Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 1985 Hydra Sport VL-475 T NEED HELD!

So I just bought my first boat, and I need some help. I went to school for automotive, so I am not 100% dumb when it comes to working on things but boats are a hole new world. Also new to forums so any help is appreciated.

So I picked up this 85 hydra sport from a local business that bought it for the motor. They said all they did was take the motor off before they sold it to me. What I am really looking for is a repair manual for the boat. It has random wires in a few places. Does anyone know where I can find one? I have called hydra sport who said they sold the bass boats to Stratos. So I called them and they didn't have one either. There are a few things missing and being new to boats I have no idea what should be there along with the wiring. Any repair information will be helpful thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunatly, You Probably Wont Find A Wiring Diagram For Your Boat.... Best Bet Would Be To Replace Most Of The Wiring From The Switch Pannel, Gauges, Pumps, ETC. If It Has A Control Box And It Has The Key Switch With It, You Should See A Plug (Male) If It's For A Merc. Not Sure On OMC's And I Don't Speak Japanese So I Have No Clue What You Would Have For A Yamaha/Suzikie/ETC...Just Takes Time To Trace Them All Out From Front To Back. Trolling Motor Wiring Should Run From Frome To Back On The Opposite Side As The Control Box, Switches, ETC. I Know That Doesn't Help Much But, It Should At Least Get You Started.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I noticed I have the thing posted on a few sites with no luck on a manual so I was thinking the same thing just rewire the hole boat thanks for the help

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 85hyrda View Post
    That's what I noticed I have the thing posted on a few sites with no luck on a manual so I was thinking the same thing just rewire the hole boat thanks for the help

I Know It Doesn't Sound Like It BUT, That Is The Easiest Way To Do It...I've Had My Buddy Who Is A Wiring/Rigging GURU Do All Three Of My Allisons. You Wouldn't Beleave How Much "Extra" Wiring That Does Nothing That The Factories Put In These Boats! Good Luck With Your New Project.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New ta boats are ya.... First thing with that one would be a check of floor, stringers, transom for rot 'fore ya get to far into it. Theres only a coupla reasons a dealer (if that's who sold it to ya) separates runnin' rigs. That's one of 'em..........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hydra sports stopped making bass boats a long time ago,literature is likely made of unobtainium.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just spent two days pulling up the floor, had two replace the back half of the deck. Other that everything looks to be good. Beings that I don't know boats that well I took it to a boat shop and had them look over it. They said everything was straight (which they were very shocked beings the boat is 30 years old) and said after I finish the floor it will be ready for a motor and the open water. I do have a few small things to do but she is coming along nicely. Not bad for a guy who has never owed a boat before lol. Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That hull I think is the newer version of the old v270, nice n quick with an old 2.4/2.5 200 merc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 475 on E-bay 10 years back it was a 87' maybe 86 not sure but I gutted it and rewired the entire boat front to back...didn't take that long....replaced a lot of faded gauges also. It was worth the time and money. The boat runs like brand new....everything work's like it's suppose to
    Boatless..... but plotting

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1985 was the year Earl Bentz left HydraSports and opened up Stratus boats. He also took many of the best employees with him and for 6 Mos or so the boats built were total junk!
    I know this because I purchased one and was in a year long law suit over it!
    I wound up with them building me a new Kevlar hull '86 to replace it.....I had no problems out of the '86.
    The biggest problem with SOME 1985's were that the glass was laid too hot and cracking everywhere!
    Cheer!
    WillySteve Hendricks

20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/ProMax 225x-Sold!
    '83-20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc 2.4 ModVP BridgePort EFI-Sold!
    '85-18' Stratus STV/Merc Hi-Po 2.4 EFI-Sold!
    Freedom 240 DLX Fisher Toon/Merc 115

10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25HP On The Bottle!
    18" Home Made Tunnel/OS .021XM Outboard on 50% Nitro and Expansion Chamber