User Tag List

Page 6 of 94 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 56 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 400R news

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another big factor is props a certain rpm's. One prop type might be great at 6000rpm (engine speed obviously), but once you start trying to spin it to say 7000+ becomes less efficient. While other prop types will be useless at the lower rpm but more efficient at higher rpm's.
    there are many many factors to consider.
    Im not saying mercury got their dyno figures wrong but I've heard from 2 separate independants that dyno'd the 300xs and both agreed peak power was between 5950-6050rpm.?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been my experience with my 300xs's and DBR mods that the boat ran best around 6200rpm max. Anything higher no gains in speed maybe a slight decrease in speed.
    I never got my motors to turn more than 6400 rpm no matter what prop was on the boat. They seemed to hit a wall.

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine seem to be different, even with two guys, fuel and 80+ temps it will spin 6,500. It might possibly be the DBR tuners and open exhaust that are allowing the power to continue a little higher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S1.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale it has to be. There must be some sort of gains with the tuners. I had tried to get a couple from them for my x motors but Joe never got me pricing or dyno data on what the gains would be over stock.

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Rigged View Post
    Dale it has to be. There must be some sort of gains with the tuners. I had tried to get a couple from them for my x motors but Joe never got me pricing or dyno data on what the gains would be over stock.
    He says they don't really see much in the way of gains unless they also do internal mods to the motors, but that's the only difference between my 3.2s and yours. For whatever reason, my 3.2s like to spin 6,500, as they also spin my 15 1/2" x 34" labbed Merc 4 blades 6,500 (even though they only yield 112 at that rpm).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron- Your boat is beautiful w/ lots of cool parts however, the weight of your boat ( and everything in it ) and X dimension / drag would be the only things holding an XS back. No hp ( maybe 1 or 2 hp ) gains from the tuners, only a major weight reduction from stock.

Im not a smart man but my guess is just switching to X motors ( all other things remaining the same ) is not going to do much to your performance numbers. Maybe +1 or 2 mph on top when really light on fuel but your going to have to become a fuel barge to make a run of any distance. So in the end, what is gained?

I can turn my small props (34 four blade) w/ 1.62 to 6700 all day w/ my XS. I do however cruise w/ a 35 or 36 just to keep cruise speed up and rpm down. My hull is unique, light & has a pressure regulated water system but as w/ yours, Dales or anyone elses- more gains to be had from external water pick ups, props and a strong diet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt be changing a tuner without changing the fueling as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was this project from Skater killed???
    I would think with this new 15" 400R (single) motor would be a cool package, although I won't be the first ordering one anytime soon, some people might.
    Entry level Skater
    http://speedonthewater.com/new-boats...el-cat-in-2014

2001 Velocity 220 - 300
    xs by
    DBR - Sold
    2001 Motion 25, 03-250
    xs's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVISPEED1 View Post
    I would think with this new 15" 400R (single) motor would be a cool package, although I won't be the first ordering one anytime soon, some people might.
    Entry level Skater
    Im pretty sure it was killed at Skater but a few other manufactures are considering a mid-sized ( single or twin outboard ) to be a viable option. I wont name who they are as its not my place. Who knows- if Merc slaps a decent warranty on a 15" fs w/ 450hp - might see alot of neat stuff built. Alot of moving parts in a 7000rpm capable four stroke. I for one will stick with what I have until someone in a similar boat passes me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVISPEED1 View Post
    Entry level Skater
    Pete was thinking of doing a 25'/26' cat w/ or w/out a centerpod for a single I/O or twin 200XS application - until I told him the 200XSs had zero warranty. He said he couldn't sell a pleasure boat with non-warrantied motors so he said to hell with it. It was way down on his priority list anyways - he's got a few new boats he's working on before he got to that one anyway (which won't be anything for us little guys, trust me!). The only thing I see Pete doing with these 15" 400Rs will be as twins on 30/32s or maybe a 368 w/ triples.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam,
    I hear ya and you are right about the weight etc. I can tell you with the exception of Dale's number he is posting my Skater is as fast as any other 28's out there with guys I know and the numbers we share. With regards to the weight i figure 2mph maybe diffierence.
    Regarding the x motors I know you ran one but again light boat totally different scenario. If you look at the 28 Skater Jim has run 124, I have a friend with a 30 that runs 112mph, Another 28 ran 120 or so at LOTO. Tom Kennedy's 24 over 120mph also. Those numbers show and easy 8mph gain. I will know soon for myself. It was a fun project, it does drink some fuel, but I can tell you this. It pulls harder than xs set up and does not bang your head with compressor noise and sound like a fishing motor! I would be willing to bet there is no XS powered 28 going to come down here and run 115mph.
    I am looking forward to seeing Justins 24 Skater and also the one with the 2.5s in the keys.
    Going to try and come up to Jacksonville for the poker run and or Lake Lanier, Tick Faw. Hope to see you out there

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What clamp is this possible 15" 400R going to have?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam,
    I hear ya and you are right about the weight etc. I can tell you with the exception of Dale's number he is posting my Skater is as fast as any other 28's out there with guys I know and the numbers we share. With regards to the weight i figure 2mph maybe diffierence.
    Regarding the x motors I know you ran one but again light boat totally different scenario. If you look at the 28 Skater Jim has run 124, I have a friend with a 30 that runs 112mph, Another 28 ran 120 or so at LOTO. Tom Kennedy's 24 over 120mph also. Those numbers show and easy 8mph gain. I will know soon for myself. It was a fun project, it does drink some fuel, but I can tell you this. It pulls harder than xs set up and does not bang your head with compressor noise and sound like a fishing motor! I would be willing to bet there is no XS powered 28 going to come down here and run 115mph.
    I am looking forward to seeing Justins 24 Skater and also the one with the 2.5s in the keys.
    Going to try and come up to Jacksonville for the poker run and or Lake Lanier, Tick Faw. Hope to see you out there
    So you're saying my 28 would run 126+ if I put X powerheads on? I don't believe it would. My DBR XSs have already pushed my 28 to 118 with a passenger (cool morning, light on fuel), and I think the 35s will get me to 120 - which would mean 128 w/ X powerheads? I know my boat is light (weighs 3,780 dry), but I'm certain that Jim's is lighter being all stripped down, so I don't see how I could possibly be as fast as him with the same power, much less faster? I personally think my DBR XSs are very close in power to a set of X powerheads, because if I were willing to pull all the interior out of my boat, put just two Sparco seats in it and throw my full race hatch on (same setup as Jim's), I honestly think I'd run 122 in ideal conditions. Still wouldn't match Jim's speeds, as he's on kill with his 28, but it would be right there with the rest of the X powered 28s.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great debate Dale. Have thought this through many times. That is why I built these motors.
    I had stock 300xs. Then DBR Lvl 1 kits. Boat has weighed the same. Good set up. If you guys are right I will also say you were too. The boat will run what ever HP is available. I am not saying xs's motors are bad just wanted something to do. I will know soon enought once I get a few gremlins squared away. I my mind I believe a 300x is 8-10mph faster than a bone stock 300xs. Add a level 1 kit and if the HP is as claimed it should only be 4-5mph faster. In speaking with Dave Bush he also told me the compressor eats 20hp no matter what. That means the X motor has a 20hp advantage and not to mention a 7100rpm rev limit. I that alone will help accelleration. Lastly when I add the DBR goodies to the 300x it will make a lot more power. Dave Bush has openly said that the 300x is the best motor for all out hp. I just wanted a baseline and a feel for a starting point before jumping all in to the next level. Where I stop dont know yet. I like having bling and HP. Not just a stripped down model. This is what makes our sport so much fun. I have learned a lot from guys like you and admire your boat and set up as well as Skater Jims. Also our boating areas and climate influence how we set these things up.
    If we can put together the meet up at David K's place at Tenkiller maybe you can come too.
    It would be fun to line them up and just run!

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great debate Dale. Have thought this through many times. That is why I built these motors.
    I had stock 300xs. Then DBR Lvl 1 kits. Boat has weighed the same. Good set up. If you guys are right I will also say you were too. The boat will run what ever HP is available. I am not saying xs's motors are bad just wanted something to do. I will know soon enought once I get a few gremlins squared away. I my mind I believe a 300x is 8-10mph faster than a bone stock 300xs. Add a level 1 kit and if the HP is as claimed it should only be 4-5mph faster. In speaking with Dave Bush he also told me the compressor eats 20hp no matter what. That means the X motor has a 20hp advantage and not to mention a 7100rpm rev limit. I that alone will help accelleration. Lastly when I add the DBR goodies to the 300x it will make a lot more power. Dave Bush has openly said that the 300x is the best motor for all out hp. I just wanted a baseline and a feel for a starting point before jumping all in to the next level. Where I stop dont know yet. I like having bling and HP. Not just a stripped down model. This is what makes our sport so much fun. I have learned a lot from guys like you and admire your boat and set up as well as Skater Jims. Also our boating areas and climate influence how we set these things up.
    If we can put together the meet up at David K's place at Tenkiller maybe you can come too.
    It would be fun to line them up and just run!
    I think the big power difference between the X and the XS comes when they start modifying the internals - a fully modded X (w/ a 3.2 crank) starts becoming a monster, where a fully modded XS doesn't get a whole lot better than what we've got. There's no doubt that if you keep chasing #s by modifying your Xs, you will continue to see gains over your relatively stock XSs. But like Adam said earlier, don't expect to run with the lighter boats, even with the additional hp. You need to go weigh your boat Ron, so you know what to expect for good #s out of your setup.

Page 6 of 94 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 56 ... LastLast