Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humm a week has snuck by since I updated, The boat is back on the trailer as of last weekend, I have welded up a new transom pickup which entailed some final shaping of the last few inches of the pad. I then hung the engine and started with rigging. I am making a number of changes such as the trim relays are in the hull now. This requires a sealtite fitting trough the hull and a complete rewire of the limit switches for the jack-trim system which when I powered the boat up a day ago it appears I got the NO and NC sides of the limit switches reversed. Back under the aft deck to redo that.
    With the boat being upside down for weeks I did not get away without needing to bleed the steering. During this winter I had machined new swivel bushings since it is common to have some play, no more now. This motor has a stainless tiller arm and a few years back I had the bolt holding the steering cylinder seize up buggering the threads. So my repair there was to change to a ½" bolt. That required machining new bushings for the steering cylinder.
    Yesterday's task was a road trip to the warehouse to collect a new Dexter Vcamber axle and springs. I then slid the boat off into my pond for the afternoon while I changed out the running gear under the trailer. What a treat when one lives with a bad shoulder.

With the boat sitting in water for a half day, it still gets some water in the bilge. WTF does it take to have a fully dry hull?

I still have a pretty long list to do before the Romp, such as machining a new instrument panel and well seeing about firing up this new to me Excel. That is a rather high priority at this point.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.
    80 21' Superboat with Yamaha 225 Excel power
    76 Glastron to be powered by a 6.2 L92 with surface drive
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest update, I was up at the Romp at Great Sacanadaga lake with the boat and due to time crunch I had not properly tested the new to me motor before traveling. Turns out there is a glitch in the ignition and the engine would not rev past 3k. So at this point I have learned nothing from my work.
    Once the engine makes power this should be a happier story.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep right at it Charlie.......you will get it!!!! Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After some diagnostic work I replaced the Throttle sensor and the engine at least tries but is far from right. It is probably up to 100 Hp or so, the boat will lazily get up to 40.
    The one thing I noticed is the work I did on the hull, low speed obviously, this thing corners great now. I think it may be real nice to learn how it feels once I can get up to speed.
    Charlie
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now have the motor running strong. It had corrosion in some terminals in the new to me main harness.
    Now I can begin my learning and tuning.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

6. Likes Slimm liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is it still a work in progress? Would like to hear that it really got it out of the water.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    So is it still a work in progress? Would like to hear that it really got it out of the water.
    Humm has been some time since I have updated this. Back in July when I thought I had the motor up to full power, well not fully, for some reason It stops pulling just over 5K. It has considerably more mid range power now but then just falls flat. My one chance I had to get a real test in was almost "good"
    Yes the hull was starting to air out, from around 50mph it is feeling considerably lighter than ever. Photos my wife shot show the bow riding higher than ever, which for this old ski boat is not very high still. Around 5K rpm I think the power was falling below what the original 150 ProV was giving me. I was seeing 65MPh, just a few more than the 62 I was seeing before the work. The hull at that point was starting to get dancy so I would say it was just starting to climb on the pad.
    This outing was followed with me going into surgery for shoulder reconstruction which has been a much needed blessing for me and the end of the last decade of misery I have lived under. Needless to say I have not done anything else with the boat since early August.
    I am not sure what spring will bring for me time wise to work with this. Since my surgery word has gotten out in the road race world that I have use of my arm again and I am now swamped with work, 4 cars to build for next season. Being I no longer have employees as a one man show this is allot of work. I do not think I will have time to play with my own toys till June or July at the best. At least I have a chance of refilling the long empty bank account.

Back on my boat I am wondering if I am overlooking something like the fuel pumps restricting my top end power since the powerhead and tuner change should allow the engine to spin up at least 1K more than it has been especially with the hull now lightening up.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

9. Likes FMP, Slimm liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear the shoulder is on the mend. THe hull mods work and all you need is the power back to air it out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    Good to hear the shoulder is on the mend. The hull mods work and all you need is the power back to air it out.
    Not to mention learn to drive it. It will take me some time to get comfortable with running on the pad. I only touched on this my last time out that running at speed in some chop I expect it was climbing up and started some chine walk, nothing big but I was not ready to go there.
    I sure wish there was a dyno nearby so I can learn what the engine is trying to tell me. I feel like I am back in the dark ages without getting data from the engine. I keep coming home from the lake with questions, not answers. This Yamaha Excel technically has data available But I have no way to access it.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie Glad to hear you are gettin ready to give the world hell again!!! I know where you have been and are goin thru due to my knees and my surgery. Back to your boat.... You said that the Excel has data available and have no way to access it . Does that mean that there is a program you need for a laptop? If so maybe there is a member on here that could help? Just thinkin outloud as nothing is as bad as knowin something is wrong and not being able to "put a finger on it" . Keep on it as you will work it out and we are here to help!!! Gary
    Last edited by olboatman; 12-15-2015 at 07:25 PM. Reason: old age
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After my shoulder was responding far better than average and learning we have a new to the area foot surgeon. I went to her to see what she could offer with a rather old injury. The issue is way up inside the foot and is non operable. Oh well. Now onto the knees.

The Excel data uses a special harness that looks to plug into the oil system. Just offers blinking light type code. Appears that outside a dealer this info is unknown. I have no dealers anywhere around me.
    By the mid 90s actual trouble codes were available from these systems.
    These remind me of the old Bosch inspection steps, move throttle 7 times, tap brake pedal then read a meter. Different procedure for different devices. You had to be a master tech with all the training to know that stuff.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn't those things have a crude o2 sensor? If so that could make it go rich.....And kill your hp.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The O2 sensor came in later. These had a knock sensor which had it's own issues but I do not think is what I am troubled with. But then I can not be sure. This Excel sure is strong in midrange compared to the modded 150. But they both stop pulling around 5K. I figured that was due to the restrictive tuner the ProV ran. But the Excel is setup the way it belongs with the proper tuner so I did not expect the power to fall off as it does. I expected it to pull to the limiter as many say it will. The only thing non stock in the powerhead is this has a milled exhaust plate. The idea is sound but this leaves a generous step on the roof of the exhaust ports close to the cylinder. I have a stock plate ready to go on but back a few months ago I could not raise my right up arm to change it. Now that I am getting decent use of the arm it is supposed to be winter up here, I do look at the boat most every day. Just can not play with it.

Fuel delivery is haunting me though. Same pumps off the old motor. I intend to at least test with an electric pump.
    This hull has a front tank so the pumps are pulling through a pretty long straw. It is rigged for a rear tank, I just have not built the tank yet.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subscribed

It does sound like fuel delivery, seeing as how you have similar rpm limitations with two different power heads on the same fuel system.
    Guessing the fuel lines and connectors are all minimum 3/8" ID, and no kinks or restriction?

I had a 1987 Excell 225 I bought new for a CC North American I had. It was a great motor, ran strong...just couldn't keep pistons in it. That was the years when Yamaha had soft pistons and started knocking the wrist pin bosses out of the pistons. Happened twice under warranty. The final warranty repair they used weisco pistons and problem solved!

Great work on the pad!

James
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but very interesting! What happened?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast