Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainsteve View Post
    I have a 21' trick. Me and Charlie run together, it's the reason he ended up with a skater after going for a ride in my boat. You take time to learn the boat and don't drive it past its ability and you won't have a problem. You can feel the weight difference between the 2 as I have ridden in both. The weight of the skater Makes it ride a little better in rougher water. The trick being lighter it gets on plane faster and accelerates better but with the monster motor Charlie built for his it makes it faster on the top end.
    I am glad to see this point brought up. I get a lot of people who call and want the lightest Talon we can build and then say they want it to handle the rough. I think a lot of them get mad when I try to explain that a little heavier boat will handle better in the rough and that they would be better to build more power out of their engine to get the big top end numbers. For example, we have seen two Talons rigged identical (per say) and one weighing 150 pounds less than the other. There is about 2.5 mph difference between the two, but the the heavier one rides so much better. The lighter one will out accelerate the heavier one by a good amount, but let it get choppy and the heavier will go around it.

I have seen a lot of 21 Skater's, Xtreme's, Lightings and have only seen one Trick go through here. They are all build pretty good, but I have seen the weights bounce from 1000 to high 1600's. I have one here now that weighs 1680 un-rigged nothing in it.

In the mid 90's I chased down the lightest 24 Skater ever built. The owner took it to a near glass shop where they went as far to cut out even more material to lighten this boat. I bought this boat with stock 260's on it. After some set up and prop work I had it running 115+ easily all day long in 80-90 degree days, but it handled like crap. When I would put passengers in the back, the boat became dangerous. This one was so light you had to scoot across the deck, you could not walk on it.

With all of this said, the customer needs to be careful on what he or she want's. If you are a top end, loner, never take anyone with you, don't see rough water, get the light boat. If you think you may take some friends out, you want to be able to climb around on it without worry, come across some rough water, get the little extra material added and find another way to get that extra few mph.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried looking for a clean skater but after all the hunt and as told by someone who has owned both and many other go fast boats skater is skater but eventually your going to have to do the tanks on all of them maybe good now but it is what it is so I went with this and yeah you need to respect any boat especially high performance boats Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180310_140504(0).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	401.0 KB 
ID:	401969

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2