Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torquemaster Lower Unit Issues

Hey guys new to the forum and Mercury owner. I have 2008 300xs with a 20" fat shaft 1.75 torquemaster on an 08 Sterling 220xs. The lower unit is giving me trouble and the mechanics in my area are mostly salesmen and just want to sell me a new lower then help me with my problem. The previous owner of the boat blew the original lower by running with out lube that somehow escaped. I purchased the boat March 14' and after about a month of use I noticed the lower sounded dry when I spun the prop while on the trailer. Opened it up and nothing but water came out. Took it to the mechanic that sold and installed this lower to have them check it. They advised that all the seals were burnt out and the front gear set showed wear and the pinion gear hardness was coming off. The mechanic advised I "could" replace the gear set and pinion gear or I "could" use it as is and it may last 5hrs or 500hrs. I took the cheap way and just had them replace the seals and water impeller. After about 45hrs I go to replace the gear lube and I have a large amount of milky lube coming out = water in the lube, and some fairly large shavings on the screw. As I put new lube in and spinning the prop shaft I noticed some lube to show around the prop shaft seal area but not enough for me to wipe off with my finger.

Now this would be the third time this motor and the second time this lower has had seal issues. Is there something else going on for this to be happening. I understand the shavings would be the gear set, but what is causing my seals to go and how am I getting this water intrusion. Sorry for being so long winded.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do the shafts look? any signs of rust? how high up are you running the engine on the boat? i always put in a 3 seal billet carrier on the driveshaft, and install 3 seals on the propshaft, and we don't have issues with the gearcases losing oil or ingesting water.
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    how do the shafts look? any signs of rust? how high up are you running the engine on the boat? i always put in a 3 seal billet carrier on the driveshaft, and install 3 seals on the propshaft, and we don't have issues with the gearcases losing oil or ingesting water.
    No rust on the shafts that I can see. The prop shaft does have a lot of play when it is in neutral and just moving the shaft by hand. Is that a carrier issue? Or is that linked to the worn forward gear set and pinion gear issue I did not replace? In my opinion the motor is not run to high, I've never had a water pressure issue or thrown any overheat sensors. I'm going to measure the prop shaft run out this weekend to see if it is bent and a possible cause.

With the 3 seal billet carrier and additional seals on the prop shaft, what are the advantages to that and is that common knowledge that a Merc Racing tech would know to do? And would you know of anyone in Southwest FL that you would recommend? Like I said most mechanics in my area are better salesmen then technicians. Also Ive heard about a strainer in the adapter plate can get clogged and restrict water flow that cools the exhaust temps could be a cause as well. And I am leaning in that direction because even the nylon in my prop nut is burned and melted out as well.

Another note the midsection between the head and gear case (obviously) gets very hot after runs, as in so hot you cant stand to hardly touch it. I understand it will be some what hot as that is where the exhaust runs, but is that standard? Or a cooling issue?
    Last edited by Sterling220xs; 11-06-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Offshore performance in Ft Myers. 239-489-0884 Donnie runs the place and he and his dad own the place. They can get you straightened out. Good guys. We run in a lot of shell infested waters, our motors don't like this stuff. Somethings wrong if the prop nut is melting....

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or you can ship it over here, i am on the east coast of florida, and i agree that something may be blocked in the adapter plate
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build