Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever waterskied behind a 'Donzi Sweet 16'

I love the look of the Donzi Sweet 16. My family loves waterskiing. How well do they go together? Can an advanced/expert waterskier pull the boat all over the place when your driving? Does it track nice and straight?

My family of four includes four experienced slalom skiers. I started barefoot waterskiing at 16 years old, & now I am ~200lbs. We love being in the boat, on the lake and anything powerboat related --including going fast.

But we also have a weird set of challenges. We were involved in an auto accident & have suffered from some serious [brain] injuries. While we can physically still ski, we struggle with loud, noisy, environments. As a result, we are trying to pick our next boat based on a bunch of puzzle pieces that do not fit together very well.

• It must allow us all to ski behind it. We may end up pulling two skiers, both my daughter & son (together). I am an advanced 200lbs 6'2" waterskier/barefooter. (I love the Donzi's wrap around seating.)
    • It must be quiet -- no through hull exhaust. I love the sound, but cannot tolerate it.
    • A shallow Vee hull is better than the flat bottom for a better ride --less pounding which are quick to induce headaches.
    • Ideally it fits in the garage. (Or I would consider moving, if needed.)
    • Go fast. (On this forum I supposed I should say go moderately fast (~50mph) I know many of you guys would *not* consider 50mph fast.
    • Look good, going slow, or just floating, when the engine is off & quiet
    • no Outboard -- too loud.

I have skied behind a lot of boats over the years. My wife & I love skiing behind a J-Craft --there is absolutely no wake -- that is pure awesomeness for a skier, although an advanced skier tends to pull the boat around a bit making it harder for the driver. I have waterskied behind J-Crafts, Chargers, Sidewinders, Ski Nautiques, Superas, Mastercrafts, Moombas, & 19' 'Runabout' Bowlders. In fact, I first got up behind an small aluminum boat with a 6Hp. That was a few years ago, now!

Has anyone with at Donzi 16' Ski Sporter ever pulled an accomplished ~200lb slalom waterskier/barefooter? How well do they fit into my crazy requirements? Or if you're a waterskier, & have skied behind one, give me the scoop!

Thanks to everyone who responds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine any inboard or outdrive boat being quieter than a 4-stroke outboard.
    Last edited by pyro; 03-18-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

3. Thanks chameleongates thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about the 4 stroke outboard comment unless your comparing them to a 3 liter merc I/O.

They are the quietest small boat motor Ive ever personally experienced.

chameleongates, where are you located?
    Azure AZ259, 8.1

5. Thanks chameleongates thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like you need an early 2000s correct craft or master craft with the below water exhaust exit. They make a lot less noise then the older ones, have nice wind noise protection with the wrap around windshields, and are the best for skiing and tracking straight. They will run 50 with a light load.

Joe

7. Thanks chameleongates thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no but we had family reunion and skied , and tubed behind my 23 Daytona with twin 260's ,22 pitch round ears buried there was no wake so skiing was great tubing was boring till we hammer down 20 to 70

9. Thanks chameleongates thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Grady,

I'm in Ottawa, Canada. I'm about 1 hour due north from the NY border & 4.5 hours from Toronto (or Muskoka).

Rob

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh..

I forgot to add. I never considered a 4-stroke. Maybe it should be added... On a 17boat, what would you recommend? It definitely needs the power of a V6. I had a 19' Doral Bowrider with a 4.3L MPI which was about perfect. Before that, I had another 19' Doral bowrider with a 115HP. I've also had other smaller engines on smaller boats, and always thought the sweetspot was a about a 150HP HO ETEC (2-stroke) because I always thought it had better low end power torque for pulling out a skier, but didn't cost a fortune at the gas pumps. The 115HP was just not enough to pull out my 200lbs of Tim-Horton-donut-eating muscle.

Joe: A early 2000 Master/Correct craft would be nice, but they don't have the look of the Donzi. I've always liked the look without a windshield. Although... what you suggest is probably more practical, especially if wind noise is now an issue -- and I guess it is.

Eli: Holly crap tubing at 70mph!?! That's insane. (As it happens, earlier tonight, I just saw a pair of skiers going double at 135mph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1erFxkcN4)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am extremely sorry to hear about your situation - though if you're still able to water ski then you've definitely got a lot going for you!!!

