User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=XstreamVking;2853491]If you are gonna use poly and epoxy on repairs, do the poly 1st and then use the epoxy......[/QUOT

Excellent advice!!, but need to say why !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    test

3. Thanks capt bart thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    grinding is a lovely job and each time the grinder takes a little thin layer off it reveals the truth of how bad the guys are that built the boat originally , slap dash and she'll be right , out the door and get the money !!
    Lack of resin is the biggest cause of what you are seeing , even after reloading you photo and getting a real close up its shocking and it need to be ground even more sorry to say !Been laid up with a chopper gun way to dry and not enough resin then the woven has been laid over the top of the chopped glass and the woven is also lacking resin . That is 99% of the problems you have uncovered . If you could have got some really close up pictures you would find dry fibres for sure not only in the csm but the woven as well . And as for the wood in the keel well I wont go there !!
    As a QA in a few companies in recent years I have a USB plug in hand held microscope with a long lead for my lap top and it gets up really close and reveal's the root of problems encountered . And the laminators are able to see what they are doing wrong and how bad the workmanship really is !!
    Its 95%of problems are just bad workmanship and the other 5% is poor choice of materials in most all cases !
    Good luck !
    Love your photos and keep them coming !!
    Yup. Lots of dry spots in this boat. Even worse was how many dry spots are part of the "professionally done" transom that I ripped out only because I didn't want any wood when I was done. That block in the bottom was funny. Someone had really just soaked the old rotted block that was for screwing the bilge pump down with tons of epoxy. IT was annoying because the grinder would rip through rotted wood like butter, then hit a hard spot of epoxy, then a big chunk would fly off. Annoying. Balls deep in a big remodel job to pay for all this now, so won't be much to post for a bit.
    Greg

'73 Switzer SS170 w/ '75 Merc 1500 L6
    '89 Switzer SK-175-BR w/ '88 Merc XR4 150
    '90 Switzer SS-20-BR w/ Supercharged 350ci I/O

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    Dude I REALLY have to call ya the carpet that comment. I have known Bob and Dave Switzer since the 70's and build the most SOLID BOATS known. Had a XS on a 74 SS 17 and a monster, "perfect ride". Neighbor a GL20, 200 Rude. One day Bobby and Carol, (and the doggy) with his NEW GL21 and a 235 Rude assend came up our channel and now he was "fastest us"!
    To blame the "builder" of a boat made LONG ago? Silly as its the ownership its history that didn't do maintenance, care for proper.
    I don't know the year the boat being worked on but it damn sure wasn't built yesterday but more like 30/40 years ago!

Sorry Robby, got to agree on his comments. This boat is an 89. NOT built by the Switzer family, and you can really tell. It is nothing like my 73 was. I could have taken most of this boat apart with a butter knife. My 73 was hell just to get the rotted floor out of, and when I did, all the dagger board and core were still dry because they had actually been glassed in. On this boat, there were parts of the core that the glass over it never even touched the hull, and other spots, no glass at all. Just sloppy everywhere. Next to the passenger seat (which always wobbled a bit) there was a 2 inch gap between the floor and the part of the chine that the floor should have been glassed to. They filled that 2 inch gap with bondo over foam. The seat wobble was the floor not being bonded to the hull at all. When done, it will be how Bob and Dave Switzer would've done it, but with Coosa and Epoxy.
    Greg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    If you are gonna use poly and epoxy on repairs, do the poly 1st and then use the epoxy......
    That's the plan!! Just using poly to fix the hole in the hull so I can get away with only blending in the gel coat rather than re-do the whole bottom which is otherwise in excellent condition. Then all internal work and new structure will be done in Epoxy over that. I really liked the way you did your V-king. Your thread and shared experience and knowledge throughout this forum has been really helpful to me. THANK YOU!!!!!
    Greg

7. Likes W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Switzer-Head View Post
    Sorry Robby, got to agree on his comments. This boat is an 89. NOT built by the Switzer family, and you can really tell. It is nothing like my 73 was. I could have taken most of this boat apart with a butter knife. My 73 was hell just to get the rotted floor out of, and when I did, all the dagger board and core were still dry because they had actually been glassed in. On this boat, there were parts of the core that the glass over it never even touched the hull, and other spots, no glass at all. Just sloppy everywhere. Next to the passenger seat (which always wobbled a bit) there was a 2 inch gap between the floor and the part of the chine that the floor should have been glassed to. They filled that 2 inch gap with bondo over foam. The seat wobble was the floor not being bonded to the hull at all. When done, it will be how Bob and Dave Switzer would've done it, but with Coosa and Epoxy.
    Now we know .."the rest of the story"! Didn't know the year the boat and you are correct. What ticked me off is the blanket statement boat builders build junk here (and he's not a US citizen either the OP), but does know his stuff and agree him. But Bobby and Dave built some FINE/SOLID boats the 70's and way before Damn, my older brother had a Baby Switzer with a Merc 20H when I was 6 years old! Be 66 June 13th too! I simple did NOT want Bob and Dave, and there "Switzer" name trashed talked. They are and always will be "friends mine" and built special order my 74 SS17 when the new Merc XS came out. Motor was "massaged new" by Ralph Kozan, and rigged by Jim Moulis (King of the cushion Outlaw Sprint car jockey) that ran Fox Lake Harbor. Both Swit bros and all mentioned were true innovators of the days of early "fast boats, safe, done right"..etc. Damn, if a new more HP motor out the market, they built a boat for it!
    Thanks for the clarification as know a lot, still not everything, and never will!
    Best luck with the progress the "Swit"..
    Last edited by Robby321; 05-08-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im sure that the boat will look great when you are finished, it is too bad for the mishap though!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=tunnels;2854389]
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    If you are gonna use poly and epoxy on repairs, do the poly 1st and then use the epoxy......[/QUOT

Excellent advice!!, but need to say why !!
    Are you serious? If you are an expert or consultant you should know this. I am a novice and know this.
    Not fast enough

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    Dude I REALLY have to call ya the carpet that comment. I have known Bob and Dave Switzer since the 70's and build the most SOLID BOATS known. Had a XS on a 74 SS 17 and a monster, "perfect ride". Neighbor a GL20, 200 Rude. One day Bobby and Carol, (and the doggy) with his NEW GL21 and a 235 Rude assend came up our channel and now he was "fastest us"!
    To blame the "builder" of a boat made LONG ago? Silly as its the ownership its history that didn't do maintenance, care for proper.
    I don't know the year the boat being worked on but it damn sure wasn't built yesterday but more like 30/40 years ago!
    I hear what you saying loud and clear BUT time and water has a great way of showing weaknesses and what we thought was great workmanship at the time !! same with materials used woven and chopped strand have been used since the year dot ! resins have improved a lot but its still allows water into it and how things are built is also a big part of why we have to continually strip and repair as well . Wood of any sort is an Absolut no no in any boats also foam used for floatation, those two materials need to be banned totally and cause more problems than just about anything else combined !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribed!!

Please take pics... and post ...

James
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My business has taken off and I have sidelined the Switzer work until the workload slows for the season. I may get a few days in of grinding and fitting core next week, as it looks like I have a break between jobs, but no long hours are going to happen until fall really sets in. Since I couldn't not have a boat for the summer, I went and bought a Supra TS6M inboard to keep me skiing and let the kids swim. Will be selling that boat in the spring and going back to my Switzer. A few pics of the "temporary 2016" boat below. A nice 445 hour 1987 Supra TS6M Kevlar Supercomp with 351W from just down the lake for an absolute steal of a deal!

Greg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like a fun boat for the family! And bet ya end up keeping it longer than thought!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates on this switzer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2