Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1993 merc xri 175 hp questions

Bought my first fiberglass boat in early July of this year, and boy has it been an experience. It's a 94 Bass Cat eyra had a 150 mariner mag 3 which I blew up 3 weeks after I got it. Machine shop said rod bearing failure was the cause. Rod went through the block and metal went in crankcase and destroyed that so it wasn't rebuildable.

I found a "low hours" sense rebuild 1993 merc 175 xri efi for a decent price complete engine. Engine does appear to be freshly rebuilt. Some concerns I have found it had the wrong plugs in it, easy fix. The throttle linkage needed synched easy fix. My biggest concern at this point is or maybe I shouldn't be concerned that's why I'm asking compression numbers are 110, 110, 118, 110, 105, 95... Should I be concerned about those numbers? 95 is a bit low correct? I also thought I read these engines have higher compression like in the 120 to 135 range? Is that accurate? Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Kip

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your gauge might just be bad but the spread is too far. The plugs truly don't matter. Use whatever you like.

Rod bearings don't fail on their own unless they lose oiling. Learn from that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil injection removed, not gonna risk it again for convenience a little two stroke smoke doesn't bother me. I had the marina that put the new jack plate on do the compression check so I'm not sure if the compression test was done with all the plugs out and WOT I know he said the engine was at operating temp when checked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is my true compression numbers, what's an estimated life expectancy I could get out of this powerhead. I'm a fisherman at WOT I'm running 5300 rpm always use premium fuel NO octane and as I said Oil injection is removed so it will guaranteed always be lubed. I don't run cheapo oil quicksilver or merc oil always. I cannot afford to pull the powerhead and rebuild at this time. I payed $3000 for this engine after I blew my 150. Honestly a rebuild is at least a year or two out as far as funds go and I'm hoping I can get that out of it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're turning 5300 RPM Wide Open, that's bad. That engine needs to turn 5800 to 6000 RPM at full throttle. You can cruise all day at 5300 but the motor MUST be able to rev or you're lugging it which is really bad for a 2 stroke. Be sure you don't forget to put the oil in, at least one pint per 6 gallons of gas, use Quicklean or SeaFoam and maybe add some Stabil too.

Best of luck, enjoy and keep us up to date.
    I carry a gun because a cop won't fit in my pocket.

1987 Glasstream 15V
    1986 Mariner "Tower of Power" 115