Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt View Post
    does the seastar helm and the marine machine Ram work well?
    Works great, but u must use an external reservoir if using a single ram, as there isn't enough fluid capacity in the helm. There is a hex plug in the top backside of the helm that ties into the fluid reservoir. I think I added 10 Oz of capacity and it works fine. Use a seastar dash mount fill kit, tied into the external reservoir, and replace the vented cap on top of the helm with non vented cap. The vented cap is now on your remote fill. Boat has gone 112 with this setup with no drift.incidentally I run a 2.4 helm
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

2. Thanks Tango thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    Works great, but u must use an external reservoir if using a single ram, as there isn't enough fluid capacity in the helm. There is a hex plug in the top backside of the helm that ties into the fluid reservoir. I think I added 10 Oz of capacity and it works fine. Use a seastar dash mount fill kit, tied into the external reservoir, and replace the vented cap on top of the helm with non vented cap. The vented cap is now on your remote fill. Boat has gone 112 with this setup with no drift.incidentally I run a 2.4 helm
    interesting info whos reservoir? I see hardin marine has one pretty pricy though
    21 Tuff, Mercury 300X

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I welded one together out of 3" aluminum tubing and welded the ends closed, drilled and tapped both ends for fill and supply.
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21 Tuff, Mercury 300X

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I welded one together out of 3" aluminum tubing and welded the ends closed, drilled and tapped both ends for fill and supply.
    very cool thank you how many oz's does it hold?
    21 Tuff, Mercury 300X

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had someone pm me about the difference between a balanced and unbalanced ram. A regular seastar ram is balanced, the piston rod sticks through either end of the cylinder, when it goes from end to end the fluid on one side can travel to the other, the fluid volumes are balanced. In an unbalanced (marine machine, Latham, etc ), the piston rod doesn't travel out both ends of the ram, so the fluid volumes aren't balanced on either side of the piston, because of the space the piston rod takes up in the housing. That's why more fluid is required to turn the boat from 1 direction to the other, and the stock helm doesn't really hold enough volume of fluid to work with this system without adding a remote reservoir. Also this is why a pro helm will not work in an unbalanced system because of the valving. I heard capillano helm mentioned, I had one in the boat in the beginning, it was way heavier, bigger and I felt it turned too fast, especially at low speed. If I remember correctly 10 Oz the remote reservoir holds

8. Thanks moby27 thanked for this post
    Likes moby27 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what I see is the pro helm 1500 psi and seastar 2.4 is 1000psi
    21 Tuff, Mercury 300X

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had someone pm me about the difference between a balanced and unbalanced ram. A regular seastar ram is balanced, the piston rod sticks through either end of the cylinder, when it goes from end to end the fluid on one side can travel to the other, the fluid volumes are balanced. In an unbalanced (marine machine, Latham, etc ), the piston rod doesn't travel out both ends of the ram, so the fluid volumes aren't balanced on either side of the piston, because of the space the piston rod takes up in the housing. That's why more fluid is required to turn the boat from 1 direction to the other, and the stock helm doesn't really hold enough volume of fluid to work with this system without adding a remote reservoir. Also this is why a pro helm will not work in an unbalanced system because of the valving. I heard capillano helm mentioned, I had one in the boat in the beginning, it was way heavier, bigger and I felt it turned too fast, especially at low speed. If I remember correctly 10 Oz the remote reservoir holds
    I never used seastar stuff I always used Capilano helms, so Im trying to use what I have, Im changing the Seastar ram that I just bought HC6345 to Marine Machine but there is a pro helm in the boat I just thought because its 1500psi it would do the trick
    21 Tuff, Mercury 300X

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the valving in it won't work with an unbalanced ram, it will lock up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the valving in it won't work with an unbalanced ram, it will lock up
    ok here we go a new helm based on some great info you provided
    21 Tuff, Mercury 300X

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have run a seastar non pro 2.4 helm with marine machine ram with no reservoir and no problems on both my challenger and my superboat. Have never had air in the system since we power bled it upon install. JMO

However some rams like latham and possibly a different MM ram have a little more volume and may need the reservoir. Last stv we set up did and we made the reservoir out of pvc pipe.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of this info is GREAT!!! Thanks to everyone for the posting here. A lot of questions are being answered and in the name of safety as well!!

I now understand why turning the wheel one way causes fluid to come out of the helm filling cap and when it does... it then leaves me with skips going in the opposite direction. I will take one of the many Aluminum KRU82 Vodka bottles I have and make it into an overflow reservoir.

Just so I am clear on this... am I tapping into the rear of the helm as the feed from the overflow reservoir or am I simply taking a line from the fill port on the top of the helm and making that the expansion to the remote bottle, keeping the bottle as the fill chamber now?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bottom of your external reservoir attaches to plug on backside of helm, top of your remote reservoir is the new fill/vent. Make sure to try and mount reservoir higher than helm. Also, vented fill screw in top of helm gets replaced with non vented cap. If u buy the teleflex deck fill kit it comes with non vented plug. On my system I made my own wing plate, absolutely ridiculous what they cost to buy and used thru bulkhead fittings to get thru the top of the transom, and made up my own hoses, I think the hoses Carry a 3500 or 4000 psi rating, used reusable ends, but system is only 1000 psi.
    Last edited by mrcrsr; 10-28-2015 at 12:52 PM.

16. Thanks Tango thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bottom of your external reservoir attaches to plug on backside of helm, top of your remote reservoir is the new fill/vent. Make sure to try and mount reservoir higher than helm. Also, vented fill screw in top of helm gets replaced with non vented cap. If u buy the teleflex deck fill kit it comes with non vented plug. On my system I made my own wing plate, absolutely ridiculous what they cost to buy and used thru bulkhead fittings to get thru the top of the transom, and made up my own hoses, I think the hoses Carry a 3500 or 4000 psi rating, used reusable ends, but system is only 1000 psi.
    My quick find reached out to the Wilwood catalog to find something like the remotes used for our Brake MCs.

This might work very well... I just have to get it higher than the Helm and on a Daytona, that will be the challenge.

This one is $64.74 and 7 ounces.

But I like this one better... I think I will order this one!!

Costs only $107.94 and holds 4 ounces. If I run the hose from the helm and mount this remotely I can pick up a few ounces in the rigging.
    Here is the link PDF for the details:
    http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds974.pdf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not sure BUT, the oil that leaves the helm in one direction, comes right back the other way from the other hose and vice versa. So If you have a system with dual cylinders or whatever, there should not be a need of an external cylinder as the oil leaving comes back the other way.
    Glastron GT 150 W OMC 140
    Glastron GT150 w OMC 235
    Hydrostream Vision with 2.0l 135
    Hydrostream HST w 3.0L 225

I know two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human's Stupidity, although I am not sure about the first one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast