Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. Well my .02 is that you do NOT want a dead flat pad in your application and with all that weight. I very slight V is fine. !0" wide is certainly not narrow now that I understand you do not have a transom notch. Did you take a straight edge to the front to back running surfaces while it was upside down? Is the pad that you already have flat and true for at least the last 6' of the keel or can you see air in any spots? Based on what I'm seeing and hearing so far, I would first be thinking of different prop options. A Mercury Rev4 comes to mind as a baseline test prop. What motor, setback and speeds are you seeing currently?

2. Likes Smoking Joe liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmDaddy View Post
    That is my current hull, a 1977 Cobra Phantom and it is 17' in length. The pad is 10" wide at the drain plug. The vee on my pad is like 'B' in my illustration, very shallow vee but definitely not flat. The edges are a little rounded off, especially noticeable on the back edge of the pad.The entire package fully tournament loaded with 19gals fuel weighs in right at 1650-1700 lbs. I know it's heavy compared to what everyone else is using but compared to newer bass boats fully loaded I think I am doing ok.
    what power does it have and what speed are you currently seeing?
    Last edited by Jimboat; 08-14-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimboat knows more about this stuff than probably anyone on this board. Listen to him.

5. Thanks Jimboat thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    Gotcha. Well my .02 is that you do NOT want a dead flat pad in your application and with all that weight. I very slight V is fine. !0" wide is certainly not narrow now that I understand you do not have a transom notch. Did you take a straight edge to the front to back running surfaces while it was upside down? Is the pad that you already have flat and true for at least the last 6' of the keel or can you see air in any spots? Based on what I'm seeing and hearing so far, I would first be thinking of different prop options. A Mercury Rev4 comes to mind as a baseline test prop. What motor, setback and speeds are you seeing currently?

I did take a 6' level to the pad while it was on the trailer and again while it was upside down on the rolling cart while I cleaned and prepped for paint...straight as an arrow, no hook or bow.

I have tried a few props but still getting seat time before I really try to get the last mph out of it. I have some health issues holding me up and limiting my time on the water this year which leaves me lots of time to sit and think 'what if'. I have a 6" CNC hyd jack plate on it now. It has been 78, with LOTS of trim and some hidden/lost hp. Since then I made quite a few changes and the engine is a LOT stronger now.

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimboat View Post
    what power does it have and what speed are you currently seeing?

Jim, I have a Mercury 2.5 200. It has had the blocked decked just enough to square up and make a nice sealing surface, block has been deburred and stuffed as much as possible, Chris Carson 5 petal reeds and 1" carb spacer, porting was cleaned up and adjusted to promax specs, I changed the carbs to a set of mid 2000 WMV-18s.

I am a little new to driving a boat these speeds, I have personally gotten 68.8. A fellow member on here ,SSTom, lives close to me and he drove the boat for me to see what this old girl acted like with this power on it and he was very impressed (his words). He got 78 out of it but the boat was flat as a level and the engine still tucked under a little. We ran out of good water due to pontoon boaters and he wanted to make a few changes before hammering down hard. When he came back to the dock he said it had lots of trim and a bit of throttle left. He said he believes it has some high 80's eassy...maybe some 90's.

Thank you and Greg for the continued interest. I love learning, not only what works but WHY it works and when things don't work...why they don't work.

Slimm

8. Likes texasvector liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra-78mph-flat.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	436.3 KB 
ID:	325547

I was standing on the bank with a GoPro recording Tom make a pass in my boat. I didn't have the ability to open a video file and take a still image so I used my camera to take a picture of the paused video.
    This image is when he passed me at 78mph. I don't know why the system rotated the image when I uploaded it...I'll try to find the video and get a genuine still image.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any picture helps, even bad ones. If the boat was going 75-78mph in that photo it tells a story. It's running a bit nose heavy. I laid my screen protractor over your image to show how flat she is running. Jim might see this and correct me but I threw 3.25 degree attack angle over the top and your are less. The motor looks lime it's up high and the rooster looks low. I would really stop everything and test, test ,test some different props. I'm going to guess that you are running the prop shaft of your motor dead even with the pad from the looks of the rooster. A few props that come to mind are the Powertech OFX4 4 blade, and the Solas Scorpion 3 blade. If the prop shaft is below the pad/keel I would add the Merc Revolution 4 to the list.

What specific model prop are you running today to clock 78mph?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AttackAngle.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if that was my boat i would add a strake 7.5 inches off the center line if the prop and run them up 50 65 "

https://www.facebook.com/scott.steffe

Replacement Fiberglass Windshields For just about every hydrostream
    Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

call 941-575-8914 with any questions

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    Custom Fiberglass and Paint
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't that give it stern lift? Whatever happened to that Stream you modded Scott?

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Wouldn't that give it stern lift? Whatever happened to that Stream you modded Scott?
    she became one of the fastest streams on this board and at115 ish mph faster then any vking has gone to date
    but i think a new boat came out and did 117 either way fast as blank

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At that time it had a untouched 28p chopper. I had that prop worked by Steve Smith and it is currently on the boat. I haven't had time this year to do any testing or cruising. I have a 24p 4blade Mach I want to have rehubbed and cut but finances aren't there for that right now. I also have a 26p chopper that was reworked by Tim Hackney at Performance Propeller but, again I haven't had the boat out to test. Right after this video was done I changed the tuner and a few other things to pep it up. The engine is on a 20" mid so that might add to the appearance of it being really high.

While speaking with Tim Hackney he said he remembers these Cobra boats and told me they like the same setups as a Bullet or Allison XB.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmDaddy View Post
    At that time it had a untouched 28p chopper. I had that prop worked by Steve Smith and it is currently on the boat. I haven't had time this year to do any testing or cruising. I have a 24p 4blade Mach I want to have rehubbed and cut but finances aren't there for that right now. I also have a 26p chopper that was reworked by Tim Hackney at Performance Propeller but, again I haven't had the boat out to test. Right after this video was done I changed the tuner and a few other things to pep it up. The engine is on a 20" mid so that might add to the appearance of it being really high.

While speaking with Tim Hackney he said he remembers these Cobra boats and told me they like the same setups as a Bullet or Allison XB.

Slimm
    That being said you should look at the bullet pad if you want to modify. Your hull doesnt look too far off and i think a bullet pad would be easier to do to your pad than an ally pad.
    1984 17vee Bullet w/1985 Johnson 150gt (bob's nose cone, hydrodynamics custom 8in. jackplate, custom skid plate and foil, and 26p trophy plus) currently 70mph tournament loaded.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#330066
    if that was my boat i would add a strake 7.5 inches off the center line if the prop and run them up 50 65 "
    [/COLOR]afr;2780806]

If I put strakes 7.5" off center, that would put the thin part of the strake fairly close to the edge of my pad since the pad is 10 wide. Would you alter the dimensions of mine a little since my pad is wider than Mikes Vking? Do you have some specific dimensions for the strakes you suggest? I assume the strake should be parallel to ground or should each strake have the same angle as the pad on that side of the centerline?

Slimm

18. Likes olboatman liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2