Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helmets??

I have a Lake & Bay flats boat that is doing 96 mph and I will probably get it to break 100. I never thought this boat would be this fast and now that it is this fast I am buying a Lifeline 170 jacket and a helmet. I could use some advise on what helmet to buy. I would like something lightweight, comfortable and I would like some type of neck protection. Carting helmets and neck collars seem like a good option. I want something that is not a pain in the ass to wear so that I will actually wear it. It's useless if you hate wearing it and don't put it on.
    Last edited by Air&Sea; 07-28-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the lifeline jackets have collars that act like a neck brace to eliminate helmet roll...?
    2001 Charger DL w/ 200 Optimax - Sold
    2015 STV ProComp Sprint - Geiger 15” 225 Promax
    2012 HNR NTV18R Rocket - Geiger 15” 225 Promax
    Built by Top Gun Marine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The tall collar on the 170 vests does nothing more than attempt to deflect water in a feet-first entry to try and reduce helmet bucketing. Neck braces used in auto racing will do no good when contacting water at high speed. HANS device is the best solution but there's nothing comfortable about it because when worn properly, significantly reduces your ability to move your head around, which is the whole point.
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use open face helmets. I will not wear a full face in an open boat. The health of my neck is more important than how pretty my face is.
    I wasn't aware they made HANS devices for seats that aren't equipped with seatbelts. Can you post a link please?
    Last edited by GregAdams; 10-22-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregAdams View Post
    I use open face helmets. I will not wear a full face in an open boat. The health of my neck is more important than how pretty my face is.
    I wasn't aware they made HANS devices for seats that aren't equipped with seatbelts. Can you post a link please?
    I may have referenced "HANS" in error when "helmet restraint" would have been more appropriate. Lifeline carries 2 that I'm aware of, one being built in-house, the other by NexGen or something like that. These are affixed to the helmet.

http://www.lifelineracegear.com/main/ will get you there, click products, then scroll down to "head and neck systems". I'm sure there are other manufacturers out there for similar systems but these are the types I referred to in my first response.
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also was curios on helmets. I see Lifeline has a Bell that is both SNELL and DOT approved. Most of the Racing Organizations (DSRA etc) say they require DOT OR SNELL certifications.

Excluding the neck restraint, which you can get the one from Lifeline, or the other type that strap to the helmet, seems that most cart, car, motorcycle helmets would meet those requirements.

My question is, is there anything wrong with going to the local motorcycle shop and getting like a Shoei or Bell that is SNELL and DOT certified? Or is there a specific helmet made for boating? If so what is the difference? Is it closed cell foam? Is the cut out different?

1998 TEXAS MIRAGE RIVER RACER

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out "Leatt" neck braces. I used them for MX racing for years. About half of the pro MX'ers use them. Carbon fiber and you don't even know that you are wearing them unless you want to look directly down, like at your crotch. A bit $$ but so is my life! I have one that is almost new and might sell it. I have the Lifeline Bell open face helmet. I agree that a full-faced helmet will probably kill you in a open boat crash. I have broken ribs, dislocated shoulders over the years when tournament water skiing and hitting the wake at 60+ MPH so I have some experience on how had water can get!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, the only difference in the Bell Sport for boat racing vs the regular Sport is the absence of front vents to keep water out if you catch a rooster tail or whatever.
    Dave