Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delawarerick - I definitely wasn't talking about getting a skier pulled out of the water - I was simply addressing the OP's concern of the skier pulling the boat around once up while doing cuts and what not... A performance (i.e. lighter) 16ft boat of any type simply isnt going to be the best choice for a heavier skier...

I've not skied behind a sweet 16, but have skied behind gobs of I/O and outboard 16ft performance boats and I definitely was jerking the boat off of track as I would cut and jump the wake.. It was not a great experience for me and it made the job of driving suck as well as constant adjustments had to be made...

Anyways...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm never skied competitively, so can't comment on that aspect, but am a solid 235 and love to slalom ski. My dad had us skiing behind a 16' aluminum with 35 as kids, and we moved up to his 17' deep v with 115 when we outgrew the 35. This is back in the 70s. The 115 was a Merc and not the quietest not perhaps the best choice of ski power. Dad and I upgraded to a Merc 135 V6 in 85-86, same Crestliner deep V closed deck. Added a ski pole which made it a whole lot more skier friendly. The only issue with that setup was the wake, it was quite large and frothy on one side and crisp on the other - changed with load, chop, wind etc. It had the grunt to pull up all my buddies, a couple of whom skied competitively. Just not the snap of a tournament boat. It was a great cruising rig, ran about 53 mph, and was good on fuel back in those days. From there I jumped to a CVX 20 Sprint with a 200 Merc which was a good all around rig, sleek, fast ( 60 ish), and quite ski-able. The lack of a full windshield, and the pain of getting out the bow on the beach were the draw backs. The V6 winding up would likely be too much for you.
    After selling that kids came along, and I've had a couple of operations to repair pinched nerves in arms and legs, so not much skiing for many years. My nerve issues are about as good as they are going to get, and at 50 am looking forward to this season and a 60' rope. I've had the opportunity to ski behind Supra TS6Ms, Moomba Boomerang & Outbacks, Ski Nautiques, and several varieties of I/O & outboard runabouts. I have a special bowrider in mind, and will power it with an etec when that comes together. Until then I'll continue with the Supras and Moombas. I can not pull one of those around or cut hard enough to slow the boat down.
    The other consideration for me has been a Mastercraft open bow.
    The noise issue will be your biggest challenge. There have been a few times when the only noise was from my ski and spray, but that was due to wind direction and surroundings. It might be worth investigating hearing protection you could use while skiing.

pointer

3. Likes dominodave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a Glastron Ski Machine. Somewhat deep V for smoother ride. Able to handle 200 hp. I bet a modern 4 stroke would push it nice.

It was designed for skiing.

http://www.classicglastron.com/85gl-skimachine.html

They pop up from time to time.
    L6fan57-88

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a completive slalom for many years. I have skied behind a wide verity of boats, from a 16' Sleekcraft w/115 Merc. to a 50' Searay. I only weigh 150#, but could pull any of the boats around except the Searay! I have a 19' FourWinns U-19 (Donzi hull) since new in1996, and have skied behind it a couple of times - OK, but not really a "ski boat". You really need a proper 19' inboard real ski boat, ie. Master Craft, Nautique, Malibu, American Skier, etc. I really don't waste my energy skiing behind anything else or with someone that is not experienced in real slalom course driving. They are relatively quiet also. A lot more than the Donzi would be. JMO!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even our 1994 Ski Nautique 2001 with 351 and 3 big ass turn fins is hard to drive through a slalom course with a very good slalom skier behind it. You have to correct every time they turn and cross the wake. Our tow pylon is in front of the engine and engine hatch. My dad's larsons and checkmates with a great skier behind it were very hard to keep from running over buoys on the course. A 230# skier would be pulling the Nautique, you would have to be a hell of a driver to pull a skier with anything with a pad through the slalom course that did not have 3 turn fins under it and weighted like a competition ski boat with the engine on the CG. JMHO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milkdud View Post
    Find a Glastron Ski Machine. Somewhat deep V for smoother ride. Able to handle 200 hp. They pop up from time to time.
    That's a good suggestion. Here is one for sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GlastronSkiMachine200.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will sell you my Ultra 23XS with a 250 on the back for $20k. These boats are mid cabin open bow with the pylon in front of the dog house. Pad bottom V is excellent for skiing. and you have a nice big sun pad. The true length is 21'10"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ultra23XS.jpg   Ultra23XSOverhead.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ues sir!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doc we are on the same page behind a donzi we forgot noise I start mine and when the smoke clears FWC officers are gatheredthat ultra looks sweet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J Craft with 150 Etec. The new Etecs are quieter and you liked the J Craft before.

my Etec is only a 115HO and it's quiet for an outboard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mercury's are quiet when key is turned off lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidlake View Post
    I was a completive slalom for many years. I have a 19' Four Winns U-19 (Donzi hull) since new in 1996, and have skied behind it a couple of times - OK, but not really a "ski boat".
    Does the U-19 have the same smooth round 24 degree bottom that the Donzi has? I would think having a raised pad on the bottom would help plant the stern better against the pull of a skier.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have a 19' J-craft that I use for water skiing and love it. I have been on some of lakes you mentioned and agree the Jcraft is not best suited for the rough or choppy waters unless you have air suspension seats. I also had a Charger that was a good ski boat but again wasn't the smoothest ride in a chop. I had a 18' Panther/Checkmate for 3 or 4 years and it was the best multi purpose boat I had for skiing, tubing, cruising and performance. It had a decent amount of v at the front for breaking waves and a nice pad and step at the rear to provide a pretty flat wake for skiing.

IMO a 16 foot v hull style boat with an I/O will have a big crest and a roll to the wave that is better suited for wakeboarding than water skiing. You need at least 18' in length so the boat planes quicker. Just my .02.
    Silly question but have you tried wearing ear plugs or headphones to eliminate the engine noise or wind noise in the boat you have now? Glad to hear you and your family can still enjoy the water sports.
    Triad V21 #002 - 15in DBR 300 xs
    19' J-Craft - 175 Opti
    18' Pontoon - 115 CT 4S

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    Does the U-19 have the same smooth round 24 degree bottom that the Donzi has? I would think having a raised pad on the bottom would help plant the stern better against the pull of a skier.
    Yes, It has a rounded bottom of the hull, no pad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moomba mobius lsv .....Clean v-drive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7343_moomba_BB.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	339628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7343_moomba_F.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	339629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th11IAN5T7.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	339630loose the wake tower and looks very clean in the water.
    same boat in direct drive is called the Mobius ls .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast