Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Boat Repair Experts: Silicone Remover

Surely you guys doing boat repairs have the answer since you deal with this regularly............Getting ready to replace my transom and wanted to see what the experts know about removing silicone/sealants from gelcoat

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the same boat Gary LOL someone used silicone on the Daytona that I'm doing a little work to....... well actually a lot of work, it's gonna be a center console flats boat like my Sleekcraft. I was told years ago never to use silicone because nothing will ever adhere to the area where the silicone was removed. I have used only polyurethane type sealants like 4200/5200 since. I hope someone has an easy solution. MEK is the strongest cleaner I've got in the shop, think I'll give it a try.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary Go to Home Depot and in the paint and caulking dept. they have a caulk remover that works great on silicone! I use it at work to remove old silicone in the bathrooms at the university I am under contract with. Hope this helps. Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flatsleek,

Forget "MEK", won't touch silicone. I've tried it all, MEK, Laq. Thinner, Acetone, Paint Thinner, Xylene, Alcohol, Muriatic Acid and actually found the E10 gas and Gum Rubber sheet works best....LMAO !!!! It's still a pain in the azz no matter how you do it...............never again !!!!!!!!

Olboatman,

Tried the Home Depot stuff and not real happy with it either, best thing so far is E10 gas on a rag, rub briskly followed by rubbing the surface with a "GUM RUBBER" sheet. It acts like an eraser and balls up the remaining stuff. Either way, it's allot of work and I'll never, ever use silicone on a boat again.

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, maybe it will be best if I grind/putty the areas where the silicone is because it's getting a layer of cloth & resin. don't want any delamination at those areas