Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll get some up today, actually going out later on to do some tuning on it
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how did the tuning go?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent but weird! the new engine bangs the limiter(7k rpm on the new 300x computer) with ease and pretty quickly, that is with his 30p pro et. the other thing is it goes thru the hop way faster, acceleration is way better. this is the weird part though. the speed is only 87 mph with the 30 pro et on it, i put a 32 pro et on it and the boat bangs the limiter at 90 mph. the owner used to see 89 mph with 2 people in the boat with the 30 at aprox 6700 with the old powerhead. nothing else has been changed other then the powerhead. i am at a loss to explain this one! his boat is an '86, mine is a 91, my boat is definetely much lighter which would explain some of the speed difference between the pair,and his hull has asome differences(has an additional strake) but it still makes no sense the loss of speed and gain in rpm, using his old prop. my prop guy feels that it is due to the increase in torque, that it is causing an increase in slip,but still, if you spin it faster it should go faster. comparing his to mine also, at 6k rpm his boat is doing in the lo 80's, on mine i'm in the 90's, setup and props on both boats is identical. Checked gear ratios this morning and found he has a 1.87 ratio, apparently mercury offered it as a high altitude ratio! Just ordered a 1.75 gearset and will change it. Still doesn't explain the loss of speed and gain in rpm though, as nothing was changed other then the powerhead at this point. Just rechecked the gear ratio in daylight and it is a 1.75. going to try my 1.62 case on it next
    Last edited by mrcrsr; 03-26-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Had same type of issue 28 30 and 32 et stock 300pm vs a 300x prop slip was massive lowerd motor. how high are you running it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it has a hydraulic jackplate, typically the higher you raise the jackplate the faster you go until you run out of water pressure. i held the throttle at 6950, lowered the engine while watching the gps , speed started to fall, raised the motor and speed climbed. also played with the trim doing the same thing, you can really fly the bow but the speed falls when you do it. its weird, the setup is identical to my boat. even at 6k rpm, his boat is doing 80, i'm running in the low 90's at the same rpm, even tried my 30 on it. i'm going to try my 1.62 gearcase on it next. kinda at a loss with this one, the slip numbers are over 20%
    Last edited by mrcrsr; 03-27-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand the speed loss with increased torque creating more slip but i don`t get why your boat is faster at the same rpm with the identical set up. Weight being the only difference could be the culprit. You may find more speed with your 1.62 but i don`t think it will match the speed of your boat. I agree with you Charlie. It`s a weird thing.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The gear difference is the speed difference between boats. You will have to turn a 1.87 8000rpm to get the same prop shaft rpm as a 1.62 turning 7000rpm (everything else being equal).

the increase in slip on the same boat back to back is strange. The increased torque might make it slip on acceleration but you'd think once you hold it there a minute it would catch up and slip would drop. Strange
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two identical used boats will NEVER run identical in terms of a high performance setup. The bottom on the unexplainably more efficient boat is without a doubt truer and sharper where it needs to be.

Unless I'm reading it wrong. There is two identical boats, setups, and using each others props correct?
    985-255-9591. Thanks Randy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtis View Post
    Two identical used boats will NEVER run identical in terms of a high performance setup. The bottom on the unexplainably more efficient boat is without a doubt truer and sharper where it needs to be.

Unless I'm reading it wrong. There is two identical boats, setups, and using each others props correct?
    Everything identical down to the propellers. His boat is definetely heavier, and his sponsors have an additional strake compared to mine. The weird thing is that just changing the powerhead caused a 3 mph loss, but a drastic increase in rpm, and acceleration. One thing I did just realize, he has a cut down 15" mid, I have a factory 2.5 15" clamp, so I have a Lil more setback, still doesn't explain the speed loss from a powerhead change.
    Last edited by mrcrsr; 03-27-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja200merk View Post
    The gear difference is the speed difference between boats. You will have to turn a 1.87 8000rpm to get the same prop shaft rpm as a 1.62 turning 7000rpm (everything else being equal).

the increase in slip on the same boat back to back is strange. The increased torque might make it slip on acceleration but you'd think once you hold it there a minute it would catch up and slip would drop. Strange
    Kevin, initially I thought the gear ratio was 1.87, took the gearcase apart last night and it is 1.75.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ran the boat yesterday,the 21 skater with the modded opti block, 1.62 case with his 30 p pro et, it basically took alot of the fun out of driving the boat. it planes off much quicker, but once the boat lays over and hooked up it was sitting at about 2200 rpm, you give it some throttle and not much happens for a little bit, first time i planed it i looked back at the engine and checked the guages thinking something was wrong, but it was just under hi load at lo rpm, once you get up to 3500 it is fine, acceleration was ok, not great, and top end was 89.5 at 6800, about the same as running the 32 with the 1.75 gears, and the 32 /1.75 accelerated way better and was fun to drive, and didn't lug at lo speed. the 30 did have a little bit of cup added to it, so that may have contributed to the bog at lo rpm, and i didn't have time to run the 32.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you tried it again?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.grover View Post
    you tried it again?
    the results are a post above your question. the one thing i find weird with the 1.62 case is it spins the 30 to 6800(not to the limiter) at the same speed as the 1.75 case with the 32 at the limiter, and the 32/1.75 combo totally out accelerates the 1.62/30p combination(89.5 mph) i think he is going to have to play with props. his boat is definetely much heavier(earlier 21 skater) and the slite difference in the sponsons.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any new updates?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    both engines are running strong, the opti block skater's fuel mileage is much better then it was with the 300x- the x used to get 2.2-2.5 mpg, the opti block gets 3-3.5 mpg,i think mike was happier with that part of it more then anything else, and makes more power. as far as the trick(modded 250 efi) haven't gotten to string it out yet with the 32 pro et.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast