Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bor View Post
    Rayzor , We will see what happen It doesn t have to go mid 120 , I want to have a light weight easy to tow cat that handle some nasty water we can get here on the inland lake most of the time will be cruising from town to town and there are not many 100 + mph boats here so probably she will be one of the fastest if some one want to try

like you say we will see what happens when ready and play whit some propshaft heights and weight distrubition .
    I think you're putting together a great rig! I originally wanted to put small blocks in my Skater 30, but to achieve the speed I wanted (150mph), the only way small blocks could attain that was if they were race gas motors that would require lots of maintenance. If you're not chasing crazy mph #s, your setup is going to be better than a pair of big blocks. Please weigh your motors, complete with motor mounts, ready to drop in the boat (no headers), as I'd like to see the actual difference in weight from my 588ci Sterlings. I weighed the motors before they were put in the boat, complete as you see in the attached pics, and they weighed 801 #s apiece. And my 30 complete, dry, weighed 6,850 #s before it ever had fuel in it or hit the water. If your rig is under 7,000 #s when it's complete and has an honest 650hp aside, it should run past 120mph pretty easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skater 12-18-04 002.jpg   Skater 30 Running 002.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    I think you're putting together a great rig! I originally wanted to put small blocks in my Skater 30, but to achieve the speed I wanted (150mph), the only way small blocks could attain that was if they were race gas motors that would require lots of maintenance. If you're not chasing crazy mph #s, your setup is going to be better than a pair of big blocks. Please weigh your motors, complete with motor mounts, ready to drop in the boat (no headers), as I'd like to see the actual difference in weight from my 588ci Sterlings. I weighed the motors before they were put in the boat, complete as you see in the attached pics, and they weighed 801 #s apiece. And my 30 complete, dry, weighed 6,850 #s before it ever had fuel in it or hit the water. If your rig is under 7,000 #s when it's complete and has an honest 650hp aside, it should run past 120mph pretty easily.
    Thx Razor ! I m always a big fan of your boat and wanted a 28 or 30 skater bad but could not afford one so now have this on whit a lot help from the builder to get me a deal on the first wrap around .
    Also really wanted the arnesons but had bought a set xr its allready so that s what I have and gonna use now unless I can sell them at a decent price ,that will give a few extra mph !

Weighing the motors is what I wanted to do just like you to see the difference in weight so we can compare it whit the bb and sb marine engines . also gonna try to weight the bare hull so we know what that weight before we put anything in and of course the final dry weight when ready !
    Unfortunely I will be arround 500- 550 hp a side as I now have one stroked 406 ls engine that I used to run in my 21 v hull that push out 560 hp but want to swap cams to get rid of the reversion and can be quite arround the docks as thats a issue here in europe ,and the ls is really nasty I had people fall of the dock when started and it idle at 950 rpm even whit some silencers in it .

but we will see what she does !

Ill keep you guys posted

3. Likes MeCapnDave, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are a work of art. Absolutely stunning. Can't wait to hear what bor comes up with for weight. 801 is not bad for those bad ass power plants! Holy moly!!

I wish someone would buy bor's sweet drives so he can get arnesons for the boat and get it as efficient as possible. His drives are brand new in teh original crates straight from Mercury Racing. Post of apic of them Armand. Maybe someone here will buy them.

5. Likes bor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja170 View Post
    Those are a work of art. Absolutely stunning. Can't wait to hear what bor comes up with for weight. 801 is not bad for those bad ass power plants! Holy moly!!

I wish someone would buy bor's sweet drives so he can get arnesons for the boat and get it as efficient as possible. His drives are brand new in teh original crates straight from Mercury Racing. Post of apic of them Armand. Maybe someone here will buy them.
    Yeah your right Will ! There pics of the drives on the boat here !
    but have some of the boxes as well ! LOL !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2043 - versie 2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	349.3 KB 
ID:	348552

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	399.4 KB 
ID:	348554

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so we had a long afternoon /evening of welding and finished the mounts so the next task is to get the rail on the right spot on the stringers and determ the bolt holes after that I will cut some pieces out so there become even lighter and better looking .

Name:	IMG_9235.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	418.6 KB 
ID:	349016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9236.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	417.0 KB 
ID:	349017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9238.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	349018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9239.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	438.5 KB 
ID:	349019

8. Likes NICE PAIR, MeCapnDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

i just weight my Engine whit all parts so its ready to go in the boat only not attached but put on top of it ! )

it came out at 232kg = 512 lbs less headers but including the 22lbs heat exanger for closed Cooling

the bravo its set up is 116kg = 255 lbs
    the. We have a drive shaft thats about 20 lbs so the propulsion package Will be about 800 lbs each Side

the empty hull is 3284 lbs so im curious where we come out in the end !

Lets start guessing ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	349967

10. Likes noli liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my guess is 5,500 lbs turnkey (no fuel)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bor View Post
    i just weight my Engine whit all parts so its ready to go in the boat only not attached but put on top of it ! )

it came out at 232kg = 512 lbs less headers but including the 22lbs heat exanger for closed Cooling

the bravo its set up is 116kg = 255 lbs
    the. We have a drive shaft thats about 20 lbs so the propulsion package Will be about 800 lbs each Side

the empty hull is 3284 lbs so im curious where we come out in the end !

Lets start guessing ! Click image for larger version. 

Views:	94 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	349967
    Congrats, those motors are really light! Your motors are almost 300#s apiece lighter than mine, and your drives are about 70#s lighter apiece than mine (I believe my ASD 7s are 320#s with transmissions and steering). So your complete drive package is approximately 750#s lighter than mine, but I'm guessing your boat is a little heavier - Pete never weighed my bare hull, but he said he thought it weighed right around 3,000#s. Just doing a quick rundown of the #s, I'm going to guess that your complete rig will come in around 6,200-6,500#s, complete - ready for the water with no fuel. Mine is probably just shy of 7,000#s (weighed 6,800#s when it left Skater with no tie-bar or props on it). With the power you will have (hp/torque), I'd say you should figure your gear/prop/max rpm for teens. I think it's going to be tough for your setup to run 120+, but I'm pretty certain it'll run better than 110. You always want to start on the conservative side when building a new combination - it's better to be able to over spin your gear/prop combination than to not be able to pull it if you start too tall. Just for reference with boats similar size/power - I know of two 32' Spectres and one 29' DCB in my area that all have 550-650hp aside (naturally aspirated Mercury and Ilmor powered boats) and all three are running between 116-122. You'll definitely be lighter, but also have less horsepower and torque. Keep up the good work, it's cool to see you doing something different - and with your own blood, sweat and tears!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's here 19.jpg   It's here 13.jpg  

13. Thanks bor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well the nice thing about the LS series of engines is that they come with cross bolted main caps , large diameter cam tunnels that are way up out of the way of the rotating assembly , short pushrods and 15* large valve heads from the factory. Add a pair of Borg/Warner airwerks 62 or 66 mm hair driers and a mega-squirt gold box and it's easy to make 1000 HP on pump gas and over 1500 on a load of 110 .
    Chaz= thinking it would scoot along pretty good with 3000 beans ....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtRdu_w84Rk

15. Likes bor, MeCapnDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's funny Chaz...been following Nelson for a while. He's been at this for many years and knows his way around these LS motors.
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Well the nice thing about the LS series of engines is that they come with cross bolted main caps , large diameter cam tunnels that are way up out of the way of the rotating assembly , short pushrods and 15* large valve heads from the factory. Add a pair of Borg/Warner airwerks 62 or 66 mm hair driers and a mega-squirt gold box and it's easy to make 1000 HP on pump gas and over 1500 on a load of 110 .
    Chaz= thinking it would scoot along pretty good with 3000 beans ....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtRdu_w84Rk
    Thats a freaking powerplant ! but no way that would fit in the engine bay !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    That's funny Chaz...been following Nelson for a while. He's been at this for many years and knows his way around these LS motors.
    Then I'm sure your familiar with the "sloppy mechanic's" series of video's as well ... LOL

Thats a freaking powerplant ! but no way that would fit in the engine bay !
    No room in a Corvette engine bay either , that's why they hang em ten feet away under the rear bumper ....
    Just food for thought in case you wake up one morning and think making twice the power seems like something you feel like doing ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails twin_turbo_vette_1b.jpg  

19. Likes bor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have some work done , on side the engine rail is ready and mounted for a test fit .
    the other side we have measured and gonna. Do some adjustments to make the other side fit properly we have made the rails so that we can move the engine 5" either way to the front or back .
    now we can make the shafts on the correct length .

Views:	77 
Size:	378.2 KB 
ID:	352029Click image for larger version. 

Views:	62 
Size:	381.6 KB 
ID:	352030Click image for larger version. 

Views:	64 
Size:	392.4 KB 
ID:	352031Click image for larger version. 

Views:	59 
Size:	374.8 KB 
ID:	352032Click image for larger version. 

Views:	57 
Size:	393.1 KB 
ID:	352033

21. Likes noli, MeCapnDave, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update !!! A lot of us over here are looking forward to seeing her fly !!!

23. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works progressing nicely. I recommend using Architectual Angle, not Structural. 4'' x 6'' x 1/2'' works great for just about everything, stringer mount related. It comes in 20' sticks.
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 08-11-2016 at 12:15 PM.

25. Thanks bor thanked for this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast