Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allison Grand Sport (newbie)

Looking for a fun ride boat and Ski boat. Something that looks good and will haul ass when wanted. More joy riding than anything. I had the smaller Allison bass boat with a 260 mercury on it. I never could keep it on the pad well. I didn't like sitting like I was on floor either. Looking at one of these boats on here now. I'd think this design would do good if I did some salt water riding in the waves. Any thoughts?
    George Bryant 352-267-8330

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great boat, but your concerns would still be there. Low seat, and it takes some skill to drive. Quite easy to drive once you have enough practice, but few jump in and go fast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What model Allison bass boat did you have

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup a little seat time and setup and they drive themselves
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the GS fits the bill except the ocean wave riding part. Lots of guys run them in the ocean but in protected waters in the keys ect.. if you plan on going into the open water you might want a little deeper gunnels and longer hull? The vee is very deep on the GS 24deg entry 21 or 22 at the stern but very light hull for taking waves. They are so buoyant with the composite they use they tend to right over not threw waves 2ft+.

The tuff 21 with a 300xs or a 21ft Progression with a 300xs would be a fun boat and better in the waves. Not near as quick as a GS but no slouch and will do 95-100 on good water. Excellent build quality also both of them. You will pay a little more for the Tuff and they are hard to find, people keep them as with the progression.

if your into tunnels a skater 21ft with a 300xs Trick 21 or a liberator, 22ft Cougar mtr, 22ft Talon. For ocean use the 21ft Skater and Trick in that order would be my choices for just fun fast ripping around with the occasional ski duty as far as sking behind a tunnel goes.

Its to bad Donzi doesn't make a 22ft Classic outboard that would be a sweet hull with an outboard!!! if i had 50 grand or less to spend I would try and find a 21ft Tuff with a 300 on her. That would be my first choice. Second choice would be a 21ft skater. Third would be 22ft talon but that would my first if no open ocean running and just lake running. Would also be the best ski boat of the 3 not to mention sexy as hell! But if you go 22ft talon a 21ft GS is very comparable in the same conditions so stick with the tuff and Skater for ocean use. tuff can get you home dryer in real nasty crap than a 21Skater but the skater is no slouch for a small tunnel in crap also for her size. i would say 24ft Skater but then you have less skiability ect... the quickness with a single for the 21ft skater is decent also.

Motor I would go 300xs first,300X,second, if money was no object a new CRT block on a 15 inch ROS mid with a SM 1.62 gears and Carbon cowl .
    Last edited by whipper; 02-23-2016 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you'll like the Grandsport. The only difference compared to your old bassboat will be it has a closed deck. You're still sitting on the floor and it still needs to be driven. Having just said that, if I wanted a 20 ft. sport with a slightly larger interior than the SS, I'd own another Grandsport in a second (would be my third).

MDS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feed back.