Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, about the same city, better by a couple highway
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

2. Likes nitro_rat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    flabum, sounds good mate, you should be around 400hp, my wife's next suburban will be a 6.2 for sure. Start out at what 425 which means a few aftermarket parts and a good tune should push me, well her, to near 500 ponies. Suburban LTZ w 500hp, now that's nice indeed, and ONLY 80 grand, what a deal....Roost

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    400 from a stock 5.3 with a tune?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm nowhere near 400 hp....
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had to go back and look at your year, 08, shoulda made 300hp, i figured since you went through it you would have added some ponies (heads and cam) my last 3 silverado's I added right at 100hp doing all the bolt on stuff then taking it to a professional tuner, talking flywheel here. Several years ago when i was at Mecum Houston i learned that Chevy had made a very small number of v8 Colorado Z71's with that LS 5.3, It signified the end of the Colorado run (2012) man i came home and searched like crazy all over U.S. and finally found one, extended cab. Bought all the good stuff to go on it, CAI, DT long tube headers, the ceramic which were 800.00, twin Flomaster 40's, ported 90mm TB, MAF sensor, spacer, etc. Their is a forum especially for Colorado/Canyon owners, very few v8's in there, but i just basically copied a fellow member that had one, once he put all his stuff on and took it to a tuner he left there with around 450 if i remember right, the tuner also tunes that BS AFM and VVT out of it. Truck weights around 3200 i believe, around 1200-1500lbs lighter than a full size and man what a kick to drive, you know how many guys have put v8's in S10's, seems Chevy took notice and just built one, mine just lives in the garage and just hit 40k, still brand new. I seek out anything with a Hemi just to humiliate em, had some get pretty pissed off too, along with several eco boost fords. Sorry for the rant, Chevy just makes it easy to add hp unlike the other two, and if i keep my truck i intend to put a magnuson SC on it, add a quick very streetable 150 more hp, now we're talking big fun...Roost

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I see your in Lauderdale, next time i'm down there would love to see your boat, also like to get some info about where to run mine, i usually hang at Gilberts in K Largo where i can pull my boat right up to my room, you go down there much ? I played football at The U, come down for all good home games, broke my heart to have to leave the OB, man that place was special, I guess Hard Rock is ok but it will never stack up to the old girl, cant believe the banana republic tore it down, idiots. Bout all i do is run from Gilberts to Jimmy's to Marleys and out to the flats, just dont know my way around. I tried like hell to get Jimmy in my last boat, he wernt havin it lol, said it was a death trap, he is from my home town here in Texas, when it's not season we'll sit and talk ball over some of his green beers, he's got a good gig goin there at the Chill...Roost

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    I ended up pulling the motor and taking it apart, found a lifter skidded and the cam damaged. Put a non-DOD cam in it ('06), all standard lifters and sent the computer out to be programmed. New oil pump, soaked the pistons and rings in engine tuner and replaced all the seals. Sent the heads out for reconditioning for good measure. Put 15K on it since, runs great.

Attachment 437152

Attachment 437153

Attachment 437154
    The stock lifters in the DOD motors are absolute trash, and no the MPG does not tank if driven like a normal person.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    The stock lifters in the DOD motors are absolute trash, and no the MPG does not tank if driven like a normal person.
    agree, but when he had that motor tore down it sure would have been easy to go back with top shelf stuff and have an easy 400-450hp, those motors respond well to mods, they practically beg for forced induction lol although thats a little over the top. I have a pro charger on my 15 Z71 and you never even know its there unless you nail it, my wife drives it alot and she dont like fast and has no idea its even there...Roost

10. Likes 90 5.0 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't want to add much power, just did a a little tune in the computer. Gained about 15hp.get about 13 city, close to 20 highway.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The better tuners don’t bother turning off the go fast stuff. Especially the cam it’s good for power up to 6k when allowed to retard and still advance to put put like a Cadillac around town. Takes someone who knows what timing to program in for load and throttle angle though. Full retard makes the most power but you’ll lope like high school kids hot rod.

My tick was the transmission shop didn’t fill it up all the way after a flush.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been over 3 years since I did the rebuild.... runs good and strong. No more burning oil and it runs great most of the time. Only complaint is the torque management..... sometimes it make it feel real doggy.... Funny thing is, down here in South Florida, hard to find someone who can tune these..... go figure

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post
    The better tuners don’t bother turning off the go fast stuff. Especially the cam it’s good for power up to 6k when allowed to retard and still advance to put put like a Cadillac around town. Takes someone who knows what timing to program in for load and throttle angle though. Full retard makes the most power but you’ll lope like high school kids hot rod.

My tick was the transmission shop didn’t fill it up all the way after a flush.
    No cam timing on this.... straight gear and chain....no advance mechanisms.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    Been over 3 years since I did the rebuild.... runs good and strong. No more burning oil and it runs great most of the time. Only complaint is the torque management..... sometimes it make it feel real doggy.... Funny thing is, down here in South Florida, hard to find someone who can tune these..... go figure
    Hey glad it worked out mate. I played ball down there at The University of Miami and still have several good buds there that are all into go-fast, i'm sure they have a good tuner there in the 305 if you want me to check. They mostly run LS's so that tells you they have some smarts lol and Broward is right there anyway...Roost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2