Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe i should pay someone to take this?........ You will never find a boat like this again. Very few left.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go post it up on Fiberglassics.com on FB at Classic Fiberglass Boats

I can't believe no one is interested in this.

Karsten

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic looking boat --- freaking LOVE the center console pod/controls.. I'm already trying to figure out how to get something home from FL to TX though. Will share the info on the boat..

Just curious was there only one "flying dutchman" or mutliple models.. And if so, what model is this?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smyth View Post
    Maybe i should pay someone to take this?........ You will never find a boat like this again. Very few left.
    This project is a steal compared to the laser project I purchased and much more rare. If you want to get frustrated come to the Pompano Flea Market with us. We have new in rapper 10-20 dollars items for 3-4 dollars and people want to give us $2. Good luck with the sale and hope to do business with you in the future. Rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_texoma View Post
    Fantastic looking boat --- freaking LOVE the center console pod/controls.. I'm already trying to figure out how to get something home from FL to TX though. Will share the info on the boat..

Just curious was there only one "flying dutchman" or mutliple models.. And if so, what model is this?
    I grew up at a lake about 30 mi. from where these were made, back in their heyday in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to see a lot of them. I almost had my ol' man talked into buying a used one when I was 16-17. I ended up with a Checkmate instead - and good thing, too, as I would have almost certainly blown one of these over. I saw more than one upside-down, but that was on a windy day with an idiot driver, when neither the man nor the boat belonged out on the lake.

They were fun, that's for sure. The older brother of a girl I went to school with bought one in '73 and ran it for about a year. It actually could have been the boat that is for sale here. It was silver flake with the black fiberglass tonneau cover over the back. I know they didn't make that many of those, because that was a costly option. Cool boat. It had a '68 1250BP on it. It was probably good for mid-60's, when everything was just right. I remember that it had one of those "thrust blocks" that Merc used to sell, that attached to the transom and butted up against the lower. The other popular engine was a 1250 short. If it had trim, you could get it into the low 60's. A friend of mine reconditioned one in '77 or so, and put a 1500XS on it. Seems like it ran 70, maybe a tic more. That was a longggg time ago.

Here's some catalog pages. I only remember the two models. The b&w pic is The Man himself, Jan Schoonover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoverPage1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	397.4 KB 
ID:	361294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DutchPage2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	361297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DutchPage4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	382.8 KB 
ID:	361298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	163848_104356059642067_100002030200002_23915_2555115_n.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	361301
    Barry
    '06 Liberator Stealth, Merc 250XS
    '08 Checkmate Pulsare 2100 Long Deck, Merc 250XS
    '89 Viper (ordered from the factory), '73 Merc 1500SS
    '86 Lowe 14' aluminum 'dog swim platform', 9.8 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deposit received so we will consider this one sold for now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    I grew up at a lake about 30 mi. from where these were made, back in their heyday in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to see a lot of them. I almost had my ol' man talked into buying a used one when I was 16-17. I ended up with a Checkmate instead - and good thing, too, as I would have almost certainly blown one of these over. I saw more than one upside-down, but that was on a windy day with an idiot driver, when neither the man nor the boat belonged out on the lake.

They were fun, that's for sure. The older brother of a girl I went to school with bought one in '73 and ran it for about a year. It actually could have been the boat that is for sale here. It was silver flake with the black fiberglass tonneau cover over the back. I know they didn't make that many of those, because that was a costly option. Cool boat. It had a '68 1250BP on it. It was probably good for mid-60's, when everything was just right. I remember that it had one of those "thrust blocks" that Merc used to sell, that attached to the transom and butted up against the lower. The other popular engine was a 1250 short. If it had trim, you could get it into the low 60's. A friend of mine reconditioned one in '77 or so, and put a 1500XS on it. Seems like it ran 70, maybe a tic more. That was a longggg time ago.

Here's some catalog pages. I only remember the two models. The b&w pic is The Man himself, Jan Schoonover.

Name:	CoverPage1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	397.4 KB 
ID:	361294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DutchPage2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	361297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DutchPage4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	382.8 KB 
ID:	361298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	163848_104356059642067_100002030200002_23915_2555115_n.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	361301
    Must have been Grand Lake in Ohio
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by largecar91 View Post
    Must have been Grand Lake in Ohio
    Indian Lake, actually. There were several around there in the time they were building them, and for a while thereafter. The one we almost bought in '74 had a 1350 short on it, it was being sold out of an estate. Low hours, nice rig, most of them were pretty beat up. Dad wouldn't buy in, it was too "weird" for him There was one called "Time Tunnel" (remember that TV show?), had a '68 1250 long shaft. There was also a gold one that was owned by a guy who owned "Golden Gator Marine" in Springfield. I saw him go out one day when I was about 14, just coming in off the lake in my little 8' Minimax, because of the 25-mph wind. He said, "How is it out there?" I said, "WINDY". An hour later, they were towing his Dutchman in - upside down.

The more power you applied, the higher they flew, until... The 125's weren't typically enough to hurt yourself, unless you did something really dumb. However, if you applied significantly more power, they had a sudden behavior similar to blowout, where the nose could shovel water big time - with disastrous consequences, something like the picture.

Name:	scan0002.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	361628

There was a guy on the lake - Merlin Culver (the Culver's, Merlin and son Jon, were heavily into racing in the '50's & '60's) - who had a twin-engine rig that looked very much like the catalog pic, but I don't think it was a Dutchman. I believe it was a Continental Pegasus. 21-22'. Beautiful boat.
    Barry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, Glad you finally sold the Dutchman. I sold mine about a month ago. Neat boats but was hard to sell. I know Indian Lake well. There were quite a few Dutchmans around this area. My dad was Friends with Merlin Culver. He owned Culver marine in Dayton. He was hooked up with Carl Kiekhaefer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes a guy up north who is active in the vintage and historic APBA stuff plans to get it and rebuild her. I almost wish I HADNT found this schulze tunnel boat. the Dutchman would have been a COOL RIDE to play in..... and you could take a close friend with you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by largecar91 View Post
    Tom, Glad you finally sold the Dutchman. I sold mine about a month ago. Neat boats but was hard to sell. I know Indian Lake well. There were quite a few Dutchmans around this area. My dad was Friends with Merlin Culver. He owned Culver marine in Dayton. He was hooked up with Carl Kiekhaefer
    I worked for Jon for a while during college, and then for the guys who bought him out. Jon was one of the nicest guys in the business. Culver Aeromarine was a Mercury distributor back in the day, until Mercury went to all factory distribution from warehouses in '73. He hung on for a while as a dealer, then sold in 1976. Yes, they were hooked up with the Old Man, lots of pictures around the marina of the Culvers and Carl. When I worked for the guys who came after, Jon helped us get in on the action when GG moved the racing div. We were allowed to take a big moving van and basically take as much sh*t as we could stuff in there, for pennies on the dollar. Motors (a couple 1500XS's, a few 850XS's, half-dozen 650X & XS, LOTS of Twister stuff), lowers, LU's, props galore. Basket skids of misc hardware, and just plain junk. If hadn't been a broke college kid, I could have scored big . No eBay or Internet back then, but we had no trouble selling the stuff.
    Barry

15. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smyth View Post
    yes a guy up north who is active in the vintage and historic APBA stuff plans to get it and rebuild her. I almost wish I HADNT found this schulze tunnel boat. the Dutchman would have been a COOL RIDE to play in..... and you could take a close friend with you
    That's funny I sold mine to a guy in Florida

17. Likes hydrochicken liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast