Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1987 eliminator / stoker V tunnel need help with set abd mods

OK scream and fly folks just bought a 1987 eliminator/Stoker V Tunnel style boat it has a 2.4 EFI Merc engine on it that is completely stock with the oil injection still intact the boat has a manual jack plate that is set as high as it can go and a set of what looks like to be factory trim tabs on the back of the boat conected at the tunnel area
    I have not even had a chance to put the boat in the water yet previous owner says he does about 70 miles an hour or so with the 23 pitch prop that it has on it .
    don't know don't know much else about it
    I'm seeing if anybody out there has any suggestions I would love to get into the 80 mile an hour area with this boat.
    The boat is superclean think I've got something good to start with I'm looking for some opinions do I put a set of reeds in it and exhaust tuner and go to a different prop any ideas opinion or help would be appreciated here's a few pictures of the boat so Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	294 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	340968you can see what I'm dealing with thanks Click image for larger version. 

Views:	270 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	340965Click image for larger version. 

Views:	480 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	340966Click image for larger version. 

Views:	591 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	340967

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest that if the motor is running fine to take out and run it. Take note of how quick it planes out (holeshot) and how the boat performs such as how well it handles at faster speeds and take note of how much water pressure you have at idle and at the faster speeds. Also how many rpms the motor is turning when you get at top speed. Getting the motor set at the right height and and trying some different props would be a good starting point. A 23 pitch prop seems IMO to be to smàll for top speed. More than likely with that motor, the height it is adjusted, you will have a decent holeshot and quick acceleration but not maximum top end speed. If water pressure is good and boat handles good at that motor height then I would try some larger pitch props and see what RPM and speeds you get and go from there. I never have owned that type of boat but I do own 3 speed boats ( 2 tunnels and 1 vee bottom) and what I recommended is pretty much a standard starting point on setting up any speed boat. Once you run it report back is basic info and I would imagine there is several very knowledgeable people on here that know alot more than I do about your boat and set up that would be able to tell you what you need to try to accomplish your goal. Hope this helps you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qw.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	340973Stoker SST 20 I believe(laid up at Eliminator with eliminator serial number) ....likes the motor close to the boat(no big setback)Mazco RE 3 blade 26-28 area and Merc lightning ET 26...its a great boat/setup but you wont reach top speed with the prop you have....also seat time is a must to get all you can out of this , good luck and enjoy as you have a great combo
    Last edited by mlt; 04-07-2016 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so the 2.4 did not run so good so I scrapped it and threw a 1996 mercury promax 225 on the boat it is supposedly rebuilt and tuned to the 260 specs
    I had it in the water this week and ran a little bit with 28 Mazco
    it seems to run OK but I never really got to run It at full open throttle even with the motor trimmed down it seems to throw a lot of rooster tail is the motor set too high on the jack plate .
    it is not A hydraulic adjustable plate it is manual right now the centerline of the propeller shaft is sitting 2 inches above the bottom of the boat should I lower the motor down more to get more prop in the water ? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	445.8 KB 
ID:	345459

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a BBlades 28 Blaster and a 28 Merc ProET, wouldn't sweat the rooster tail height unless you're at wide open throttle! Alan suggest no more than 4 inch setback on the jackplate, run it hard, watch your RPM's, and try to get them to max recommended!
    why ask me ?