Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey bill659, nice to see another YT owner on here. They are definitely a different breed of hydrostream. If you ever have any questions on rigging or setup feel free to ask away. This thread became quite the YT build page.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words, it all takes time - a - lot of time and a heated garage helps. You will get there!!

I have it back on the trailer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	408.6 KB 
ID:	338030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	338031

1987 V-King YT 200 Evinrude Vindicator
    1998 16' Weers HPT Pontoon 60 Evinrude 36 MPH

3. Likes D.ONEAL liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	0306161626a.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	427.8 KB 
ID:	338875

Name:	0308161727.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	448.2 KB 
ID:	338874
    finally up finished the stringers and seat boxes, just waiting on the weather now...... I put a coat of resin on the sponson ribs, so far it's not drying as fast as I'd like, so it looks like I'll be twiddling my thumbs a Little longer.....
    Last edited by Erik C; 03-09-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Eric, the weather should be turning soon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i know im a little late in the game here, but has anyone ever split the deck from the hull on a YT? or have you got any tips on doing it on a V-king in general... is it worth it? im thinking about doing it just to really clean up the hull on this thing... the reason is I am not putting a floor back in it, this will be a stringer boat. im having a heck of a time reaching all the way up into the bow without filling my eyes and lungs with dust no matter how much I seal my self up, plus I cant fit all the way up there even though im a skinny guy. I want the hull cleaned to bare glass 100% if I can, so I can put a fresh layer down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would not recommend removal of the top cap,It cannot be done without at least some major damage,or most likely total destruction of the rub rail.After that the hull can be split quite well,with a saws all, right up till you get to the motor well.Then you will find that the cap is 100% bonded to the transom where you cant get to it.Then your into cutting the splash well,another big repair.Try putting a window box fan on the floor under one side of the dash blowing out,and try to gut it out.Good luck!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot outasite... That's exactly what I needed to hear. I won't even think about it after hearing that. I'll give the fans a try. It's the actual motor inside the grinder that is stirring up all the Dust. It's like a little blower inside that small space. Hopefully the fan will pull some out. Thanks again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to add something to this thread.... I have been browsing around and people are buying and selling these old hydrostreams all the time. most of the ones I read all say the boat is mint, all original, stored indoors, no need to check the core the boat was always dry!!.... this is absolutely crazy. these boats are 30 years old.... my boat had been garaged its whole life by its previous owner and I personally did the same, I never even kept it in the water more than a day. my core was absolutely rotted to hell (just look back at the beginning of this thread) I am sorry I even ran my boat like this. I basically had a Oreo cookie for a boat. 2 skins with soft goo in the middle. we are all building these boats to go out and have fun, so please don't be fooled by keeping your 30 year old boat dry...... it needs a core!!! plus Hydrostream did some strange stuff depending on what day of the week it was when they built some of these boats. do your self the favor.

10. Thanks PaulR thanked for this post
    Likes Hippie459MN liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik C View Post
    I just want to add something to this thread.... I have been browsing around and people are buying and selling these old hydrostreams all the time. most of the ones I read all say the boat is mint, all original, stored indoors, no need to check the core the boat was always dry!!.... this is absolutely crazy. these boats are 30 years old.... my boat had been garaged its whole life by its previous owner and I personally did the same, I never even kept it in the water more than a day. my core was absolutely rotted to hell (just look back at the beginning of this thread) I am sorry I even ran my boat like this. I basically had a Oreo cookie for a boat. 2 skins with soft goo in the middle. we are all building these boats to go out and have fun, so please don't be fooled by keeping your 30 year old boat dry...... it needs a core!!! plus Hydrostream did some strange stuff depending on what day of the week it was when they built some of these boats. do your self the favor.
    Eric, You are absolutely correct on cores, I bought mine brand new and it was always kept in the garage or covered when it was out, I always wondered how good it was?? Well it wasn't!! It all depended on what day of the week and how the guy felt that day what the core ended up, some were good and most of them were bad!! But its just my opinion??

Bob

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Finally have it done, now we need some warmer weather so I can get it in the water.

Name:	IMG_0911.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	400.7 KB 
ID:	342461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	342462

13. Thanks ProComp thanked for this post
    Likes D.ONEAL liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the boat looks awesome bob, no better feeling than finishing up a project like that. I cant wait to hear how it runs all stiffened up with the new core and stringers. speaking of cores, I ended up finding a small crack near my drain plug the other day when I was grinding out the old glass for a new pc of wood. where the planking stops there was 1" of balsa up to the drain plug. of course the balsa was gone, which probably caused the small crack. I fixed all that ... I am sure the planking is all that saved my hull in the first place, without it my hull would have flexed like crazy with that soft core. I really wish I could find out more about where that wood planking came from? it was done well but I cant see Hydrostream doing it. I wonder if this boat ever had problems and had to get sent back and this was there way of making a bullet proof pad?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boats are looking great fella's.
    Thinking back to my rebuild I had the same type thing as Brian did with the pad. It seemed to be solid layers of fiberglass built up about an inch or so thick, probably 4-5 ft long. I don't think there was any wood planking in it though. It didn't go all the way back to the transom either, I had the small
    void by the drain plug with the rotted plywood and a small section of balsa. I know
    i read somewhere Hydrostream was doing "repairs" to the pads of these YTs because they were
    failing. I wonder if yours was one of these "repaired" boats? Maybe the solid fiberglass pad in ours was there fix after the fact.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks' guys, I am glad that I have everything back together, can't wait to get it in the water!!

I had mine back to the factory for some gel work rite after I bought it and they also replaced some of the core, they started about 10" from the back and went up about 4 feet with balsa on the center pad because of that period of time when a guy worked there and left air pockets around the balsa causing the soft pads, that was the only part of the core that was solid.

Bob

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Bob, its nice hearing from someone who bought their boat new. you too Noots, you and Brian both had that thick fiberglass pad built up in yours? I guess mine will always be the mystery. Either way, its almost done and I cant wait to finish glassing so I can get this thing all rigged up. ill take some updated pics when its farther along

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	0505161715a.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	431.3 KB 
ID:	343248
    Has anyone here used Hull & Deck Putty to bond balsa core to the hull. I was going to just wet it out with resin but for $45 a gallon I'd like to use this for more than fillets. I was told to use this to bond the core. Any tips on laying it down.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast