Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cutting the tongue off my trailer...

Buying my son-in-laws 88 196XL Bass-Hawk, boat is in good shape (sorta) but trailer nose area is junk. I am pretty mechanical, build race cars, retired military from the AF, (crew chief), build, weld, construct, what ever. That all being said, I THINK I can handle this, but with age comes the wisdom to know to ask questions, mostly of people that might have done something like this before.
    I am going to cut nose of the trailer tongue off at the cross member forward. It is a 3" square tongue, and the trailer frame is 4" channel.
    Has anyone done this before? Also, what is the best way to take the boat off the trailer.
    I also am going to build a new winch post.
    Any suggestions would be awesome.
    Thanks
    ps..........wonderful site everyone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post is pretty old by the time I saw it. But military myself 32 years and counting. Hueys, blackhawks, Chit-hooks. First trailer bought a boat and trailer for the motor once. Tongue was bent, Cut the bad section out reattached the hitch. 6 years still going. Second trailer Old Old Duckboat trailer, Bought a larger Mod-V. Went to the local welding shop and bought a piece of 3" square tubing than cut it to length. Since sold the rig. But I had it for at least 4 years prior to selling it.