Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TooStroked View Post
    Where will you be doing most of your boating? The reason I ask is that different size bodies of water generally require different types of hulls to both go fast and ride like anything less than a floor jack. For instance, a classic Hydrostream or Switzer would be a great small river / lake boat and go like stink. Put it on Lake Ontario (where I do most of my boating) and you'd hate yourself for buying one in about 5 minutes. On the other hand, classic Challengers, Shadows or even my Progression are pretty darn quick, but absolutely eat rough water. (Relatively speaking of course.)

Hope that helps.
    These are very valid points and ill admit there are days on big lakes with lots of boat traffic i wish i was in a Progression with a 300xs. Big arse rollers are also not your friend in an Allison but a 22ft Progression can jump them all day long.

I boat mostly on lakes with little to zero boat traffic I live way up north in a not so populated area. When I go on Vacation for a month of boating every day next week its a freaking zoo most days as its a resort town with nice lakes. Thats when I have to get up early to make some nice runs. Fart around during the day hunting for calm and evening is good as we stay right on the lake so I don't have to worry about going to the ramp stay out till dark. TN has some good water for Allisons and theres lots there including the factory. If your not to far from the Allison Factory go talk to Darris allison and ask him when the new 23ft Allison Grand sport will be ready for production. If he gives you that top secret answer I would also like to know!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one other kinda important thing he may wanna know with the 260s/280s,how often they need rebuild

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rprinzo View Post
    one other kinda important thing he may wanna know with the 260s/280s,how often they need rebuild
    Thread is 8 years old, he probably found out 7 years ago
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst View Post
    Thanks, guys. Great info and pretty much what I'm looking for. What are the best years to look for on the 2.5? Is the guy right when he told me to stay 2005 and older? Also, what sort of mods do you Merc guys do or have done to squeeze more HP out of it? I can build a small or big block Chevy all day but I'm new to outboards. There's a guy not far from me with a 2005 2.5 280hp for sale with 45 hours on it. He's asking $10K. Good or bad?
    If the motor is in good shape and is a complete motor, mid, lower, that's a very fair price. If you're not interested, send me his number. My real world experience... 280 isn't much different on gas than a 225 promax. The 280 needs a lot less throttle than a 225 to run a similar hull the same speed. If you're holding both wide open, yes, the 280 will burn a lot more, but you'll be running 15mph faster. None of them are "good" on gas.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2