Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 Opti Hard Start

Have a 2004 225 Opti with a couple issuses.

First, it is very hard to start. it will crank and crank then sputter a few times then finally start. It pumps up 75 PSI air (stays steady) and 85 PSI fuel but sometimes when you stop cranking, it loses fuel pressure (goes to zero). Once started, it takes a while before it will idle without stalling. It will do this cold or hot every time. Once running, it has full rpm under load, runs perfect. I'm thinking a bad high pressure pump since it did have water in it a couple years ago. No codes on the scan tool, new spark plugs and no water or dirt in the fuel.

Second, when I put the scan tool on the motor the first time, it showed 1.7 hours (the amount of time we used it the last time out). Then after we got it running while trying to diagnose it, we found the hours had dropped to zero. This motor has 450 hours on it. Do I have a bad computer? Maybe the ROM has gone bad?

I had thought the hard starting might have been related to the problem with the computer, so I swapped the computers from one engine to the other with no change. The other motor ran fine with the suspect computer.
    Last edited by flabum1017; 01-29-2015 at 11:26 PM.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Air and fuel should be 100 fuel and 110 air if I remember correctly. The hrs thing is a strange one tho..... Have you replaced the pulse pump?

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Book shows air is supposed to be 80 and fuel 90. At cranking i'm getting 75 and 85. I don't suspect the pulse pump because the reservoir is full of fuel after pumping the primer valve, so it should start on the third or fourth revolution. (yes the battery is sufficient and strong). I did notice that while cranking, the fuel pressure would be up and sometimes as soon as you stop cranking, the fuel pressure drops to zero. Maybe a bad pressure regulator.... will take it apart tomorrow.

As for the computer erasing the hours, I was told by a dealer that it's pretty common if there's a lightning strike nearby...... seems the memory on those is pretty sensitive, maybe Simon can fix it for us.....
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes psi reg also swap crank sensor I've seen them do funny stuff check and clean all grounds compair cranking volts at the main on the starter sol after that pull off intake and look for broken reeds

03 j17 skiff 40hp
    79 action 17 2.4
    79 15 viper (sold)
    85 22 velocity 225efi(sold)
    82 31 sea ray

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already swapped crank sensors, also swapped computers. Reeds are Chris Carson reeds two years old. Would not think reeds would cause a hard start like this on an Opti.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    test kill switch circuit Maybe small amount of continuity to ground try a test starting harness and swap the hole coil plate over bad or week CDM do you have DDT hit all air injectors one at a time they should all sound the same some times I pull them out n hold them in my hand to feel there clicking open just throwing stuff out there Ive had a few 3.0 optis do strange things

03 j17 skiff 40hp
    79 action 17 2.4
    79 15 viper (sold)
    85 22 velocity 225efi(sold)
    82 31 sea ray

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuel regulator, its just blowing fuel through might have psi but no volume. Think of it like a shower and you flush the toilet. The psi to the house stays the same but the open regulator is giving a week stream. Or path of least resistance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post
    Fuel regulator, its just blowing fuel through might have psi but no volume. Think of it like a shower and you flush the toilet. The psi to the house stays the same but the open regulator is giving a week stream. Or path of least resistance
    Once running, it runs fine..... if it were that it would not run full rpm under load........

We swapped out the fuel and air injectors, fuel reservoir assembly, computer and crank position sensor.... no change. We inspected the fuel pressure regulator and tracker valve diaphragms.... they are good. no fuel in the air side good fuel and air pressure. Right now it starts then immediately stops..... eventually it will stay running. Seems like it will start and stay running every time if you push in on the key while starting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Key switch malfunction? Losing batt power to the motor?

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was beginng to think that, or a weak compressor which I experinced the same symptoms before. But think I'm going to swap key switches next..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Key switch broken reed cage or stripped rubber coating. Fought a problem like this and finally it ate a powerhead due to a broken reed cage reeds were flawless Boysen reed set

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help guys.... turned out to be a bad key switch..... we replaced both of them while we were at it.

While we were checking things out, we found one motor had the throttle cable mal-adjusted; the tps was only showing 90% with the throttle lever at full, checked the engine and the throttle arm was not being pushed to full open, adjusted the cable and got it to 100%. Wonder how much speed we will gain...............