Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fairing tools for my project

well up till now i have been using just plywood with sandpaper since i havent done any repairs that will be on the outside of my Vking. But already 60 in MN this week so early start to try and get it done!!! haha, we will see!!! But what are some of the tools that everyone is using that you would suggest for me to get. will flip the boat for bottom repairs and filling and all that fun stuff and then gel over the bottom. Also glassing over the splashwell so i would like to hear what everyone is using. What would you go out and buy again because it worked well? palm sanders, orbital sanders, DA sanders? obiously i will be getting some fairing boards. Was thining some maual and air tools will be in order. Thanks!
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im using a lot of the DA sander. Go to Harbor Freight and buy that 50 count roll of the ruffest grit you can. You will go them it pretty quickly because of clogging them up. And maybee a STRAIT sander but dont buy their strait paper it rips easly at the ends where it folds back over. And grab a handfull of them cheep paint brushes for 50 cents each to use for your resin and such.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the 30" 3m Boards , both the flexible and Rigid . Also a 16" air board with hookit paper. Couple of Dynabrade Vaccuum ready DA's , one with the 5\16 Orbit for roughing , and a 3\16
    orbit for the normal . They also make a 3\32 for wet and dry sanding with high grit numbers that prevents pigtails . Get yourself a full face shield respirator , and plenty of Tyvek Suits

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys, got all the safety gear already from the recore and transome replacement, just never done any finish on the rebuild yet. Should be fun!
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02