early high 5 with no markings and only a number. No vent holes either. I'll see if someone wants it. Ill try a tempest or trophy and report back

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a bravo XS. They are an all around good prop for the L&B hulls. I have a 28 XS on mine with a 300xs and it handles well, not as fast (1-2 mph slower) as a promax or a pro et but all around does better.
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've ran a bravo before, on a flats boat I had. Holeshot was great. It is definitely a bigger prop and I liked it. I wish I knew what pitch to get. The high 5 is a 23p and the boat was used for charters. Loaded with a trolling motor, batteries, poling platform.

I won't be fishing this boat too much. It is hard to find info on these hulls with a 200, that is almost underpowered in the Lake & Bay world.

I'll get some prop testing in this weekend and report what I find

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been running a 21 Mirage Plus for the Summer, not really chasing speed as I always have people in the boat and the prop works ok for just going to the sandbar. With a 1/4 tank and 2 people I hit 61 mph at 6400 rpm. This prop is a stern lifter from what I've read. Can't get the bow up unless I really trim it and then I'll lose speed.

Yesterday I went out alone with a 22 Chopper expecting it to pull up the bow some compared to the mirage. And it did pick up the bow with less trim but I could only hit 55 at 5900-6000. Had 1 half tank and I was alone. That puts my slip numbers pretty high up there at 16-18%. Possible that at my speeds I don't see the benefits of a chopper?

Not sure what I am doing wrong at this point. I had someone the other day tell my with the gas tank up front and such a light motor (2.4 Black Max 200), I'll never be able to really lift the bow. He suggested another 5" of setback. I'm already at 12" so I'm hesitant to add more at this point. I've also thought about adding a rear tank, but I don't want to cut up the floor just yet. I'd rather maximize what I have right now. Still looking for a tempest to try.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    12'' is plenty of setback. Tempest prop is good, good lift. Lotta guys running l&b boats with a 2.5 200 loved the trophy props too. (me included) Small barrel prop so gives the bow a lot of lift. 4 blades, hooks up fairly good. 23-24 pitch is about right. Try one of those if you can. I may have a 23p tempest in my prop pile. I will check and pm you...

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
    Yesterday I went out alone with a 22 Chopper expecting it to pull up the bow some compared to the mirage. And it did pick up the bow with less trim but I could only hit 55 at 5900-6000. Had 1 half tank and I was alone. That puts my slip numbers pretty high up there at 16-18%. Possible that at my speeds I don't see the benefits of a chopper?
    Not familiar with a Lake and Bay, save for the fact I've seen them on the water when I lived in SW Florida.

But...I'd be willing to bet the chopper you tried was an old Inline 6 or "Small Ear" chopper. They are great props and do have bow lift....just on a small light boat ( Vector Viper, etc...). Really designed with the smaller blade area for the older Inline 6 motors of the past(less torque). And almost everybody has one or has tried one...they are everywhere.

The small ear choppers don't do as well on V6 motors on heavier, larger boats as do the newer Merc choppers aka "Big Ear" choppers.

Not saying a chopper is for you. Just bringing to lite for you that there are different types of Merc choppers.

I personally have a ProCraft 1750 with a 2.0L Mariner Magnum, and do run an inline 6 worked 22. Great hole shot, and fair top end for an older bass rig. Mid to high 50's @ 6200 ( seen 58 mph once @6300)

My rig is a lot smaller and lighter than yours though.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    12'' is plenty of setback. Tempest prop is good, good lift. Lotta guys running l&b boats with a 2.5 200 loved the trophy props too. (me included) Small barrel prop so gives the bow a lot of lift. 4 blades, hooks up fairly good. 23-24 pitch is about right. Try one of those if you can. I may have a 23p tempest in my prop pile. I will check and pm you...
    Quote Originally Posted by W2F a V-King View Post
    Not familiar with a Lake and Bay, save for the fact I've seen them on the water when I lived in SW Florida.

But...I'd be willing to bet the chopper you tried was an old Inline 6 or "Small Ear" chopper. They are great props and do have bow lift....just on a small light boat ( Vector Viper, etc...). Really designed with the smaller blade area for the older Inline 6 motors of the past(less torque). And almost everybody has one or has tried one...they are everywhere.

The small ear choppers don't do as well on V6 motors on heavier, larger boats as do the newer Merc choppers aka "Big Ear" choppers.

Not saying a chopper is for you. Just bringing to lite for you that there are different types of Merc choppers.

I personally have a ProCraft 1750 with a 2.0L Mariner Magnum, and do run an inline 6 worked 22. Great hole shot, and fair top end for an older bass rig. Mid to high 50's @ 6200 ( seen 58 mph once @6300)

My rig is a lot smaller and lighter than yours though.
    I measured and it is a big ear chopper.

Unfortunately my prop testing will be put on hold. I think I have a small crack in the gas tank so I have to pull the cap and replace it. I may put in a rear tank while I have the boat down to the hull. 50 gallons in the up front doesn't help me fly the bow.

Never a dull moment with boating. Thanks for all the help thus far

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got the boat back together. Still running the same 22 Chopper and the 2.4 200 Black Max. The boat is much much lighter and I went with a twin tank setup. It feels like a different boat. Need more seat time but I quickly hit 68.7 mph. Felt like 70 was there but I didn't want to push it with not a lot of seat time. My tach was intermittent so I never got a good reading but I think I was around 6900 rpm when it would work. This was with the motor jacked way up. The higher I got the motor, the more stable the boat felt. I'll get a prop shaft to pad measurement but I would say near level with the pad.

The Chopper is just an old prop I had laying around, it could use some work. And just by adding one person I'll lose 5 mph which is probably normal, but it definitely does not carry any sort of load well.

I want to hit low to mid 70s just to see what it'll do. Then pick up a good cruising prop that'll carry a load. Any suggestions on getting into the 70s?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You are running good for that boat motor combo. I'm not sure I would change a thing. 24p trophy was the prop of choice when I ran the little motors on the l and b's. 70 was a good speed at 6000-6200 r's.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The prop is in rough shape but no nicks. I may send it off to get some cup added to the blades. Feels like there isn’t much left. But my buddy has a 23p trophy plus I can try. I don’t mind turning a few extra RPMs. But 6900 is pretty high. I hope the added cup can bring it down a bit and maybe get me into the 70s

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast