Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alien factory cowl /what plastic is this made of

I have a factory alien cowl for a 2.5 mercury. It is the one without bungees but has the rear latch to lock i ton the pan.. it has a hairline crack that I would like to glue or solvent weld it.. The crack is in a good place if it has to have a crack.. It cannot be seen and if I can use a solvent weld glue it will be OK as it will never be seen as long as I do it neatly and carefully. I plan to drill a small hole at each end of the crack first to prevent it from going any farther. I was thinking maybe no drilling all the way through but maybe 80 to 90 percent through and fill the holes I drill with the solvent.. BUT: first I need to know what to use for a solvent.. What compound or make up is that plastic? I am not an expert but have done some solvent welding of Lexan and PVC also before. If someone here knows what to use or has any good tips it is greatly appreciated... thanks, Bob
    20ft Gambler with Merc 260
    Too many projects to liist..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's molded plastic just like the plastic bumpers on cars. I use sem two part bumper repair stuff . Use 36 grit on small right angle ginder to open crack up . Slow the grinder down so it does not melt plastic . They sell a mesh plastic repir tape to use on back side as reinforcement . Sand and use all steps as if a plastic bumper using all adhesion promotors . Paint has been on my cowl for years and still looks good
    1990 hydrostream virage diamondpower280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. This crack cannot be seen and to get to it from underneath there is a double wall or air deflector in the way. he cowl does not need painting as it looks good.. But surely there is a glue I can get into the crack..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would post this so folks can follow the thread.. I turned the cowl upside down on some old towels so it would not scratch it up. Then opened up the crack with several (3) small common screw drivers. Then with a small artist brush I cleaned inside the crack with lacquer thinner. Then next with another small artist brush I filled the crack from small hole to the other hole (.065 drill bit I believe it was) It seems to have done the trick so far.. The repair now is not at all noticeable.. Now to see if it holds and how long it holds.. Since it was underneath a horizontal ledge and out of direct sight and the 2 part epoxy I filled it with is clear.. It is not at all noticeable.. but if this does not hold then I can cut it out and use the black bumper stuff.. he cowl just looks good enough and to paint it seems such a shame.. I did buff it out nice and slick.. A few small imperfections here and there but if it was too perfect I would be afraid to use it.. LOL If it does not hold I will post it here... so far so good!