Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New vehicle optonal extended warranty questions

I broke down and bought a 2016 ford f350 with a 6.7 powerstroke. Anyway, truck had 29k miles when I bought it. Not impressed with the fuel mileage compared to my 04 duramax. I'm getting around 14.5 hwy, and 11-12 around town. The truck has a 5 yr/60k mile powertrain warranty. I was thinking about deleting the def, and cat/regen and hopefully picking up 3 plus mpg. If I go factory ford extended diesel warranty for 2600$, engine is covered 7 yrs 200 k miles, but I can't delete those items to gain mileage. I was thinking about an aftermarket warranty, but unsure of the quality of the warranty and what happens when I delete those items. So what does everyone think? Thanks for the help
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Charlie,

If you know the dealer then you are good. I had an injector stick and hydraulic my 6.0 "bent rod and cracked piston"-truck had the Gale Banks 6 gun installed from the day I bought it new. I was scared to death when I had it towed in at 96K, but $100.00 deductible and I got a new long block. I asked the service manager what the rep. said about the aftermarket (turbo, exhaust, programmer etc.) when he came to look at it and he said "I am the rep. and it wasn't one of those parts that caused the failure".

When I get my new one, I will be doing the same thing again. The 6.7s are badass once you open them up...

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks joe
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Charlie--If you can make that work (Joe's friendly service manager) that is perfect. Just about every extended warranty says it is void if you install aftermarket parts. As far as the warranty, I don't know abut diesels , but in general you can get an extended warranty waaay cheaper in the aftermarket than from the manufacturer. I have used Intercontinental, which was sold by my Credit Union, and had no trouble. They are part of the Jim Moran (can you say Southeast Toyota) family. I sure many are fly-by-night and that there are other good ones.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

5. Likes mrcrsr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Make sure you get one from a company that has been in business a long time. I got an aftermarket warranty when I bought a used car, back in 1990, with only 28K miles on it. When I was married my wife would drive my car, standard trans when I was offshore working. After awhile the synchro's in the trans started going bad. I went to use the warranty and found out the company went bankrupt. Couldn't get a dime out of them.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

7. Likes mrcrsr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was me, I would steer clear of the aftermarket warranties for a few reasons.

I am only referencing Ford warranties here, because I am very familiar with them. I was a master certified Ford Technician, and later on a shop foreman in a large Ford/Lincoln Mercury dealership. Retired now. Saw many many aftermarket companies and had to deal with many issues, most not so good.

1- IF you are wanting to keep this truck for a long time, you will likely need repairs from time to time. There may be good aftermarket warranty companies out there, but I have not had good experiences with many.

2- Factory extended warranties are good and the same anywhere there is a dealership regardless of which city or state you are in at the time. You break down, you get towed to the closest dealership that can make your repair.

3- You will get Factory new or factory re-manufactured, authorized parts, installed by factory trained technicians. That repair is warrantied anywhere you travel by the manufacture. Ford in this case.

Be SURE and compare the details of any policy you buy, there are different levels of coverage available for any company you choose from.

I would also look for a policy with vehicle rental policies.

Most dealerships have in place access to provide rentals right from their store.
    Usually you get a faster repair, because there are no inspectors that need to come and look at your truck to see the damage. With Factory warranties, this all gets done in house.

Yes, if you have a special relationship with a particular dealership you may be afforded some leeway. I saw a lot of things covered for friends of _____ that normally would not have been done. That's fine until you break down away from the area that dealership covers.

As far as your existing B to B warranty. There is no warranty on fuel mileage UNLESS there is a component failure.
    That said, your mileage will vary on a lot of things. Truck set up, IE tire size, driving habits, altitude, etc... The dealership will be able to determine if there is a component failure, and fix it. Or show you why your mileage is not up to par.
    I have seen many reports of crazy good mileage with the new 6.7 power stroke. While under the Bumper to Bumper warranty, take it back and complain about the mileage. I did MANY MANY road tests with our shop scanners recording engine parameters with and without customers present to do just that. Verify yes there is a problem, or no there was not.
    The biggest thing I saw about fuel mileage was customers relying on the fuel consumption display computers in the dash reading lower than what the window stickers said the vehicle was supposed to get. That problem was always the fact that there is an instant fuel mileage setting, and the average fuel mileage display. The average will continue to average from the last time it was reset, which most people never do. If you are basing your mileage on that display, Reset it to zero every time you fill up, and you will get a better understanding of what your mileage actually is. Good or Bad

Sorry this was so long...jus tryin to help...

