Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big O / lake and bay prop pointers

First thread on here. So forgive me if my scream and fly etiquette isn't on point with your liking.

Bought a BIG O a while back. If you're not familiar, they have the same pocket lake and bay hull design with a different deck layout. It's a dry, fast, fishing machine. I'm running a '15 250 H.O. etec with a three blade 26p raker II that looked like my 6 year old took a grinding wheel to the blades and made them paper thin. When I got it the previous owner claimed he never took it over 70 and I soon found out why as I found myself at 74 doing a little chine jig and wondering how my children would turn out knowing their dad killed himself on a boat he'd only owned a few hours. Drive through it they said.... that is false. After a little seat time, I found that jacking it to the sky would give me enough lift to sit on the pad without going through that near death experience. I ran it a few times and got to 80 once but never had conditions to get comfortable. The majority of the time I was on a fishin mission. I decided I wanted to play with props so I took it out to get all the (WOT) info I felt like I needed to start my prop search. Well wouldn't you know that about 5 minutes after launching I hit floating debris and got a few pretty wicked wounds on my existing prop. With all of that drama being said I'm at square one with trying to figure out what I need to be looking for as far as props go to keep a decent hole shot as well as top end while tournament loaded. Hoping to get some pointers from somebody with experience with L&B or big o. Thanks in advance. If I can figure out how to post a picture of the rig I will

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I run a 27p worked merc tempest on mine, and like the good plane off and good mid cruise. Wot, running light, I get 83 with a 225 opti. Right on the limiter at 5800. As far as the chine walk, check that the boat is balanced from side to side. Engine mounted square on the transom, skeg is straight, bottom has the same shape from side to side. Should be straight or have a very slight hook.. Lot of little things that get a boat squared away, and stay controllable at speed. Above all, be careful till you get some seat time and learn the boat.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Yeah I've done the weight distribution shuffle. Entering everything is pretty spot on as far placement and weight distribution.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget that entering part. I don't know how that got in there

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TRY A Merc Promax 28 . I think that may help you.
    Brent
    2009 LCB 2005 300X

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Brent! I got ahold of Vincent at ARG Marine in west Palm yesterday. He broke it down for me to better understand. I'm gonna get my hands on a 26 Raker H.O. next week to try if everything works out right. I wouldn't mind going up in pitch, but I don't really want to sacrifice my hole shot by doing so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would ask a question on this one to keep the information in the same place for people searching like I was.

Background: I have a splash hull I bought. It has a a 200 Black Max, fishing case with a bob's nose cone. I have yet to get it in the water as I am doing a full rewire on the hull, and I went ahead and tore down the whole motor and I am adding solid mounts as the old rubber ones were worn out. I only tore it down because the exhaust tuner had corroded so bad that chunks had fallen off, so I needed to replace it.

The boat came with a 23p early merc high 5 I think, Boat hasn't moved since 96 so everything is from that era. Past owner had quite a few props and said the boat had no problem doing 70+. Everything I read points towards the tempest. I'd like to have 2 props, one for speed and another for when I have people on the boat cruising. I'll know more when I run it with that 5 blade, but I am thinking that might not be the best prop for my application.

Any insight is much appreciated

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I run a 27p tempest that's a lil worked on my flats boat. 225 opti. Works real well...It's similar to a lake and bottom/big O hull.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a little prop testing the other day. Although I think I need to jump up in pitch, here are my results.

Bblades 26p blaster 4 blade chopper- awesome hole shot. When I stabbed it, I felt like it jumped a foot out of the water. The bow lift was crazy on take off. But I was able to get up while the Jack plate was at its highest positron without having to Jack back down. Any other prop I've ran wants to cavitate even when I'm jacked all the way down. It handled like a racecar. Top speed 66mph @ 6200rpm (the gentleman from Bblades recommended that I jump up to a 28p on that prop to get me down to 5750 rpm @ WOT.)

Mercury tempest 26p 4 blade- ok hole shot. Again, around 65mph I was at 6200 rpm. I was not very impressed with this prop.

Mercury fury 26p 3 blade- at this stage it was the best all around prop. Had a good hole shot, handled very nice, I was at 76mph when I hit 6200rpm (I think I either need to jump up in pitch, or add cup to reduce my rpm's.)

Raker 26p stock- horrible hole shot, 70 mph @ 6200 rpm. I sent it back twice to get them to add cup to reduce 500rpm. After the second time, my hole shot came back decent and I jumped up to the high 70's on top end but I'm still at 6200 @wot .

As soon as I save a little coin, I plan on trying that bblades 28p that they recommended. Hopefully the hole shot will be just as good while still giving me good numbers @ WOT.

I will update once I've tried it.

Radiant- I had a similar set up as you're speaking of, the prop I ran was a stock 4 blade powertech. I don't know what kind of powertech though. It had a good hole shot and 75 mph @5500rpm.
    Hope this helps you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Merc Trophy is a 4 blade prop. A Tempest is very similar to a fury. 3 blades.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo! That's what it was! 26 bravo! I just sat up in bed, looked at my wife and blurted that out. She was not as impressed that I finally remembered as I was.

Got the bblades blaster 14.75 28p today. Saturday morning I'm gonna see what it'll do

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BBLADES blaster 14.75x28p

Tried the BBLADES blaster 14.75x28p yesterday. Handling around the ramp was nice. Once in the channel I stabbed it and to my surprise, all it would do is cavitate. So I milked it and milked it until I got up on plane. Once it was up, the numbers seemed pretty good. I was in the 60's before trimming @ about 5200 Rpm's however the steering was awful. It felt like the foot of the engine was in a vice. I played with it a little bit and got it up to 5800 with a little more trim left but the whole experience put me in a crap mood. No matter how I ran wide open, the steering was still way stiff for my liking.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting about the steering. Did it remain the same when you tried moving the motor up and down?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I tried everything. The only way the steering would get better was to come out of it. It's a monster of a prop. The blades were about a half inch longer than my skeg when it was installed

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still waiting to run across a promax to try as well!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast