Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BG454 View Post
    I know this is an old thread , but if pictures still available I’d like to see them. I am wondering if my 21’ cougar can handle the weight of 300xs twins - not sure if one will be enough and I do not want to go to a 4 stroke. Thanks
    What do you have now? Are those 260's-280's?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking For The Owner of the 2001 Cougar With Twin 300X Motors!!

Quote Originally Posted by BG454 View Post
    I know this is an old thread , but if pictures still available I’d like to see them. I am wondering if my 21’ cougar can handle the weight of 300xs twins - not sure if one will be enough and I do not want to go to a 4 stroke. Thanks
    BG454
    I had a 21MTR at first with a single 300 Mariner Super Magnum on it but 2 would be a bad choice in my opinion as the extra weight in the back would put the transom very low in the water making it very susceptible to water coming over the back when slowing down. Also the bow will be very high in the air. My 22MTR was built specifically for twin 280s but the owner switched to the 300Xs, so they moved the gas tanks farther forward and the even put 200lbs of sand in the very tip of the sponsons. I have attached photos of it and my 21MTR with the single 300X on it and my 22MTR. With the extra weight the handling will be way off as well. A few years ago there was a Liberator 21 with 2 300XS on it. The owner stuffed it and it sank. A safer way to go would be to put a 450R on it. Let us know what you decide.
    Thanks
    Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0004.jpg   IMG_0003.jpg   IMG_0077.jpg   cougar 1.jpg  
    Last edited by Hydrogasm; 09-21-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary Thank you- I am having trouble posting rn what size gas tanks? Mine are 15 gal each , the motors don’t exactly match one is way spicier even sounds better than the 1998 xri I think 175 that has heads shaved, efi removed, and I assume stock internals. I can’t be sure on that but other is supposed to a 2004 o-ring heads with carbs. Still learning about these 2.5s but don’t think it’s worth trying to match them by changing electronics, heads and internals if exhaust and porting still different.

water does not come over transom when coming off plane, just looks like it’s sinking and yes this was a single with twins added in 2004. There’s still a build thread on here when he added it. Randy gave a lot of technical advice. Be really nice to speak to previous owner who installed everything. The person I purchased from didn’t know a lot about it, I found it on here before even going to look at the boat. The rub rail does sit about an inch under water on the corners with another 20 gallon of fuel in rear storage area.
    Your probably right the single 450r is probably the best choice but I do not want to go to a 4- stoke yet. After working on these enough or blow them up I maybe ready for 4-strokes!
    Thanks , Bryce
    Last edited by BG454; 09-22-2021 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lower on the port LH engine went out so I’m trying to resolve my other issues while it’s down waiting on the lower to get here. Thanks for the pics and information, I definitely don’t think it will run very good on the bottom of the river so I don’t want to change too much without advise / solutions from others who know or have done. The previous owner that installed in 2004 said he spoke to one of the guys with cougar back then and it didn’t sound like there were very many 21’s with twins. It looks fast, and it’s pretty cool firing that second engine if can just haul enough fuel on board to get where I want to go.
    Last edited by BG454; 09-22-2021 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Euroski ,
    Yes runwme did conversion in 2004 it’s still posted on here. It still doesn’t have lwpu mounted on the hull. I asked mechanic about installing it and he said wildman is exactly that and I didn’t to run them as high as he likes to. One engine sits a little higher than the other by 1/2-1 inch but I haven’t measured exactly yet but I’m thinking I can come up several inches even without the hull mounted pickup, but idk for sure

Bryce
    Last edited by BG454; 09-22-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://atlinc.com/rangeextender.html
    Mr. Dave messaged me so I’m definitely not doing the rear storage area. I am not sure if this is the same company that makes one that collapses to 7 inches or not but I did find one the other day when looking. I’m thinking try this route till I am able to have custom saddle tanks built. If this puts me in the fuel range I want to be maybe I could do 25- 30 Gallon saddle tanks and use bladder tank just occasionally for extended range trips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2