Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

14' alweld moditified V

Hello gang, newbie here.

I'm looking into setting up an alweld 14' aluminum modified V boat with a 92' mariner 40hp magnum tiller. The boat weighs approx 200lbs. Whats to be expected with proper setup, pitch, rpm outta this rig speed wise?

I see these videos on YouTube of what looks like 14' alweld boats with 40hp mercury and these lil boats are flying! The one video is a S.R.G gator boat (very similar to the alweld) with what he says a 50hp tiller and he's gotta be doing about high 50's-60mph. Is this all out to lunch? These videos just baffle me of understanding how these lil aluminum boats are accomplishing these speeds. What hp does it really take on these 14' maybe 15' to get up into those speeds? Can it be done with that type of boat with experience at the helm? again I'm a newbie at understanding small hp speed boats and any help would be great. Anybody out there getting upper 60's with 40-50hp tillers?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up on a river, had all sorts of boats, worked for a marina and two different boat manufactures. Without question the most fun and best handling boats are aluminum tiller handle boats. The reason is that you basically have the prop and engine in one hand and the boat in the other. Think about it. You are physically connected to the the boat in one hand and the prop in the other. You feel everything. They are hard to get that kind of speed out of but do respond well mods. I suspect those are not stock engines or they would be in the 30's or low 40's. It's simple to get a 35mph tiller boat up to 40 with just prop, engine height, weight distribution and trim. They respond very well to the basics. Find one with a straight bottom. They get bent and hooked real easy but a nice flat one will fly and doing 40 in a light tin boat feels like 100. Have fun!

Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buddy has a 14' with a Mercury 40hp on it that we play around with. 35 mph is all it will do. Like he said. The bottoms are so rippled that they drag a lot and slow down.