Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic18 View Post
    Here's the setup....it's at 14-1/4". I have a hole higher up at 16" above hull bottom.
    My mind is fuzzy but doesn't Merc call for 13 9/16" as a stock Bravo X dimension? The other guys will know for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Template.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be, but according to Mercruiser, it's 14-1/4" for a 15 degree transom with the Bravo One. Alpha and B3 are the same nominal position, but do tolerate different upward ranges
    Last edited by Classic18; 01-24-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll see if i can put you in touch with a guy that has a -2 imco.

4. Thanks Classic18 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @FUJIMO has given great advice so far. Maybe I missed it but what is your budget? That can dictate a lot of things. I've had an 18 and a 22 and I love them, still one of the coolest looking boats on the water. I love small boats too but echo exactly what was said, not the best top speed boat. They are great at cruising through chop and are fun within their limits. If it was me, I would go more for a turnkey bullet proof small block, 300-350 HP, boat can go 60 mph no problem. Nice setup for the boat. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
    @FUJIMO has given great advice so far. Maybe I missed it but what is your budget? That can dictate a lot of things. I've had an 18 and a 22 and I love them, still one of the coolest looking boats on the water. I love small boats too but echo exactly what was said, not the best top speed boat. They are great at cruising through chop and are fun within their limits. If it was me, I would go more for a turnkey bullet proof small block, 300-350 HP, boat can go 60 mph no problem. Nice setup for the boat. Just my 2 cents.
    Sounds like you have some first hand expierence with an 18. I have a limited budget, but I spend what I need to get great performance. I have a buddy that builds race engines for A sedan racing that has offered to help me rebuild my 1991 donor 5.7 Mercruiser, but he's pretty busy and has not really focused on marine engine......

i have been thinking seriously about the new SP383. What's your read on that for an 18?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have some first hand expierence with an 18. I have a limited budget, but I spend what I need to get great performance. I have a buddy that builds race engines for A sedan racing that has offered to help me rebuild my 1991 donor 5.7 Mercruiser, but he's pretty busy and has not really focused on marine engine......

i have been thinking seriously about the new SP383. What's your read on that for an 18?
    Well if it were me, I would go for one of the Mercruiser certified re-manufactured motors, probably the 357 Mag Bravo 4V - 325HP
    Probably cost less in the end, bullet proof. They offer a complete 383 as well. Turn key, warranty etc. I think they start around $7,500? And if you were to sell, it is worth more to most buyers. Anything custom is pretty risky for a buyer not knowing the internals for sure. The SP383 is a sweet motor but for you to set it up will probably cost you more than the mercruiser options.

The recommendation to go with a 2" Imco shorty is good too, way easier than changing dimensions but a stock bravo works too. If you're hull is clean, it'll be a 60+ boat, no problem.

Great boat, looking forward to seeing you get it on the water.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/...o-sterndrives/

8. Thanks Classic18 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    357 or 383 Mag option from reman is the way to go. Then a standard X dimension for a Bravo or a touch higher. Now you are done and on the water. In a couple of years, when you have more bank and want more speed you can swap over to an Imco shorty but I suspect you will never do it.

10. Likes blacktruck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    357 or 383 Mag option from reman is the way to go. Then a standard X dimension for a Bravo or a touch higher. Now you are done and on the water. In a couple of years, when you have more bank and want more speed you can swap over to an Imco shorty but I suspect you will never do it.
    When you say a touch, you thinking 14-1/4 to 15? Else?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost forgot one of the most important rigging items, in a 450 horsepower 18 Donzi... What aftermarket hydraulic steering system you going with?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say a touch, you thinking 14-1/4 to 15? Else?
    14 1/2"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Almost forgot one of the most important rigging items, in a 450 horsepower 18 Donzi... What aftermarket hydraulic steering system you going with?
    i figured I'd carryover the ps pump from the Mercruiser donor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.K. That's a start. You can use the MerCruiser power steering pump with all the aftermarket full hydraulic steering systems. What will the rest of the steering be? You definately should not use the factory cable system, at the speeds that 450 horsepower will give you. Mayfair? Latham? Zeiger? Or?
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 01-29-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you get your drive poke around for a Bravo unit that has BOTH the side water inlets and the inlets in the nose. Not hard to find and then you will never have a problem with water pressure when you are running in the rough stuff and catching some air. Also desirable for re-sale.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    O.K. That's a start. You can use the MerCruiser power steering pump with all the aftermarket full hydraulic steering systems. What will the rest of the steering be? You definately should not use the factory cable system, at the speeds that 450 horsepower will give you. Mayfair? Latham? Zieger? Or?
    I guess beyond the steering parts that are on the transom bracket and the steering pump on the engine, I have not thought about what I need in terms of a steering system. I would be interested in your thoughts on what might be a good average system that would get the job done though

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    When you get your drive poke around for a Bravo unit that has BOTH the side water inlets and the inlets in the nose. Not hard to find and then you will never have a problem with water pressure when you are running in the rough stuff and catching some air. Also desirable for re-sale.
    Good point. I'll take a look at it, but I don't think there's an inlet in the nose. I am reasonably constrained with cash so I don't know that I would replace it, but is there a substitute that would be as good? Maybe a through hull pick up? Does it close cooling system enable some of what you're referring to?

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast