Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 V6 Evinrude Lower Unit Issues

I bought a rebuilt lower unit as a spare for my 1988 225 Evinrude from a marine dealer down south that was recommended to me. It has a Bob's nosecone and was "completely rebuilt" It lasted 30 minutes before it ate itself. I sent it back and they returned it with a brand new forward and pinion gear set but another used reverse gear. When I opened up the box i could not even turn the drive shaft so I disassembled the gear case and found that the pinion and forward gear were brand new but the used reverse gear does not mesh with the pinion correctly. Also the lower driveshaft bearing and main needle bearing were completely shot. My question is, does anyone know of anyone reputable to set the pinion height because I do not have the gauge to do it my self and also I need help in mating up the correct reverse gear with the forward gear set. I cannot figure out from the parts book I have.
    I am in New England and my experience is only with Mercury's so I do not have a network of good OMC folks yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Cody

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you counted the number of teeth on forward and reverse? May have an aftermarket forward/pinion set that has slightly different ratio. Pinion height is forward to pinion and does not effect reverse. Also if it ate the gears chances of reverse being good is very slim. Pinion bearing bad I would also be concerned with drive shaft bearing surface. Any good OMC/BRP shop should be able to set gear height but I would also have them install the case alignment fixture to verify the housing is good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Racer!

The forward gear, 26 tooth, (435086F) and the pinion gear, 14 tooth, (350042) are new and a matched set. The reverse gear, 26 tooth (0630) Is from another unknown lower unit and has very little wear on it but the pressure angle of the gear does not match the pinion and it looks like an aftermarket gear. What part number reverse gear do I need?

Also, you say any good BRP shop. I am very gun-shy of any shop now. Do you know of anyone preferably in the northeast (but willing to ship it anywhere at this point) to get the case checked and the pinon set that you trust?

Thank you again!!