Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad experience with "Inkedforlife" 21 Liberator twin 280s

I am going to try to make a real long story short... If anyone knows this member or lives in the San Diego area please let me know.

I purchased a 2005 Liberator 21 with twin 280s from Steve Bury aka "Inkedforlife" back in late June. The boat was delivered from San Diego to York, Pa on Sunday July, 5th. Included in the sale per the sales ad listed on the site was the boat, motors, a set of 34 cleavers, a set of 30 cleavers, remaining oil he had, and a mercury flusher. Upon inspection of everything sent with the boat it was discovered that the Mercury flusher and the set of 30 cleavers was missing. The seller was contacted immediately and he said "When I pulled the set of 30s out they were "nicked up" and I sent them to a prop shop. And I must have forgot to put the flusher in the boat." So, I figured no problem he will get them to me. The sales ad stated the motors had 120 hours of run time and were in great shape.

In regard to the motors that were supposedly verified by a good Mercury tech in the area to be in "excellent condition"... they both had more run time on than was stated. They were not only not in excellent condition but they needed to be replated, new rings, bearings, gaskets, and 3 new Merc pistons to even make them runable. The Merc tech that worked on these motors said he was going to send all documentation and test results regarding the motors... still do not have any of that to back up his statements on the phone when I spoke with him. The seller did not want to take any responsibility for what the Merc tech said, which I felt was a red flag. The motors will be finished in the next week or so and HOPEFULLY I finally get a chance to run the boat after 2 months. After talking with the seller regarding the motors and what kind of shape they were in he did agree to send a minimal amount of money to try to make things "right."

The icing on the cake though is nearly 2 months after the boat being delivered, I still do not have the flusher or the other set of props. In the meantime the props apparently are not cleavers anymore... I have asked for pictures and tracking numbers for these many times over the last 2 months, and it continues to be nothing but excuses. The seller stated he was picking the props up from the prop shop on July 31st. He said on August 3rd that he was sending the flusher and the props when he gets back in to town. On August 17th he said he was out of town again until that Saturday and when he got back the stuff would be shipped. I then contacted him on Saturday and he said he would get the props are flusher out first thing on the week of the 24th. I then contacted him on the 26th after not hearing anything and didn't hear anything until Thursday the 27th when he said he would have pictures of the props and the tracking numbers for shipping. I did not get the information on Friday and have tried to contact him since not receiving the information, and it seems he has "fallen off the face of the earth."

There are two main reasons for my post... I simply want to inform anyone else on the board of my experience in dealing with this member. I also would like any recommendations from anyone on getting what I paid for and what I was told I was going to get, or to find out if anyone lives near this member? Thanks for reading the long post.
    Last edited by MStine06; 08-30-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went through the same deal with a fewcparts for my old peterbilt. Its not right that some people dont play on the same level fiel as others

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats to world of dishonest sellers ,sorry to read what your going thru ,I bought a 23 Daytona in 2002 with twin 245 that owner said were perfect and were inspected by marina and given clean bill of health ,all before I knew what a leakdown tester was ,anyway we gave 28k and headed home that Saturday we loaded up the family and went out in our new ride all went good ,next Saturday all seemed ok but motors were little groggy then kept shutting off coming off plane so we decided to call it a day and take her home ,upon further inspection the motors were past ring life leakdowns were 12/15/20 % wtf I almost drove back to pound seller to bits but may wife said why sit in jail ,so we spent next 2 months getting motors fixed, all the seller said is they ran great when they left my hands and I don't know how you drive what a ash hole ,if I was to ever buy another boat far away I would fly out and see for myself about the boat that way you will see first hand if seller is on the up or not there are lots of good guys selling boats but I don't believe they are all 100 % honest imb just bought set of props 14 1/2 x 26 choppers that were cut into et's seller said the right perfect the left has a small ding In each blade I saw the pics ,when I received them there was a 2 inch and a 3/4 inch crack in the blades unrepairable and I told seller how I felt and never replied and I did not disclose who he was because I sold the good prop for what I paid for the two ..I think some kind of claim in the courts against the seller should be in order in your case and I wish I did the same we as buyers have to beware today more than ever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to hear about this for a guy that is straight up, Matt you need to be patient you will get a message or somthing to get more info on him and where he lives and get you a plane ticket and go pay him a visit with local legal help...BTW a pic would be nice

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it may have been worth the time and travel to inspect said boat in person rather than by long distance. wildman sells these boats often , and dose so without problem...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gary,

Hope things are going well for you. I saw you got your triad back.

Yes, I wish this deal had gone differently, but there just seem to be a lot of people you can't trust anymore. I have seen threads where other guys have gotten stung pretty bad, and I guess it was my turn.

Lee has the boat now and will be finishing the motors up shortly. I really have to give him the credit he deserves. He worked me in to his extremely busy schedule, but there is not anyone else I would use because I know they will be done right.

Here is a picture or two...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_08951.jpg   IMG_88971.jpg   IMG_47601.jpg   20150705_135140.jpg  
    Last edited by MStine06; 08-30-2015 at 09:26 PM.

7. Likes NAVISPEED1 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    libs don't have side panels just side storage ,nice looking ride she is going to be a rocket when fixed .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have to tell you, of all of the bad stories I have read on these forums, yours seems to have come out pretty well in comparison. Regarding the motors, it seems that you and the seller have come to a financial agreement. It sounds like you are not happy, but I would suspect that he is not either. And you bought the boat, uninspected and across the country, without first receiving paperwork proving a rebuild that you were expecting. Isn't this a clue? How about "I will give you $1,000, and the rest when you get me those papers?"

So, if we accept that you agreed to the money on the motors, you are short a flusher and 2 props. That's not right, he should man up and stop stalling and tell you the truth, but from the amount of money I suspect you paid on this blind transaction, that isn't too bad. You aren't writing saying he hasn't shipped the boat yet, the hull is delaminating, or the motors are seized, like others have had happen to them.

It is dishonest dealing by him, and should be treated as such, but could have been way worse.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cant imagine not paying a few hundred bucks to a surveyor or at least asking a member nearby to take a look for you before making a long distance purchase.
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in San Diego. gimme his info and I'll pay em a visit- with any luck i'll have ur stuff to send u when i leave
    "We're here cuz we're not all there!"

12. Likes Tom Foley, catfish123, Smoking Joe liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM sent to MegaBaron
    Last edited by catfish123; 08-31-2015 at 04:40 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya bhddy
    "We're here cuz we're not all there!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post was made in attempt to make everyone else on the board aware of how this deal went in general. The motors are the motors... I am having them fixed. That was simply included in the post because there was dishonesty there as well.

As far as the flusher and props go... I really do not care if I would be out $10... the guy has still not sent stuff that was paid for almost 2 months ago. I will "eat" the repair bill of the motors. But I feel the least he could do is send what was paid for.

Pm being sent to MegaBaron. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by MStine06; 08-31-2015 at 05:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MStine06 View Post
    This post was made in attempt to make everyone else on the board aware of how this deal went in general. The motors are the motors... I am having them fixed. That was simply included in the post because there was dishonesty there as well.

As far as the flusher and props go... I really do not care if I would be out $10... the guy has still not sent stuff that was paid for almost 2 months ago. I will "eat" the repair bill of the motors. But I feel the least he could do is send what was paid for.

Pm being sent to MegaBaron. I appreciate it.
    When all is said and done, and you sit your A** in that seat for the first time
    and hit the Throttles. Trust Me,,,, ALLLLL will Be forgotten..............LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MStine06 View Post
    Lee has the boat now and will be finishing the motors up shortly. I really have to give him the credit he deserves. He worked me in to his extremely busy schedule, but there is not anyone else I would use because I know they will be done right.
    Sorry to hear about your dealings, but good news is, if "Lee" is Lee Sanderson, you can be assured it will be done right.
    2006 Spectre 24' SCS
    2020 Mercury 300 ProXS

2001 Allison XB2003
    2006 Mercury 250XS

1988 22' Velocity (sold)

1995 Allison Grand Sport (sold)
    1998 Mercury Stock 2.5-260 SS

1990 Velocity 30' - 502's (sold)

Go Daddy Go! Racing

18. Thanks props4u2 thanked for this post
    Likes props4u2 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast