Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New member, 1st boat in a long time Advice

First Hello, Love this place. I have been searching, reading and searching some more. I see much mention of pad type V-bottoms and the required seat time to learn how to really operate them properly? I have NO experience in this type of boat, so it is a concern to me? I grew up around 17-19 foot fishing/fun family boats, not a complete newbie? Should I be looking at a less thoroughbred hull design, sedate maybe? The boat will be for Lake Mead, surrounding ponds and rivers out west and maybe the Columbia river some summer! Primary uses, cruising, killing time, stress relief and fishing. Thoughts, a 21 to 24 footer with 200 to 300 horse (depends on boat?) efi outboard. Performance goal 50-55 mph easy cruising speed and efficiency without worrying about snotty weather? Looks, LOVE the classic Donzi, Superboat, Checkmate style boats, really like the 2400 BRX, roomy! Plenty of stuff on here about what are quality hulls, what they will handle, what to look for and how they will perform. It is all those little comments about handling quirks, chine walking and how much seat time you need before you are SAFE and know what you are doing that are tweaking me?? Links to more info on this topic are appreciated as are comments about other hull choices or combos? Dang there is a lot of opinions on engines too. I thought the whole Ford, GM, Chrysler thing was BAD!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to scream and fly,

A 24 checkmate with a 300 will run in the 70s so you will be happy-It is an easy hull to drive. Contact Randy Corson (aka Wildman) as he has been checkmates #1 dealer in the recent past and has a spotless clean used 24 right now. Randys cell # is 386 295 2132, tell them that I directed you.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't go wrong with a boat rigged by Wildman. There is also a really nice 21 Sutphen OB available on this site and boattrader. Sutphens are true one off custom boats. Offshoreonly.com may be another site for information concerning your manufactures of interest. Only word of advice is don't buy anything without a sea trial in the type of conditions you plan on running. Good luck.
    Last edited by Ing; 09-09-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    Ing
    Semper Fi!
    Sold the Talon
    Sold the Pantera
    Sold the Renegade
    2022 Monterey M65
    "Yup...I'm old"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a bunch.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The type of boats, size and speed you are looking for will not put you into any serious issue with learning to drive it. Yeah, it might chine walk if you get it really running, though I suspect not, and you will learn to control that real soon. The really tough to drive V hulls are the light Allisons getting up near or over 100 mph, and any light pad V running really high speeds. You will be fine with one of the types of hulls you are considering. Don't know if you are looking new or used, but one more big plus for Wildman.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Scream And Fly, Crowkiller! All of the above suggestions are great. But, you need to post photos here when you get the new boat. We love photos.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roger that!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Ally at 50-55 would be easy enough to drive, and have enough potential that no upgrade would be needed when the need for speed kicks in. Good rough water hulls for their size, and well built.

There are lots of other good choices. I would buy more speed than 50-55 so you aren't running full out so much, and have growth room.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! Dude, your screwed asking us!!! Well lead you to empty wallets and upset women!!

Just buy an Allison and start with an old 150. Then you can learn to drive it. They are kake once you learn em but without attention and respect over 75ish they can and will bite you. Once you get it down strap some horsepower on and hang on!

I was in the low 90's within 3-4 months of having my Ally. It takes set time, nerves, attention & respect of the boat but holy **** they are fun to drive! Mine runs upper 90's and I think she may have 100 in her.....

nick
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!