James
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

9. Likes mrcrsr, CDave, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your going to do your research take Fidelity Warranty Services off of your list, they are horrible. I bought one and tried for over a year to get something covered and they gave me every excuse in the book not to cover it. I finally canceled it and got part of my money back; never again will I fall into that trap.

I believe Ford has its own warranty service you can buy.
    Dave

11. Likes mrcrsr, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently am signed up for the ford powertrain extended warranty, but wanted to get better mileage and delete all the emissions garbage, but was concerned with ford honoring the warranty if something were to go wrong with the engine with the emissions stuff deleted, thats why I was considering the aftermarket warranty. I've heard that once you put a program in the engine computer it leaves a mark that can be read by ford, even if you reinstall the factory software, so it kinda rules out the"if something goes wrong reinstall all the factory parts and bring it back in for service ". That's why I was considering the aftermarket warranty. Incidentally, it seems to get 13.5-14 hiway, where my duramax (2004) got 17, but in all fairness the duramax was 3/4 ton, single rear wheel and pre emissions, whereas the ford is dual rear wheel and 1 ton
    Last edited by mrcrsr; 10-19-2016 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Charlie,

I used to work F & I and sold thousands of warranties. An aftermarket company will always send and independent adjuster out to look at it for almost any claim that is made and they ALL look for a way not to pay. GMPP if its GM and Ford if its Ford is the only way to go. They put trust in their dealer network and service reps. for the decisions that get made.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,what is your opinion on deleting all the emissions garbage and putting a tune in it, wouldn't the aftermarket warranty not care unless it was something blatantly caused by the modifications? I really don't know anyone at a ford dealer, at least around here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    Joe,what is your opinion on deleting all the emissions garbage and putting a tune in it, wouldn't the aftermarket warranty not care unless it was something blatantly caused by the modifications? I really don't know anyone at a ford dealer, at least around here
    Can't begin to tell you how many mustangs, shelby's Lightnings, etc... I saw come through our dealership that were modified, and upon finding this out, the warranty claim became customer pay. It does depend on what modification was done to some degree. but any performance enhancements were not going to be warrantied.

The problem with flashing a new tune to a PCM, ( chip )if found will void the emissions warranty all together. And once logged into the Ford system by vin, it would be tough to get any waarranty work done anywhere...All repair orders require a vin number, and all warranty claims especially.

This won't be popular, but not all emissions garbage negates fuel economy.

James

My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James,let me ask, the dpf (diesel particulate filter) gets burned clean by the addition of raw fuel into the exhaust every so often, so that has to be a detriment to mileage, plus the sensors often fail in the exhaust system and are fairly expensive, which isn't a problem in warranty. That was some of my reasoning behind getting rid of it, and also the egr with failed coolers and such. I appreciate all the input

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree some emission systems do nothing for fuel economy, but are mandated by the Feds. And keeping them working is part of the deal.
    If your fuel mileage isn't what it should be take it in and have it checked. Some dealerships will want a diagnostic fee up front, then deleted if they find a problem to fix under warranty. Some don't.

Here is a link to the 2016 Ford Emissions coverage, some 3/36 some 5/50, etc. Also explains what is and what is not coverage. It's not a comprehensive document, but will give you an idea of what it is.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_07_2015.pdf

I bought a new Lightning in 2004, and as a Technician at the dealer I purchased it at...I bought Ford ESP premium care. I price shopped this plan around the internet, made a few calls and got it cheaper at a different dealer than the one I was employed...go figure.

I did use it a few times over the years, and it more than paid for itself.

I've been retired since June 2010, so to really get current answers maybe go to the closest dealer and ask. Just don't let them rope you into one of "THEIR" warranties. Dealerships make more $$ up front selling joe blows plan.

HTH

James

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention that the Ford ESP plans are transferable to the next owner, good selling point if you sell early.

James

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie, Your warranty won't be affected by deleting the emissions. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will apply to the changes you make. The new Chevy dealers are now selling trucks with Pro Comp Lift Kits and performance adders as brand new warrantied vehicles. Just be sure to keep your old Discarded equipment. You shouldn't need to reinstall it but should have it with the truck when you trade it or sell it to a private owner. I was looking for some performance enhancements for my GMC as I'm only getting 22 on the highway and 15 puling the race boat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast