Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part 2 of, Stupid Resto Mod of 50s Finns.

I started a thread in the general section and got a lot of answers and now I hope the glass/hull tech guys help a bit here.
    So here goes' like it or not and I did say Stupid and believe me it is but I gotta do it. For some reason I have wanted to for many years and it might just turn out bad or it might be a cool little toy. Time will tell.

A few weeks ago I found and bought a 1959 Custom Craft not knowing exactly what it was but loved the look, while not being exactly what I had in mind it is what I finally found. With a lot of research I now know I have a kinda special piece.

When new it was rated for 75hp max but I plan on going a bit larger as in a 6in a row Merc 90 to 115. The transom and the floor coring needs to be replaced anyway so I will be adding stringers maybe a couple ribs and heavy transom upgrades along with converting it to a 2 seater speedster looking thing. I do understand the amount of work and have a lot of experience in the past with glass repair but much has changed through the years in the tec and materials used, there in lies my issues. I would like to use mostly new composites for this and need outlets to get the things I need and a lot of advice on what and or how to use it. Add to that the much needed advice on the mods I need to do or don't need to do.

So this is what I have and a quick drawing of what I hope to turn it into. The drawings are not that good but shows the idea. I am still working on the guts of it (drawings) stringers/transom/supports and such. Keeping in mind the added weight of the engine that sofar appears to be 85 to 100lbs more than the orig 75.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covered 030.jpg   engine off 003.jpg   large door 2 seat 002.jpg  
    So many projects so little time

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know if the bottom will work well as is or if I should modify it. The center (keel?) is not the greatest looking thing but the over all design for 1959,actually 57 is kinda neat the guy that built these got some U.S. patents on it. What is the thoughts here on what I should or shouldn't do? It sorta has a bit of a tunnel at the chines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7[1].jpg   covered 009.jpg   covered 005.jpg   covered 008.jpg  

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no no no don't change the bottom , its a really clever design !! Just you need to appreciate what it actually is and how it works !! and the bat wings are classic for that era !! its beautiful !! The motor height is the old 16 inch so would need to be changed and it will fly with a few more horses and a newer motor !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 01-01-2016 at 06:30 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

4. Thanks cosmic12 thanked for this post
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you modify the hulls shape in the bottom without understanding what and how now its supposed to work you could end up with instability at speed ! myself in recent times have used exactly the same ideas as what you have there now and it works really really well ! so id you tell me what it is and how it works !! Im interested to know what your thinking !!
    I will await you replys
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

6. Thanks cosmic12 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am concerned about that round keel thing in the middle and how soft and round the edges of the chines and that there really is no lift strakes at all. I know for sure I need to kinda blue print it and get the dents out from those dam rollers its been sitting on from day one. I understand what you are saying about not changing anything and I am researching on how they handled and rode from people that have restored them to get some idea before I do anything to the bottom. I have discovered a lot about the orig mfg of Custom Craft already but still looking. Pretty interesting stuff really for the time. Found out Merc used them for test platforms for a while because of the performance of them. They also made some interesting cats back then. As of now the only for sure change is adding more transom/srtingers and aft deck with opening doors like in the rendering. I am looking forward to any and all suggestions from the guys here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covered 024.jpg   P5310489[1].jpg   covered 006.jpg   large door 2 seat 003.jpg  
    Last edited by cosmic12; 01-01-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That thing in the middle as you call it is the cleverness of the boats design !!
    Like I said its what I been doing something similar with boats i have changed the bottoms on and introduces a similar shape to what you have !!
    That section is where the boat should ride on at speed !! while the 2 outer side sections are completely clear of the water !! Do you understand why ??
    Its to do with reducing water friction against the hull !!And in this case at speed it could also have a cushion of air under each side ! Modern day thinking is a flat pad down the middle and strakes each side !! this is the for runner of similar thinking !! I would picture these boats doing 45 to 55 mph and in the 50s and early 60s that would have been fast ! so added hp these days and that speed could be 70 to 80 mph and with shape and lift from the hull and deck specially if you cover the rear cockpit it could be airborne!!
    THOSE bat wing things are there not only for show but will help with stability from the air flow !!!!
    You should do a little study on aerodynamics and its association to shapes and specially with the effects of speed !! Have fun and restore what you have but also try to get your head around why it was such a sort after boats and as you mentioned what about the patented of ideas !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really cool boat.
    I would just restore the hull as is, don't mod it up.

1994 16' Murphy 1991 115 Merc
    1985 12' Charger 1989 70 Merc
    1981 18'DL Charger 1989 200EFI Merc

10. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strenghthen things up and put some decent power on it. Those ideas drawn with the closed in back half will look great. Sundeck hatch , clean wide vinyl two tone? What about set back on this one , 2-4" ?
    Last edited by FMP; 01-02-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys this is what I want to hear. I do understand a bit of hydrodynamics and aero. I am very familiar with the flat pad and the steps, those sections I don't want to change at all but the 1/2 round for lack of a better term keel that runs down the center about 3/4s of the way seems to me that it will be a drag on the bottom and might even cause it to roll or be very loose simply because of the shape. I am thinking that the plan for the aft section decking will add strength to the overall structure and cover/hide what needs to be added to it as far as stringers ribs and knee joints at the transom because there is nothing now and never has been. I am planning a much larger engine than was ever intended. As to that I am concerned about that added weight and wondering if it will even float or look like a 32 Fountian ready to go under anytime........... Keep it coming please!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home getting cleaned 019.jpg   engine off 003.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1/2 round drag? Maybe if it was sharp the cornering would have too much hold ? Most of that will be airborne when you are up and running.Hard to see it from the pics.
    Last edited by FMP; 01-02-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taling about the "strakes" that are on the sides of the boat, and wrap around to the transom for about a foot? Those won't affect anything for handling. They look like they're there just for splash guards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by home made tunnel View Post
    Taling about the "strakes" that are on the sides of the boat, and wrap around to the transom for about a foot? Those won't affect anything for handling. They look like they're there just for splash guards
    No not those I know they are nothing at all just splash rails at best. If you look at the pics in the 2nd post you will see that the edges are very soft even round and there are no lifting strakes at all just the center pad with round edges going over to a outer low speed pad with a very soft rounded reversed chine and a nasty little hook at the transom in each outer corner that tappers off to the center.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THat is a nasty hook, those splash guards will help a bit in a chop for lift as the hull rolls over wave crests and maybe bit as air gets under them at speeds not yet seen with that hull since you are powering up.
    Last edited by FMP; 01-03-2016 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So its time to start thinking about getting the materials for this project. I need to recore the floor, rebuild the transom put a couple stringers in along with knee board supports for the transom. What are the best materials to use and where to get them. I really want to use as little wood as possible. I am not a complete stranger to this but it has been 20 years or so since I have done any glass work and I know things have changed and there are many options to chose from. I have been looking at composites and hope to get some feed back on them from guys that use or have used them. Help? please?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did this project stall out?
    Just saw a boat on craigslist that looked similar to this one, but inboard.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/boa/5401332025.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast