Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel Bore 260 pistons

I have an old black motor ported to 260 specs. So it is a steel bore motor. My question is, which pistons do you all like? Vertex or WSM? Also, do I need to get the pistons machined so they match the ports? I know the exhaust port it quite a bit larger on the 260, so I figured the stock piston's would be blocking the exhaust and thus making the porting ineffective. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blocking the exhaust ports??? U need to look at it again! Wizard makes a good piston that's forged, but pricey. Vertex are good, but aren't forged. All depends on your application and rpm, and budget. I use vertex alot, but tend to limit the rpm to 7500, and to me the Pistons (vertex )become a change out part around 250 hours if u run them hard, or hi rpm, ido rather change them before they fail. Guys do run them at much higher rpm then that though. U might want to look at a piston in the bore and change your question, but yes I have trimmed the skirts in the mill
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too Im running vertex in my steel sleeve 260 with the exhaust port height of 1.49/1.50 and 148 comp, brucato, laser efi with 260 style fuel system, im not sure where you got such bogus info on the port stuff just dont let um werk on yer mota, i aint run the new WSMs with the 1.5mm ring but i will maybe on the next waste of money mota i do

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! Had a couple people tell me that the skirt on the high performance pistons was different from the stock pistons such as vertex. The concept somewhat made sense, but I figured someone might be trying to blow some smoke to make an extra buck. The engine that I have right now is a steel bore 260 that used to be a 175 back in the 90's. It's a 0.030 over motor running with vertex pistons and a CDI box with 260 injection. Would love to run your laser setup but don't have a brucato. Basically the story is that this thing doesn't pull even near as hard as an old stock promax we had and I was kinda looking for some answers and a few people tried to throw me the line about not running stock pistons. Have pulled that engine to 8,300 with a 24 yammi and a little over 7,000 with a 29 mazco. Still, it's running on an xb2002 and has yet to see 100. So now I'm fiddling with setup and making guesses as to what could be limiting power on the motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another theory I heard was that the below the liner area on a stock motor (my 175 turned 260) is nothing like the high performance stuff like a real 260. Can anyone confirm this? It wouldn't surprise me but I don't know enough about them. The CDI box (a48 no limiter) that I have was ran on a stock 260 for years before she blew. When I put it on this motor I had to lean it out quite a bit, could that be from the loss of air flow in a production motor? (Less air=less fuel=less power). Call me out if I'm thinking about this all wrong! The steel bore runs and idles great, just seems like it's missing some ponies up top.