Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mini jump box

So I have been having some trouble with my cranking battery going dead this year. It is just a little over a year old. Bought it from Napa. I can put the charger on it the day before I go out and it will charge until shows full then goes into maintenance mode. Take the boat out and hit the water at 4:30-5am the next morning and can barely get it to crank. I am wise enough to have always kept some jumper cables in the boat so I just jump it off the trolling battery and hit the water.

My battery charger $h!t the bed a couple weeks ago si I thought the problem was solved with a new charger, thought being the operative word. Once the engine fires it always charges 13-14v idling and 14+ running down the water so I figure bad battery or something 'leeching' juice while sitting in the garage. I have seen the XP-1 and XP-10 units that are kinda pricey but seem to be really nice. I have talked about buying one in the future but not real hard on it yet due to keeping my cables in the boat.

Angie went to Sam's Club this afternoon and brought me a new toy to try. Looks pretty well built and seems to have decent reviews so far. Planning on heading out in the morning so I don't think I will even charge the battery tonight...whatcha think? Anyone else using something like this?

​Slimm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150529_161707.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	320520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150529_161701.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	320521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150529_161034.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	320522
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one very similar other than mine has a rubberized cas around it. My battery is shot on my lawn mower and that thing will start it 12-15 times without getting weak. Also starts our 6.0 V8 work truck motors without hesitation. Over all I am very impressed with it but not sure I would rely on it solely on the water haha!
    Can't Never Could Till It Tried

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duckrazee View Post
    I got one very similar other than mine has a rubberized cas around it. My battery is shot on my lawn mower and that thing will start it 12-15 times without getting weak. Also starts our 6.0 V8 work truck motors without hesitation. Over all I am very impressed with it but not sure I would rely on it solely on the water haha!
    This one has a rubberized/non-slip type grip as well. I think it was around $50 and if it performs well a couple times per charge then I'll be happy. My jumper cables don't much room at all so I won't take them out of the boat regardless. At least I have the trolling motor, that's a good thing about a hot rod bass boat versus a hot rod boat minus the bass. Hehe

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha I hear that!! for the size and price, I think everybody should have one on the water. I damn near sank last year on the river thanks to a dead battery and cruiser wakes coming over the back of the boat. Thank goodness someone close by had one of the bigger bulkier boxes and I jumped it off. Never again will I go out without one.
    Can't Never Could Till It Tried

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Im a dealer for the MicroStarts. They are more expensive but you get that back in accessories. The XP10 is a beast and will spin over a diesel with ease. I have the cheapest price I am allowed to advertise plus I threw in free shipping.
    Regardless of which/who you buy from they are awesome little units to keep in the boat and the ones I sell come with ever adapter you could need to power anything from your cell phone, laptop, etc.

http://shop.coolwaterproducts.com/Mi...mp-Box_c76.htm
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jumping my V4 with 160 psi vs a "big" jump box.

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Chris,

Can you bring one of them to the Palatka run and I will pay you there. I assume that the more expensive of the two is the better.

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the Matco Versapro over the winter http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...-POWER-SUPPLY/. I'm a Ford diesel tech, bought the biggest one knowing it likely won't start a dead diesel, but I just had to try. I'm super impressed with it. Although it failed to start a dead 6.0 at 25 below (as I figured), it was able to start about 20 vehicles before it needed recharging, and was able to start a nearly dead 6.4 at about 15 degrees. (I'm from Canada eh, so that's celcius lol) Really liking this thing, it fits in my pocket, I even use it to power uv lights for a/c leak detection, or if I just need to supply power to a circuit for load testing. Very handy, I'll be taking it home with me for any boating.....

Edit:----- Just clicked the link for Demeanor's XP-10. Same unit, different packaging. I can say from experience, saying it WILL start a diesel is a stretch. I mean, c'mon, it's only equipped with 12g wire for boosting.... But it is a great unit!
    Last edited by idvette; 05-31-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody tried the one that Walmart sells for around $50.00? I was thinking of picking one up to use around the house for my 4 wheeler and smaller motors.

Ralph Musser
    27' Fountain Fever W/ 525SC
    22' Rapid Craft W/ Evinrude 300 V8 January 2009 BOAT OF THE MONTH SOLD
    24' Triton 240 Gold W/ Mercury 60
    14' Royalcraft W/ Evinrude 75 father/daughter project

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverratt View Post
    Has anybody tried the one that Walmart sells for around $50.00? I was thinking of picking one up to use around the house for my 4 wheeler and smaller motors.
    The one I have came from Sams's Club. I think they own Walmart or something...might be the same unit. I did see a notice of recall on a couple at Walmart due to risk of explosion...didn't recognize the name. I'll check mine soon and hopefully have some useful info.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some big ci blower engines that have cranked pretty slowly 50 miles from home so decided to pick one of these things up to add to the boat bag.

I just ordered a larger one off Amazon, hopefully it does the trick in a pinch. After reading Idvette's post above regarding the diesels, I almost wonder if I should have ordered two of them as I would think two clamped on there would certainly do the trick. Let's hope one will do... Looking forward to receiving it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The XP10 is a beast and worth the extra coin IMO. Its a serious piece of equipment.

No problems starting a big oil burner.

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying it won't start a diesel, because I have done it. But don't expect it to work as in the video with 2 totally dead batteries, or at sub zero temperatures, that's just asking too much from it. Blower motors in a boat? I'm assuming the ambient temperature is well above freezing lol.... The video did show my only peeve with it, the clamps are fiddly and small. Other than that this thing is cool. Surprised all the guys in the shop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have one and it is amazing
    21 SuperBoat VF200 Yamaha SHO
    Bender Clan memberEroshibend Yamamoto
    2015 King of the Cut
    2016 King of the Cut
    2017 King of the Cut💪

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of you tried one on a motor without having a battery in the system? Right to the motor? Some batteries do fail "open" as in the diesel video he did comment wait 10 seconds so obviously there is a bit of a storage or charge going on.
    Love the size!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast