Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury 2.5 cowling modification question

I just acquired a front cowl cover like the one in the picture. I am going to put this onto my 2.5 cowling that came factory all smooth, no high performance just a plain ole fishing motor.
    I am curious if spacing this cover away from the cowling will allow more air to enter the carbs and if so, how much space. I have some 1/2" and some 1" spacer that would fit perfectly, just curious if the extra space would benefit me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	319899

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spaced my horn motors about a 1/4" more than stock, not sure it helped. The fishing motor covers take the air from the upper rear vents. There were a few motors that had loovers on the ft. My guess would be 1/2" is lots.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    I spaced my horn motors about a 1/4" more than stock, not sure it helped. The fishing motor covers take the air from the upper rear vents. There were a few motors that had loovers on the ft. My guess would be 1/2" is lots.

Dave
    Thanks for the info Dave. When I painted my cowling, I removed that top cover over the rear air intake and cut out the intake slots in the cowling as much as I could and then I took a small grinder/sander and I opened each of the slots that look like shark gills on the little cover so the air would flow into the back as well as it could.
    In my mind it seams as though this would kinda force air into the slots and down the big holes in the cowling but the air still seems to have a lot of thin slots to go through, once it's in the cowling it still has to make its way to the front where the carbs are. Now those carbs are sucking that incoming air pretty hard so any help getting that air from the rear of the cowl to the front has to help.
    I think the front cover addition will definitely put the air where it needs to be, in front of the carbs where they can take it in fresh from outside rather than having that air come in little slots at the rear where it moves forward over the block and wiring where it soaks up heat.

If my thoughts are wrong then I guess I can block it off and at least enjoy the look. Hehe.

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey don't know sh!t but was my understanding Merc spent alot of time on air flow to the intake as well as loosing heat. Sorry don't have a good answer for ya bro.
    Just a dumb azz Red Neck.lol

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"