I can speak a little bit to your situation as I am also a 200+ guy... The donzi S16 is a light boat.. If you are anything but a novice slalom guy, I can't imagine you wouldn't be yanking the boat all over the place. Even when I was younger and JUST tipping the scales over 200lbs I was yanking my fathers glastron CVX18 all over the place.. I can't imagine there is anything special about a donzi sweet 16 that would make it pull a skiier better than a CVX18 would.....

Could be completely wrong as I have NOT skiied behind a sweet 16.. Just thought I would post my thoughts...

Doc

13. Thanks chameleongates thanked for this post
    Likes RIVERRUMMER 70 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doc I disagree my 16 Donzi is heavy real heavy and it takes rough water and tracks true. I could rip the arms out of a 200-250 pounder especially if I use a high 5 or compatible prop. I do agree that it is not a ski boat but a 16 with sbc set up right is a bear.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A major drawback to the 16 Ski Sporter is the noise due to no windshield. If your plan is built around skiing, there are many better options for the $10k you will need to spend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to keep it as simple as just waterskiing. The reality is we use it for cruising & exploring.

And we trailer it -- everywhere.

We live in Ottawa & do not own waterfront property. Subsequently we trail it everywhere... There are several land-locked lakes in the Gatineau region, multiple spots on the Rideau River, the Ottawa River, Big Lake Rideau, Newborn, Sand Lake, & anything else close. We drop it in the river in Manotick & go up the UNESCO world heritage site (Rideau River) to Marrickville. We have also taken it from Smith Falls down the system to Kingston & over to the 1000 islands. Although this kind of trip is much, mush less common. We have We have trailed it over to my sisters place in the Muskokas (Mary Lake, Lake Rosseau/Joseph/Muskoka) or my sister-in-laws on Halliburton lake.

As a result of the trailering I was thinking a smaller boat is better. As a result of not owning waterfront & using multiple public access points [on rivers] I was hoping to stay away from the full inboard as it has less control around over-crowded docks.

We also swim from it in the middle of the lake... like a raft.

The one thing we've always liked is the wind-in-your hair; trying to take a breath cause the wind is blowing in your face so hard experience The wind noise is tolerable (in short durations, and followed by rest) The thought of driving fast at dusk and giving the kids the "bugs in your teeth" experience makes me smile.

-I suspect a V6 powered 4-stroke on a 16-18' boat would be 'pulled around' by a good skier more than a heavier 16'-18' boat with a V6 powered i/o, right?

I am on board with either a V6 i/o I know everything is a trade off, but where is the sweet spot? Any specific suggestions I *should* be looking at?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TRUE ....a sbc will yank you out with little effort ......but a good solid 160-180 lb advanced skier will pull that boat all over the place .....even the best driver will not be able to compensate.
    open bow direct drive or v-drive would be more suited to your needs. sold a customer a nice 2004 20' Moomba lsv with a 320 efi a few years ago and it was a sweet family boat ...was more than enough room for family with the open bow. 320efi v-drive is good on gas more than fast enough close to 50.
    just an idea.
    for the record any 16"-18" o/b or I/0 of any kind will be pulled all over by a good solid skier period ....

18. Likes doc_texoma, Baja170 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great info.
    Being a competitive waterskier for many years
    I've skied behind everything.
    If your trying to make a tow boat out of a
    family cruiser design and build a good ski pylon.
    You want to pull from as far up from the transom
    as realistically possible. For a I/O at least in front of
    the engine. I can pull any boat made around from the transom.

Dago.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stoker 204 SST

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7460.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	405.8 KB 
ID:	339570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7459.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	418.0 KB 
ID:	339571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7441.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	396.1 KB 
ID:	339572
    Stoker 204 SST
    Seats 7, with club seating rear facing seat excellent for skiing.
    I am selling the hull and trailer no motor
    Fresh
    interior 2013, new fuel tanks
    Add your choice of four stroke power it will be super quiet, fast, fuel efficient and handles.

hugh.durham@snet.net

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll call your sweet Stoker and raise you with an Ultra 23XS mid cabin open bow with a white wacker on the backer and room for many
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ultra23XSOverhead.jpg   685 (2).jpg  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast